Looking for a Tube Pre-found one!

kevinmi

I broke my beloved Cary SLP-98P-F1, so I sent it in for repairs. They are backlogged by a couple of months, so I'm looking for something to take it's place, and then be used for a second system later. Start climbing through your attic and see if you have any hidden treasures laying around. Thanks, Kevin

MapleTree Line 2 crm Brand new 800.00 3 in 2 out with remote. I am keeping mine but heres a link Call Lloyd if he already has one in the build you can get it in as little as 2 weeks.................................And it can use your existing stock of 6sn7. I personally think it is a very nice little pre

https://www.mapletreeaudio.com/index.html

• Like 1

I think joe made a good suggestion. And although mine wasn’t the F1 version, I once owned an SLP98. In my opinion it won’t take a lot of $$ to beat it. Also look at the Tortuga LDR preamps. Not tubes, but able to take down a lot of tube pres. 

Your search might lead you to relegate the Cary to the second system.

Shakey

I’ve owned a couple Maple Tree preamps - nice quiet little units with a decidedly “cottage industry” vibe. A very neutral sound for a tube preamp. You can also use the 12sx7 in place of the 6sn7 with the flip of a switch. Also most use a separate power supply and L/R volume pots with one central gain - 

7 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Your search might lead you to relegate the Cary to the second system.

I rather doubt that, as it's one of the best rated preamplifiers out there for the money. I can't believe you weren't impressed with yours. Maybe you left in the factory supplied EH tubes? But you are partially right, because I'm thinking about buying a second one, so one will end up in a second system!

I did try NOS tubes. I’m not saying it was bad, it was just too lush and not resolving at all. I can see where it might fit into some systems that are lean and/or bright. I have found that to be the Cary house sound as I didn’t care for the SLI-80 Signature either. But I have heard that the F1 versions are much improved.

Shakey

4 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I did try NOS tubes. I’m not saying it was bad, it was just too lush and not resolving at all. I can see where it might fit into some systems that are lean and/or bright. I have found that to be the Cary house sound as I didn’t care for the SLI-80 Signature either. But I have heard that the F1 versions are much improved.

Shakey

I've heard that also. I've never heard a stock unit, but I've read that the direct coupled option makes for a more accurate and faster sound. I do have big horns with 2 inch drivers , so my speakers can use a little mellow-ness thrown in the mix.

• kevinmi changed the title to Looking for a Tube Pre-found one!

Thanks to everyone who responded, there were very many good suggestions. I found a good deal on another Cary SLP-98p F1, and since I love my original so much, I decided it would be a good investment to buy a spare.I'm not sure how much longer Cary will be producing this fine sounding pre, and the prices are just going up on new and used units. The newer stuff from Cary after Dennis Had left isn't the same.

• Like 2