the sound of different tubes

Fasthenk65

29 minutes ago, SonicSeeker said:

I have the same amplifier and agree with what was said here.

I did not lose anything that I had with the EL-34's when I switched to the 150's.

The gains for me were tighter bass, more speed and more detail throughout.

They both sound great though and it is a personal preference.

As for NOS versus new comment all of my small tubes are NOS and they are much better than any of the current offerings I have tried, but the KT-150's are excellent tubes but be picky where you purchase them.

The joy of tubes.

My KT150 tubes came from Upscale Audio and they are a top notch seller of premium tubes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SonicSeeker said:

Mine also came from Kevin at Upscale.

Kevin is very passionate about his Primaluna amps and tube amplifiers in general. 1/2 hour sitting in the showroom with Kevin was a good education for me. He did not try to sell me anything but the Evo 400 sold itself. As much as I liked my McIntosh hybrid integrated I felt the PL was at another level.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 12:36 PM, Fido said:

I have a Primaluna evo 400 and i have started playing with Tube Rolling with it. I started out with the stock EL34 tubes and it sounded great. I had those in for over a year and I then tried a couple of Brimar preamp tubes and I liked the difference they made. A few months later  my wife bought me 8 new KT150s and to my ears in my system I loved the change to the 150s over the el34s. Much more punchy mid bass and top end very clean. Having changed my Forte 1s to the new Forte IVs the mid base and mid range is just so much more dynamic at every level. I do not think I will ever go back to the EL 34s or get rid of the Brimars

WHAT A WIFE!

Congrats!

12 minutes ago, JeffLebowski said:

WHAT A WIFE!

Congrats!

My wife is awesome. So beautiful inside and out and we have fun, daily. When I bought my Forte IVs i found I had some cash in an account I did not realize I had any $$$ in. I had put away $$ for the new speakers but when my wife saw the credit card bill come in she paid it off from money she had made from her xmas bonus. She told me to keep my $$$ in case I wanted to buy other gear or whatever. That worked for me -lol

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

how's does the tweeter sound on the new Forte 4 -

My Forte 1s had dave As LMAHL tweeters that sound amazing. That said the new IVs tweeters sound better to me because of the better crossovers and smoother transition from the mid horn to the tweeter horn and new phase plug. Still not broken in yet but about 20 hours on them now and the high frequencies are already sounding less edgy and the balance is really sweet. The more I listen to them the more I love them. 

Also - I started playing with speaker placement and so far I have found that in my room with my furniture and flooring they sound best aimed straight ahead and 8-10 inches from the back wall. Moving them out farther from the wall doesn't sound any better nor worse but my Forte 1s sounded best 6 inches off the back wall. 6 inches off the back wall is about 2 inches too close. Soundstage is much wider and deeper with a much larger sweet spot.

On 2/18/2021 at 10:43 PM, pallpoul said:

for Heresy's iv, I would strongly recommend an SET amplifier, with few wpc, it will really make them shine.

I use a Dennis Had SET amp, with 6LS Tungsol's, new production, big tubes, excellent sound. I also use the matching pre amp by Dennis Had.  

1687927411_dennishadmonos6l6withamp.thumb.png.dca466713764f98fe4c47c0626fc6f1c.png

I agree. Being new to tubes the OP should look into the Inspire amps. They can use 6V6, 6L6, EL34, 6550, KT88, KT120 and KT150 tubes. The big plus is that the amps are single ended and they only need a pair of power tubes. 

On 2/19/2021 at 4:43 AM, pallpoul said:

for Heresy's iv, I would strongly recommend an SET amplifier, with few wpc, it will really make them shine.

I use a Dennis Had SET amp, with 6LS Tungsol's, new production, big tubes, excellent sound. I also use the matching pre amp by Dennis Had.  

1687927411_dennishadmonos6l6withamp.thumb.png.dca466713764f98fe4c47c0626fc6f1c.png

Thank you. I checked the sources on the web and they have quiet a following! Interested, does Dennis Had still produced them and where can I buy them. Is there a link? Thank you!

3 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Thank you. I checked the sources on the web and they have quiet a following! Interested, does Dennis Had still produced them and where can I buy them. Is there a link? Thank you!

https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/STEREO-TUBE-AMPLIFIER-INSPIRE-by-DENNIS-HAD-SET-TRIODE-SINGLE-ENDED-AMPLIFIER-/153221166951

Dennis Had makes beautiful one of a kind Amps and preamps. All hand made and point to point wiring. He is a master. If he'd had integrated amps with remote controls I would have bought one of those instead of my Primaluna.

8 hours ago, Fido said:

https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/STEREO-TUBE-AMPLIFIER-INSPIRE-by-DENNIS-HAD-SET-TRIODE-SINGLE-ENDED-AMPLIFIER-/153221166951

Dennis Had makes beautiful one of a kind Amps and preamps. All hand made and point to point wiring. He is a master. If he'd had integrated amps with remote controls I would have bought one of those instead of my Primaluna.

Thank you. I had seen this one but ended in 2018... And could not find any new link one ebay, nor on the web, FB or Insta.... Very interested to get in contact with this (small) company. 

Anybody an idea?

1 minute ago, rmlowz said:

Ebay is Dennis's best contact radioman731 he ships all over the world. I have two of his amps a Universal and 45 that I really enjoy. He just had a amp on the bay a few week ago. You will see more soon I am sure

Rich

I dropped him an mail via ebay (didn't even know that was possible, I get old) thank you

21 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I love my Inspire hot rod amp. Best sounding amp I've owned to date. There is a used inspire amp and preamp combo on US Audiomart right now for $2100 I believe.

bit afraid of used and shipping to Europe, let's wait until Dennis responds to my e-mail 🙂 and hope he makes integrateds don't wanna go the pre-amp route... keep you posted. 

• Like 1