Klipsch RC-64 vs RC-7 (revived)

schwock5

It's been a few years since i've seen some comments on this.

Anyone have any further updates or comparisons?

I currently have the RC-7 paired with my RF-7s, however, in the interest of lowering the TV, if you had the option to do a direct trade just to lower the height, is there a true sacrifice in sound?

I know the RC-7 is the true match for the RF-7, but curious if anyone has any updated thoughts.

This is strictly for the 1st generation (not mk ii, or iii)

Thank you,

From what I've gathered over the years, the RC-64 and each of its successors have an increasingly laid back sound to them.

I can't imagine that the difference in height would be worth the none-matching center.  Aren't we talking a couple inches difference?

28 minutes ago, schwock5 said:

given the extra drivers and width does it provide better off axis sound as well compared to the 7s or worse?

if sitting close i'm concerned about off axis seats given the angle wold be greater.

I'm going to paste this, it's from Klipsch.....

Klipsch Tapered ArrayTM technology operates all of the woofers at the lowest frequencies – maintaining the high output capability necessary for good center channel performance – but only two operate all the way through the midrange to where the tweeter takes over. This eliminates acoustic interference between the woofer outputs, a flaw in conventional speaker designs that can severely impair sound quality at the sides of the listening area.

3 hours ago, schwock5 said:

I currently have the RC-7 paired with my RF-7s, however, in the interest of lowering the TV, if you had the option to do a direct trade just to lower the height, is there a true sacrifice in sound?

I know the RC-7 is the true match for the RF-7, but curious if anyone has any updated thoughts.

I've tried to pursue this topic over the years but in particular to the RC-64II (and now RC-64III) blending with the original RF-7s. I have heard the original RC-64 and think it's warmer than the RC-7, but then again it was designed to go with RF-83s which also were warmer than the traditional Klipsch sound. IOW, I think if you want something comparable to the RC-7 in a lower/wider design go with the latter 2 RC-64s mentioned above. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, schwock5 said:

so since they both have it moot point. hmm, i guess i thought the RC-7 was much taller than the RC-64, since it's fairly negligible i guess not worth bothering.

maybe i should upgrade the crossovers of the RF and Center instead 

Sounds like the best plan to me!

23 hours ago, schwock5 said:

This is strictly for the 1st generation (not mk ii, or iii)

Thank you,

21 hours ago, schwock5 said:

so since they both have it moot point. hmm, i guess i thought the RC-7 was much taller than the RC-64, since it's fairly negligible i guess not worth bothering.

maybe i should upgrade the crossovers of the RF and Center instead 

Umm...Why change anything and spend the money on something else?  Of course, it's your money but that's my take since you aren't considering a sub. Fwiw, I have those same front speakers and they still sound fabulous. :) 

Any guidance in best/easiest way to upgrade rf7 and rc7? Is it worth it? I've heard of the deanG upgrades. Are there others? Whats reccomended? I've had these for 15 years,  instead of replacing speakers a small.uogesde might be what carries them the next 15

I have had a RF7/RC7/RS7 system since the early 2000s. I originally started out with a RSW-15 SW and have subsequently ( a couple of years ago) moved to a SVS PB-16 Ultra.

I am not sure what an upgrade would be - I am interested in others responses. 

IMO, move into a house and get a boss SW - it makes all the difference - especially for movies.

Edit add: I too considered a RC-64ii/iii as my tv stand (Salamander Synergy quad series) only just fits the RC7. I had to remove the shelf "feet" to get the RC7 to fit, so an inch or so diff with the RC-64ii/iii would make a diff for me. Never did it though.

5 minutes ago, Amstaff said:

I am not sure what an upgrade would be - I am interested in others responses. 

IMO, move into a house and get a boss SW - it makes all the difference - especially for movies.

I think you are good to go...The only thing to toy with is if you can have a larger footprint for your speakers I would/have considered larger Klipsch Heritage line...Of course I'm biased. ;)

On 2/20/2021 at 11:38 AM, schwock5 said:

Any guidance in best/easiest way to upgrade rf7 and rc7? Is it worth it? I've heard of the deanG upgrades. Are there others? Whats reccomended? I've had these for 15 years,  instead of replacing speakers a small.uogesde might be what carries them the next 15

The RF-7's have a decent upgrade available, but the RC-7 shouldn't need much of anything.  That crossover is one of the better built designs, and I wouldn't mess with it.  I know Bob had done a number of RF XO updates, but I'm not sure if anyone has taken over that, and I'm not sure if Dean is still in business either.  The only real meaningful upgrades to the RF-7's would be the XO.

4 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

The RF-7's have a decent upgrade available, but the RC-7 shouldn't need much of anything.  That crossover is one of the better built designs, and I wouldn't mess with it.  I know Bob had done a number of RF XO updates, but I'm not sure if anyone has taken over that, and I'm not sure if Dean is still in business either.  The only real meaningful upgrades to the RF-7's would be the XO.

I believe it was to tame the tweeter.