Electrovoice Sentry IVB score

Ray_pierrewit

On 3/27/2021 at 5:09 PM, Ray_pierrewit said:

The coroplast, I believe, is a really great material for this type of diffuser. They've been installed for two years now and are held in place by tension only. I purchased them in 4x8' sheets at the hardware store, though art supply shops and print shops should also have them. They cut easily with an xacto blade and t square. Aluminum j moulding is cheap and easy to install and works a charm.

Thanks for the feedback!  That looks like a great solution.  I'll have to look more into this when I'm ready to start building.

To everyone else, sorry for hijacking this tread. I'll continue any further discussions elsewhere.

On 3/27/2021 at 3:09 PM, Ray_pierrewit said:

The coroplast, I believe, is a really great material for this type of diffuser. They've been installed for two years now and are held in place by tension only. I purchased them in 4x8' sheets at the hardware store, though art supply shops and print shops should also have them. They cut easily with an xacto blade and t square. Aluminum j moulding is cheap and easy to install and works a charm.

This is the stuff they sell at Home Depot? Looks like it comes in different thicknesses.But only 1 thickness at Home Depot  How thick is the material you used? And is it paintable?

4 hours ago, babadono said:

This is the stuff they sell at Home Depot? Looks like it comes in different thicknesses.But only 1 thickness at Home Depot  How thick is the material you used? And is it paintable?

I think it does come in various thicknesses, mine are 4mm or 1/8". I wouldn't paint it, though they can be printed on. Don't know about the USA, but in Canada all of our outdoor election posters are printed on these.

I'll respond regarding the actual speakers shortly. I've made some really important changes to my system and will report when I'm ready.

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2021 at 3:25 PM, RandyH000 said:

so can you give us details as to these speakers -----a review

I'm not sure this is the appropriate forum to continue with this thread as these have nothing to do with Klipsch. I've started to post on the Audio Asylum Hi Eff Speakers forum if you'd like to read/see my system progress. Unless, of course, the members/moderators here see no problems with me posting about other brands of loudspeakers... in which case I'd be too happy to continue.

Ray - I don't think it's too out of place (even though djk posted a picture of some on a burn pile with lots of flames... 🤯 ). Always nice to hear a comparison. Are you leaving them vertical or placing on their sides?

Bruce

12 hours ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

I've started to post on the

-I doubt klipsch forum members would follow you to another speaker forum  , and feel free to express yourself -  the discussion is open as long as you want it to be -

On 4/2/2021 at 11:21 AM, RandyH000 said:

-I doubt klipsch forum members would follow you to another speaker forum  , and feel free to express yourself -  the discussion is open as long as you want it to be -

Fair enough, I'll keep this thread alive as things have changed quite a lot in the past few weeks. Plus the original Sentry IV-B's design was almost certainly inspired by Klipsch designs, what with the W bass bin and all. Also, didn't older Heritage models use EV drivers?

Quick rundown of the speakers with modifications (then you can skip straight to the picture if the rest is too long winded):

- @ClaudeJ1 's QPies bass bins with Eminence Kappa 15c drivers.

- Allen A55G mid drivers in SM120A mid horns.

- Original EV tweeters, I have a pair of @Dave A SMAHL lenses with DE120 that I intend to try in the coming weeks.

So my system is now tri amped, following @Chris A's suggestion. I've decided to use a vintage Sony TA-4300F channel dividing preamp. This is a 1970s active crossover which has been recapped by the previous owner. Though it doesn't benefit from the numerous advantages of modern DSP, it has allowed me to dip my toes in this approach to system building. From what I've found online, the Sony unit is much appreciated and sought after by the french and japanese active crossover crowd, and they've been touting tri amplification with horns for a couple of decades at least! There are apparently plans created by someone at La Maison de l'Audiophile in Paris to improve it's performance. An obvious shortfall in the published measurements is the 85dB S/N ratio, definitely not state of the art "HI-FI". That said, it only adds a tiny bit of hiss through the tweeters/mids, a small price to pay for what I've gained elsewhere.

The amplifier is a 6x75W Classé CAV-75, a multichannel amp from the late 90s. From the company's description: "Bl-POLAR? MOSFET? J-FET? Most high-end amplifiers use only one type of transistor. At Classé, we use all three in a unique sequence that makes the most of their particular voltage and input impedance characteristics. In addition, we have designed small but highly efficient extruded aluminum heat sinks that disperse transistor generated heat, ensuring maximum output without distortion." Don't know what any of that really means,  I just remember Chris liking MOSFETS. It's strange coming from a flea powered 2A3 SET and EL84 SEP background. The most powerful amp I've ever owned was a Scott 299B. Tri amped 75W per channel seems total overkill in my mind. I've got to say though, this amp is something smooth. @JMON is perhaps the only other guy on this forum that's written about Classé amps here. I think they are tremendous value, and we're proudly made in my province of Québec.

