the sound of different tubes

Fasthenk65

sure they do... but it's more about power delivery.

I find that I moved UP the power line that the mid range became more forward and dominant... It's just different. my personal preference is for more balance across the entire range so I currently use a 34... which is NOT in favor with most tube enthusiasts. I have MANY different power tubes here, but I have settled into using the el34's (and Chinese tubes).

50926047328_ca59e0e5e1_k.jpg

you may experience some roll off at the poles with 34's.

the other tubes in the system have more influence on sound quality than the power tubes do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

As you probably know this subject is very subjective but if you do some reading you can get an idea of what sellers have to say here. In there search engine you have to hit enter to do a search. 

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/vacuum_tubes

Thank you. So many tubes... 😉

15 minutes ago, Schu said:

sure they do... but it's more about power delivery.

I find that I moved UP the power line that the mid range became more forward and dominant... It's just different. my personal preference is for more balance across the entire range so I currently use a 34... which is NOT in favor with most tube enthusiasts. I have MANY different power tubes here, but I have settled into using the el34's (and Chinese tubes).

50926047328_ca59e0e5e1_k.jpg

you may experience some roll off at the poles with 34's.

the other tubes have more influence on sound quality.

Thank you!

10 minutes ago, hanksjim1 said:

which amp will you be using?

I have to choose... Considering Primaluna Evo 300 (EL34) Soundmaster (EL34) or Ayon which can be had with KT88 or KT150... And listening to all is really impossible due to shops closed (for listening at least) Thank you

Edited by Fasthenk65

My amplifier will use all the above tubes, but in triode mode instead of pentode, which will have a different sound using the same tubes. I prefer EL-34 tubes in my system as compared to KT-88's or 120's or even 150's. But, and this is a big but, I use vintage tubes that are quite expensive. If you are going to use new production tubes, you aren't going to notice much of a difference because they are all built cheaply, using cheaper materials and such. Some are a little better that others, and some say the quality is improving, but there is still no comparing the two. Of course there are many other factors that will influence the sound, such as how the amplifier is built, the rest of the components in your system, etc. Everybody's system is different, so it's really a matter of your personal taste, and how much money you want to throw at it.

I prefer the sound of the EL-34 tube type because of it's more warm, tubey sound in my system. KT-88 type tubes sound to sterile, more like solid state to me. But this is my system, which I have spent years refining to get the sound I want..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

My amplifier will use all the above tubes, but in triode mode instead of pentode, which will have a different sound using the same tubes. I prefer EL-34 tubes in my system as compared to KT-88's or 120's or even 150's. But, and this is a big but, I use vintage tubes that are quite expensive. If you are going to use new production tubes, you aren't going to notice much of a difference because they are all built cheaply, using cheaper materials and such. Some are a little better that others, and some say the quality is improving, but there is still no comparing the two. Of course there are many other factors that will influence the sound, such as how the amplifier is built, the rest of the components in your system, etc. Everybody's system is different, so it's really a matter of your personal taste, and how much money you want to throw at it.

I prefer the sound of the EL-34 tube type because of it's more warm, tubey sound in my system. KT-88 type tubes sound to sterile, more like solid state to me. But this is my system, which I have spent years refining to get the sound I want..

Thanks. I was only able to listen to EL34's and thought they were a huge improvement over SS amp... I will be happy with all I guess being a newbie to tubes  🙂 but I can choose so just want the best possible for the new Heresy's. All input is helping + reading lot's on the internet (reviews). My selection is based on these reviews and customers reviews about quality of the equipment. I know it's all personal but also know that if most people go one direction normally that's the right one 😉 thank you all!

• Like 1

I have a Primaluna evo 400 and i have started playing with Tube Rolling with it. I started out with the stock EL34 tubes and it sounded great. I had those in for over a year and I then tried a couple of Brimar preamp tubes and I liked the difference they made. A few months later  my wife bought me 8 new KT150s and to my ears in my system I loved the change to the 150s over the el34s. Much more punchy mid bass and top end very clean. Having changed my Forte 1s to the new Forte IVs the mid base and mid range is just so much more dynamic at every level. I do not think I will ever go back to the EL 34s or get rid of the Brimars

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fido said:

I have a Primaluna evo 400 and i have started playing with Tube Rolling with it. I started out with the stock EL34 tubes and it sounded great. I had those in for over a year and I then tried a couple of Brimar preamp tubes and I liked the difference they made. A few months later  my wife bought me 8 new KT150s and to my ears in my system I loved the change to the 150s over the el34s. Much more punchy mid bass and top end very clean. Having changed my Forte 1s to the new Forte IVs the mid base and mid range is just so much more dynamic at every level. I do not think I will ever go back to the EL 34s or get rid of the Brimars

tnx

El-34 tubes are my favorites as well. Right now I am using 6L6 tubes in two of my amplifiers which use the EL-34 family of tubes. The KT-88 is supposed to have better bass and I am using them in an amplifier specifically made for KT-88's but do not find a lot of difference in sound form the EL-34 or 6L6 tubes. No experience with the 150's but as Shu said more power that is really not needed for most with horns. 

17 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

El-34 tubes are my favorites as well. Right now I am using 6L6 tubes in two of my amplifiers which use the EL-34 family of tubes. The KT-88 is supposed to have better bass and I am using them in an amplifier specifically made for KT-88's but do not find a lot of difference in sound form the EL-34 or 6L6 tubes. No experience with the 150's but as Shu said more power that is really not needed for most with horns. 

the kt 150s are not really just about more power. They just have a different sound - more mid to lower bass while the highs are crystal clear. I liked the EL 34s also but I have Forte IVs that are 99 db efficient and I think they sound better with the KT 150s than with my EL 34s. I think tube differences are more about synergy in every different system.

• Like 1

I like EL 34...  currently I'm using KT 77 , which in my amp put out 40 watts.   More than enough to drive the Heresy III that I was using.  Plenty of power for new Forte IV.  Like a EL 34 on steroids,  great bass and better top end but with plenty of that awesome midrange that family of tubes is known for.  

10 hours ago, Fido said:

I have the same amplifier and agree with what was said here.

I did not lose anything that I had with the EL-34's when I switched to the 150's.

The gains for me were tighter bass, more speed and more detail throughout.

They both sound great though and it is a personal preference.

As for NOS versus new comment all of my small tubes are NOS and they are much better than any of the current offerings I have tried, but the KT-150's are excellent tubes but be picky where you purchase them.

The joy of tubes.