Can i use any of these inputs for 2ch+home theater?

Maximus89

Considering purchasing this multichannel unit. It sounds wonderful for 2ch. It's a 6ch tube pre amp, the center shuts off and the left and right surround auto bridges with the main L/R for 450wpc for a powerful sound combined with tube pre lush warmth that makes my v.1 CF-4 truly sing and hit me in the chest. It kills my McIntosh set up for 2ch, but i do have an MX120 and a 6ch Mac power amp which would allow me to sell my more costly Mac pre and power amp, IF i can use this unit pictured below for my 2ch integrated with the MX120.  Anyone got any ideas? I know i'd have to manually adjust the volume level every time i'd use it, but what do i connect to the MX120 for it work?

Thanks
1723704-50daeddb-pathos-cinema-x-integrated450w-x-2-or-110w-x-5450000.jpg

That's a 5 channel integrated. You would not have to connect your Mcintosh 120 to this, it already is a pre-amp. Unless you wanted the Mcintosh sound but only using this as an amp. But this unit has a tube pre and a ss amp section.

You can easily connect any source to the aux 5, 6, or 7. 

Switching it from 5 channel to 2 channel puts it in mono block mode.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

That's a 5 channel integrated. You would not have to connect your Mcintosh 120 to this, it already is a pre-amp. Unless you wanted the Mcintosh sound but only using this as an amp. But this unit has a tube pre and a ss amp section.

You can easily connect any source to the aux 5, 6, or 7. 

Switching it from 5 channel to 2 channel puts it in mono block mode.

Yes, i understand. I'm not liking the unit for 5.1 surround. The Mac is more dynamic w/ movies and i can't really integrate the sub properly with this tube pre, so the idea is the integrated acting as a stereo amp for analog music only and change the input to the one that would be connected to the mcintosh multi channel pre amp to use as L/R for surround. I would need an INPUT to use with the McIntosh L/R OUT? So would one of the AUX inputs work?

19 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

That Pathos does have a subwoofer out, why not use it? That's one robust amp, it doubles it's power from 8 to 4 ohms. Did it come with a manual, I know it's made in Italy.

It's a print out, not the original, and a lot of it doesn't make sense. Like it was translated poorly. And only really goes on about how to do the level trims and turn on/off and not to leave on 24 hours. That's basically it. I'm using the sub out, single subwoofer cable to my Sub. Tried the LFE on my Klipsch RSW-15, it was very low volume and barely kicked in during movies. Tried disabled LFE and lowpass enable-crossover at 70hz, but still using single rca cable, still very low volume. The level trim had to be turned all the way up and still it was quite low, but then movies it was loud. So it's kind of mismatched with the test tone. I had to raise the subwoofer volume all the way up and the trim on the unit all the way up. I tried both right and left rca inputs on the back of the sub at a time with a single rca cable.  I'm not sure if this has to do with needing to use a L/R stereo Y cable into single rca into the sub out in order to double the output? I'm just used to LFE, 120hz pass and using the crossover in my AVR's. This unit is all analog and i can only trim levels.

So to be sure, IF i wanted to use my McIntosh MX150 or MX120 as my primary home theater along with  the Pathos for 2ch analog, i would use my Pathos AUX L/R input to my L/R Pre Out on my MX150 or MX120.  So when i want to watch movies, i'd switch my Pathos to the AUX input to my McIntosh, and adjust my volume level manually to be level matched with the McIntosh center/SR/SL channel levels powered by a McIntosh MC7106.  For analog 2ch from my balanced DAC, i wouldn't need to power on anything but the Pathos and DAC. I haven't tried, but something tells me this will be a very distorted and noisy solution for movies. I'll give it a shot.