SOLD Nice Rare Vintage EL84 amp total restoration SOLD

joessportster

I bought this AMP off of Chris Keller here in North Carolina it is a PP el-84 making approx 17 wpc. It is dead quiet on my 100DB Open Baffle Full Range speakers. I pasted Chris'es description below. The amp sounds great. Everyone here knows me by now and knows I am in a constant state of upheaval with my system. I had never heard a S.R. amp and I wanted to,  so I bought it. I paid 875.00 for it and picked it up directly from Chris. I have put approx 30 hours on the amp and it is hands down one of the best EL-84 PP amps I have heard. 

I will sell it here for 750.00plus shipping and fees if any. Tubes included are same as mentioned in the description below. Pics are the actual amp offered

"Here is a wonderful example of an extremely rare power amplifier - the Sargent Rayment SR 534. Sargent Rayment audio gear is as scarce as hens teeth.

It was a company out of California back in the 40's through early 60's that made limited models of tube power amps, integrateds, preamps and tuners.

The company didn't sell very far outside of the west coast. However, the limited information on the web blogs all said S-R amplifiers were fantastic,

if you could find them. Thus, you rarely ever see them come up for sale anywhere, and the few I have seen over the years have been beat up pretty badly.

This one is in very nice condition.
Stock, it sounded very good. However, when I updated this with all new PIO caps, and all new metal film resistors throughout the signal path, it brought

it to a whole new level. It sounds absolutely amazing. The music just floats, with 3-D-like imaging, and mids and highs just life-like.
I would compare the sound of the 534 to the venerable Pilot 232 but with perhaps a bit more "oomph" in the low end, and a wider, even more detailed soundstage.

This 534 runs absolutely dead quiet, so it is ideal for even the most efficient speakers. It also runs very cool - the S-R design being more spacious

underneath perhaps helps in that regard. Tubes are vintage 6AN8 drivers, a quad of milspec 6p14p outputs, and a vintage 5AR4 rectifier. All tubes test

super strong and are tightly matched.
As noted, it is in very nice shape cosmetically. The front and top show almost no signs of wear. It appears the side panels had been painted when I received it,

but they match pretty close. I did replace the barrier strips with binding posts and added a power switch. You are getting this for what I paid for it in stock condition"

Sargent Rayment SR-534 Power Amplifier - Updated, Rare, Awesome!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • joessportster changed the title to SOLD Nice Rare Vintage EL84 amp total restoration SOLD