@RandyH000, in post #6 I "reviewed and compared" the Sentrys to my LaScalas. So many elements have changed since posting that it warrants another "review", I suppose.

I moved the LaScalas inside the family home, on the main floor which had been lacking good speakers since I sold my Forté Is last summer. I'm so fortunate to be able to flood the home with some stock LaScala love! My wife and I hoisted the Sentrys on top of the Qpies, tucked into the corners as pictured. The sound was no longer lean and could give a run to the LaScala's bass in the same position. A tie to my ears. My previous comments on the mid horn stand, smoother than the K400 with great directivity/coverage. A member on the other forum called it "cloud like". I get great balance walking around anywhere in the studio, even right up to speakers they stay smooth. I enjoyed them stock for a couple of days before wiring in the Qpies which brought an entire new dimension to the music! Thank-you again Claude for this brilliant design! In my application it just makes sense. Double bass, kick drums and even electric guitars gain so much raw, grunt power. Like live music.

Adding the Sony crossover, CAV-75 amp and installing the A55G really woke everything up! The ability to change the crossover points on the fly as well as the bass boost and low channel frequency shift knobs, I've managed to tailor a sound that I find very pleasing. I want to learn how to use the UMIK and REW to attempt to objectively flatten the FR. For now I've used my ears and feet.

My current system goals: excellent coverage, high dynamic impact and low distortion. This system ticks all of those boxes in spades, so I guess it's time for future system goals! In the very short term, I will physically time align the tweeters by building a box for the SM120A and setting the tweeters back on top, this is also when I'll try the SMAHL tweeters. The Sentry bass bin will be set on it's side, thus lower the mid/tweeters  to my seated height. The final goal will be to get truly full range speakers with a couple of horn subwoofers. This will likely take some time, next year at the earliest. I don't outright exclude to possibility of getting a DSP based xover.

I'll post photos as these goals are reached.

Studio1.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

I moved the LaScalas inside the family home, on the main floor which had been lacking good speakers since I sold my Forté Is last summer. I'm so fortunate to be able to flood the home with some stock LaScala love! My wife and I hoisted the Sentrys on top of the Qpies, tucked into the corners as pictured. The sound was no longer lean and could give a run to the LaScala's bass in the same position. A tie to my ears. My previous comments on the mid horn stand, smoother than the K400 with great directivity/coverage. A member on the other forum called it "cloud like". I get great balance walking around anywhere in the studio, even right up to speakers they stay smooth. I enjoyed them stock for a couple of days before wiring in the Qpies which brought an entire new dimension to the music! Thank-you again Claude for this brilliant design! In my application it just makes sense. Double bass, kick drums and even electric guitars gain so much raw, grunt power. Like live music.

Adding the Sony crossover, CAV-75 amp and installing the A55G really woke everything up! The ability to change the crossover points on the fly as well as the bass boost and low channel frequency shift knobs, I've managed to tailor a sound that I find very pleasing. I want to learn how to use the UMIK and REW to attempt to objectively flatten the FR. For now I've used my ears and feet.

My current system goals: excellent coverage, high dynamic impact and low distortion. This system ticks all of those boxes in spades, so I guess it's time for future system goals! In the very short term, I will physically time align the tweeters by building a box for the SM120A and setting the tweeters back on top, this is also when I'll try the SMAHL tweeters. The Sentry bass bin will be set on it's side, thus lower the mid/tweeters  to my seated height. The final goal will be to get truly full range speakers with a couple of horn subwoofers. This will likely take some time, next year at the earliest. I don't outright exclude to possibility of getting a DSP based xover.

Good work overall and great job on the Quarter Pies. I'm glad you are enjoying them. Since you can cross at 50-60 Hz. from the Qpies, you can build a Tapped Horn Subwoofer, like the LAB 12/Coffee Table sub. 

• 1 year later...

I am confused about the bass boxes. I thought that the 2-12 box was called the TL-4050 and the 2-15 box(Wbin/folded horn was the TL-5050.  I will have to check my archives when I am home.

Anyway, I just bought four of the SM120A's from an estate. The previous owner used two EV sentry IVB systems in his house for his hi fi. Two SM120A's per side.. One used an 1823 and the other an 1824. I thought that was unusual. I am interested in how they will sound, but I will be trying out EV 1823's with them.

Edited by MittmittDA
other information

• 2 months later...