KP-301 Mixed Set - Opinions

Outrider 6

15 hours ago, Outrider 6 said:

My major concern would be an unbalanced load doing some sort of damage to the amp...I think that concern is overblown, but I hardly want to be wrong on that point.

My gut feel is to enjoy them as they are.  Glad you feel the same.

If you pull the grill covers off take a picture and post it here that would tell us a lot, there should be a very obvious difference in mid horns; the 301-II horn is almost twice as tall as the 301's.

• Thanks 1

Judging by how my house sounds with a myriad assortment of klipsch speakers all running at the same time, they will sound more than ok together.  The 301 ii might be a touch brighter in the mid horn area as it has a bigger profile and greater area of dispersion from my understanding.  I think their sensitivity rating is slightly different as well (101db vs 104db), probably that updated horn.  Both speakers are 8ohm impedance so your amp wouldn't be doing anything crazy. 

Below is what I run all at the same time with a stereo signal via my ecler evo 5 dj mixer and multiple amps. 

1984 cornwalls (1.5's) pair

KG 4.2 - pair

Heresy ii's - pair 

kp-250 - pair

kp-115 - pair

kg 2.2 - just one

kg 2 - just one

kp -301 - pair

Charlie

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2021 at 4:38 PM, Outrider 6 said:

My major concern would be an unbalanced load doing some sort of damage to the amp...I think that concern is overblown, but I hardly want to be wrong on that point.

My gut feel is to enjoy them as they are.  Glad you feel the same.

You are not going to hurt your amp running these at the same time. Both are 8 ohm speakers. The 301 II's will sound a bit harsh  on the HF due to the Ti diaphragm in comparison to the 301 I so you will never get them to sound as good as a complete set of 301 I's. They still should be good sounding as a set.

• Thanks 1

I found myself in a similar situation after bartering my way into a pair of KP-301s that now serve as my garage speakers.

Mine were a mismatch, although both were series ones but had a mixture of series 1 and 2 drivers and crossovers. The woofer differences were not significant and I simply replaced the mismatched crossovers with a fresh pair of Crites crossovers and I am extremely happy with the speakers!

Jon

• Thanks 1

I was expecting a tractrix squawker in the KP-301-II speaker.  The lens isn’t the same as in my Quartet, which should be the same tractrix squawker as in a Chorus II.  

The tweeter and squawker arrangement in both of my CP-301s looks exactly like what’s in my Chorus I.  See the photos. Quartet is on top. 

Also shoutouts to Charlie, Dave A, and Jon for your remarks about electrical loading and sound differences. 

B266E431-DF98-46B1-AD8C-F7BBABE2777F.jpeg

168DBA4F-6451-41A8-8AB2-D3DA9712D870.jpeg

• Like 1

Those are definitely the 1’s which I think you have come to that conclusion as well. So you have a newer k48 woofer and the updated version of the crossover which says version ii.  The spacing in between each driver on the front board is much more condensed on the 2nd version.  Did you plug em in yet?  What did you think? 

I did hook them up and I’m very happy.  

I suspect that, like many things Klipsch, that there were running changes with the CP-301 v.2. I’m speculating that my -2 was early production (hence the minor differences with the v.1) but I may have to go to the Klipsch historian to sort that kind of running change out.

Perhaps more importantly, I should verify the components I actually have. That’s not an immediate priority, but if I get some unencumbered time this weekend...

• Like 1

I didn’t get the chance to pull out the drivers this weekend, but I did play the speakers some.  I have an NAD D3020 digital amp...about 30 watts, small, pretty accurate, and takes a bunch of different inputs.  It’s nice to have something so portable.  It showed me that KP-301s put out an amazing amount of sound per watt.  I didn’t play anything with heavy bass, so I can’t comment on whether something was missing down low.  Everything sounded clear and detailed, though.  Makes me want to get them into a more permanent location so I can listen to them some more. 

• Like 1