300 B SET amp. which speakers

pallpoul

Dennis Had is building me an Fire bottle SET with 300B tubes.

It's almost done, awaiting the face plate only. He says he is amazed with the sound of it so far.

Wondering Which of my Klipsch speakers would BEST match  with it ?  K-horns 70th, or CWII's, La Scalla's II, Heresy's III's, or Forte's III's ? 

DH 300 B.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Schu said:

LSii's... no question.

To all: just curious why the preference of the LS over the Khorns for pairing with 300B?  

Is it because of the LS lower bass output creating less power demand on the amp vs. the higher efficiency of the Khorns?

(full disclosure; I also have both heritage speakers and have been  dreaming of a 300B in my future)

35 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Power output?

looks like he has a pair of EH Gold 300B. I plan to use the TJ mesh 300 B.  can't justify spending more on NOS 300B tubes, they get crazy pricy.

I think the driver is a 6Sl7, and rolling it can make a big difference in sound, judging from other Dennis Had amps I have used, (rolling a good quality 6SL7 NOS). 

• 4 weeks later...

Great choice!

Looks absolutely stunning and I bet it sounds amazing. Happy listening :)

On 2/17/2021 at 10:51 AM, Schu said:

my preference is for LS over klipschorn because of the timing issue inherent with the Klipschorn. either speaker will kick your arse!

He's running 70ths with the closed cabinet. Those are a different animal compared to the open back models, the 70ths are more like AK6's than they are the AK5s, basically an AK5.5. The bass is deep and lightning fast. 100% on time with upper cabinet horns.

Hands down I'd take those over the LS' due to that extra bit of efficiency, a few dB once you get over 99-100 can make quite a difference.

Granted I would be inclined to agree with you taking the La Scala IIs over the older open back KHorns models though. Both amazing speakers either way. Just that the older KHorns need a perfect or near perfect corner. Anything other than that and the bass falls off a cliff and you can run into some of timing and and speed issues you alluded to.

Edited by sixspeed

On 2/28/2021 at 4:54 PM, pallpoul said:

Here it is, works great with the K-Horns.  Beats the Yamaha. . 

impressive , but the  Yamaha  A-S 1000 is  a very  nice amp--how much does the 300B amp  cost  in comparison to the A-1000