Dynaco Mark II's - To Replace A Solid State Amp?

MacWorks

So I purchased a pair of Heresy II's last year and have them paired with a Adcom preamp and an Mondial Acurus amp. Very please with the overall sound.

I have an opportunity to buy a couple of redone Dynaco Mark II's for $800 . The owner states that the are 10 watts ( thought these were 50 watt mono blocks) .  So my question is will this be a jaw dropping improvement or will it just be a PIA for me and a money pit replacing tubes?

Would a tube pre-amp give me a bigger bang for my buck?

I listen to flac files and use Roon on a Raspberry Pi, along with Qobuz and Tidal.

TIA

4 minutes ago, veloceleste said:

Very interesting ... looks like a MK III with EL34 tubes.

EDIT: Or should I say that the MK III looks like a MK II with 6550 tubes?

Edited by Edgar
Commentary

10 hours ago, avguytx said:

The OP. When copied from another site,  it takes the format with it.  I've done that before myself. 

I see plain text in my browser (Opera), so I'm wondering what formatting you see that I don't? Off-topic, so no need to dwell on it too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Dynaco amps, if well restored will be reliable. The quality of the restoration is key. Find a tech you like and trust. They are old enough that even if they are running well and sound great they may need to be gone through. Old components drift. There's more to it than replacing output tubes. 

The tube pre vs tube amp is standing discussion. I opt for tube amps and SS  or tube preamps. My thinking is that the speakers couple directly with the amp's output transformer while the pre couples with USB, CD players, bluetooth receivers and of course phono cartridges.  Stepping up phono and adding the RIAA correction seems less magical than taking line level and bringing it up to 85db without any nasty harmonics. That said, I run a tube pre into tube amps during the winter. I am still blown away. 

Heresys will reward quality sources. Have fun. I bet your rig sounds great right now.

On 2/19/2021 at 12:37 AM, MacWorks said:

So I purchased a pair of Heresy II's last year and have them paired with a Adcom preamp and an Mondial Acurus amp. Very please with the overall sound.

I have an opportunity to buy a couple of redone Dynaco Mark II's for $800 . The owner states that the are 10 watts ( thought these were 50 watt mono blocks) .  So my question is will this be a jaw dropping improvement or will it just be a PIA for me and a money pit replacing tubes?

Would a tube pre-amp give me a bigger bang for my buck?

I listen to flac files and use Roon on a Raspberry Pi, along with Qobuz and Tidal.

TIA

IMHO, it's certainly not a bad investment, @MacWorks...

Well, only 10Watts RMS coming from a pair of EL34 in a Dynaco MKII amp is somewhat curious...

That said, I drive my HERESY I HBR with a pair of compact 10Watts DIY OTL monoblocks, and it is way enough to reach an unbearable loudness level ! :) 

8bZXJb-P1100316.jpg

So with your "reputedly" MKII 10W Dynacos, it should work fine... Maybe the power tubes are connected in triode mode ?

Cheers,