the sound of different tubes

Fasthenk65

2 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Fido, can you describe what the KT150's did compared to the EL34's?

I loved the sound of the el34s but wanted to try tube rolling just to know if I was missing something. The kT 150s made the mid bass sound much more solid or punchy while the mid range and high end sounded even cleaner and pronounced than the el 34s. The kt150s did not add any fatigue to listening and the amp seems more authorities with the KT 150s. With the new Forte IVs better mid and low bass the Kt150s seem to be a perfect match. In conclusion the EL 34s sounded great and very analog. The KT150s sound analog too but at the same time they have a punch found in high end solid state amps without sounding solid state at all. So best of both worlds if that makes any sense. I can not see me ever going back to the EL34s but if I had to I would be ok with them but I definitely prefer the sound of the KT150s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffLebowski said:

Hi Fido, 

Sorry if you have mentioned this already but curious to know if you have used the K120's? And if so, how they compare to the 150's?

Again, I apologize if you have mentioned this previously.

Thanks

Hi Jeff - I jumped to the 150s directly from the EL 34s because I figured to GO BIG or GO HOME. Since I am not rich I thought about KT77s, 88s and 120s nut that would have been a lot of $$$$$$ so I thought I would try the 150s and hoped I would like those as I could always just plug my EL34s in if I didn't love the 150s.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fido said:

I loved the sound of the el34s but wanted to try tube rolling just to know if I was missing something. The kT 150s made the mid bass sound much more solid or punchy while the mid range and high end sounded even cleaner and pronounced than the el 34s. The kt150s did not add any fatigue to listening and the amp seems more authorities with the KT 150s. With the new Forte IVs better mid and low bass the Kt150s seem to be a perfect match. In conclusion the EL 34s sounded great and very analog. The KT150s sound analog too but at the same time they have a punch found in high end solid state amps without sounding solid state at all. So best of both worlds if that makes any sense. I can not see me ever going back to the EL34s but if I had to I would be ok with them but I definitely prefer the sound of the KT150s.

Thanks!!

I am sold on tubes.

Today was invited by dealer to listen to some amps. This on CW's and new out of the box H4's. Tried the Line magnetic 211 and 845.

As for the speakers; CW's superb but so happy with my choice for Heresy IV in my small room. They are great with tubes!

The 211 with EL34 must be the cheapest tube amp available but it was great. Those voices, the guitar strings amazing.

Maybe I was missing some 'slam' with heavier music (Green Day in this case) but overall just great.

The 845 is overall more 'refined' and maybe a bit 'smoother' (like a super  El34...) and man I loved the 845 tubes!!!!!! 3 times as expensive though. Tubes are so much fun!

regards!

IMG_8906.JPG

Edited by Fasthenk65

• 2 weeks later...