CHORUS BRACING

Chorus1 Fan

I know not everyone agrees with bracing (which is OK ) & may not think it's necessary. But since I just bought a 2nd pair of Chorus 1's I am easily able to do a side by side comparison/experiment.

If I gently "slap" the sides of my new pair, there is an obvious loud hollow echo/resonance coming from the long sides. But when I slap the one's I braced a few years ago (build thread on here) It is a SOLID quiet "Thunk" w/o any resonance. I'm reasonably sure the unbraced box would resonate in a similar way at high volumes when the big 15" moves ALOT of air.

I'm not into crazy bracing, just two above & below the 15" pro woofer, & then a wider crosspiece going side to side which stiffens the sides at the 1/3 way up & 1/3 way down points.

I believe it cleans up & "tightens" the mid-bass, & makes a difference you can hear, so I'll definately be bracing my new walnut one's the same way as my oak ones...

20210219_151313.jpg

• Like 2

Of course have followed your mods here, as you may recall.

Not a critic in the least, as your speakers, etc.

With my Chorus, as had said did 

not do even the port mod, let alone bracings.

Guess I really was happy with the cabinets resonance.

Good job once again...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Of course have followed your mods here, as you may recall.

Not a critic in the least, as your speakers, etc.

With my Chorus, as had said did 

not do even the port mod, let alone bracings.

Guess I really was happy with the cabinets resonance.

Good job once again...

Yep, I recall you encouraging me! It's cool that all of us here get to decide for ourselves how far we wanna go down the "modification" path.

There's nothing really wrong with their factory stock sound, I just happen to think that some of these "improvement" mods possibly weren't done @ the factory b/c it would have added additional costs (time & labor) w/o increasing their selling price/profit margin.

Even now (years later) to gain any benefit, it depends on HOW we listen & WHAT we mostly listen to. Realistically, port extension & bracing mods probably only make a difference when the volume is up to a pretty good level. (IE: Chorus cabinets don't resonate at Iow & medium volume levels) I don't always have mine playing loud, but certain songs sound best "cranked up" & that's where the port mods & bracing shine 😎

• Thanks 1

Here's a list of the songs (all on CD) I play LOUD. All are filled with clean dynamic mid-bass & sound great with these mods! (try em on your favorite model of Klipsch)

Songs to "show off" your Klipsch:

ZZ Top: "Fool for your Stockings" (best mixed version is found on "One Foot in the Blues")

Pat Donohue: "The Road to Kingdom Come"

Police: "Murder by Numbers"

Dire Straits: "Six Blade Knife"

Los Lobos: "Kiko & the Lavendar Moon"

Steve Winwood: "Higher Love"

Pink Floyd: "Time"

Thin Lizzy: Cowboy Song

KD Lang: "Constant Craving"

Tracy Chapman: "Fast Car"

Cowboy Junkies: "Sweet Jane"

John Secada: "Just Another Day"

Shannon: "Let the Music Play"

Ace of Base: "All that She Wants"

Copeland: "Fanfare for the Common Man"

Pachelbel: "Kanon" (On Telarc)

nice job on the bracing!  i for one am a big believer in bracing big boxy cabinets & so are many other mid-upper end speaker brands.  never understood why klipsch doesnt do that in these models, especially for the price of todays "heritage" models... $1-$2 worth of bracing in the cabinets would not add much cost at all & would be a big improvement IMO. 

ive owned quite a few sets of chorus2 & forte/forte2 as well as many other KG & epics & they all are very hollow sounding with a light knock or slap on the sides or tops.  the chorus 2 will actually make a ringing sound with a medium/hard slap on the sides & forte2 also do it to a lesser extent, it's a combination of the cabinet & horns/passives which is why many use a dampening material on the horn & woofer/passive frames.  how much of that you actually hear is debatable but everyone i've read about that braced their cabinets reported noticeable positive improvements. 

i've seen many other mid to upper level brands of speakers brace their cabinets & its for a reason... im sure some will say the unbraced klipsch cabinets are "part of their designed sound" etc etc but its a fact that cabinet flexing causes unwanted negative effects in the sound.  just look inside many of the more expensive brands of speakers, they all use some form of bracing &/or filling to reduce those issues.  & for car audio with big subwoofer boxes, any decent quality ones are always braced.  

another brand of speakers i own & like a lot are definitive technology, not so much the current models after they were sold to sound united, but the original models & up to the last 10-15 years or so.  the cabinets are built crazy strong & when you knock or slap any side they are as solid as a brick!  they use a lot of internal bracing but also use 1" thick motor boards made from a high density fiber board, not standard MDF many other speakers use & they are glued with a super strong epoxy glue, not crappy hot glue gun stuff many of the klipsch models used, & we all know how the glue failed on far too many klipsch models from this era. 

bracing cabinets is a good thing

• Thanks 1

Bracing is in progress! I included a pic to show the "method" I use. It's a combo of wood clamps and/or weights. I could pull the mid-horn & use two clamps, but I don't want to mess with their woodscrews...

A "side to side" brace across the middle will be glued on next. (Adding 1 above the woofer & 1 below the woofer dramatically stiffens the speaker sidewalls)

20210227_084530_resized.jpg

& Crossover is coming out soon for recap

• Like 2

Upper crosspiece is on & clamped. Tomorrow I will glue a small block/brace on "top" of each end (actually it's beneath once speaker gets flipped upright). This ties the crosspiece to the side walls which REALLY firms it up & gives it that solid "thunk" when slapped 😃

20210306_160415_resized.jpg

& the Chorus side panels sure look like plywood to me (all the brochures say it's "mdf")

18 hours ago, 4JaxJags said:

Upper crosspiece is on & clamped. Tomorrow I will glue a small block/brace on "top" of each end (actually it's beneath once speaker gets flipped upright). This ties the crosspiece to the side walls which REALLY firms it up & gives it that solid "thunk" when slapped 😃

20210306_160415_resized.jpg

& Chorus sides are PLYWOOD (brochures say "mdf")

are you sure about that? strange klipsch would state MDF if its really plywood.  i had a set of forte & chorus2 that had small chips on the corners & they definitely looked like MDF.  were chorus made differently using plywood? 

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Heard that the baffle board was ply and that rings true when looking at portholes. Think 1 inch... 

Yep baffle is 1 inch plywood on the Chorus models veneered (front and back) MDF panels everywhere else. The new pro line like the ki-396's are the exact opposite; the cabinet is plywood but baffles are 1 inch MDF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 4JaxJags said:

Hard to "quote" an answer to all 3 of you at once, but here's why I said plywood

This is a pic of one of the interior sides. (& other side is the same) I'm no woodworker, but sure looks like plywood to me... opinions ?

20210306_173441~2_resized_1.jpg

You can see the "plies" on the woofer opening, the front board is 1 inch plywood 100% without a doubt. The inside side panel is MDF it just has real wood veneer on both sides. I had a pair of damaged kg 4.2's that ended up in a fire pit I thought they were plywood as well until I broke them apart.

• Thanks 1

Well, to add more to the "mystery" I just took a pic of the rear panel where the crossover mounts. What is this rear panel made of? layered MDF? (& I'm not asking as a smart aleck, just asking to clarify/learn...

20210307_134818_resized.jpg

It looks like "Mr. Plywood" & "Mrs. MDF" had a baby 😂

24 minutes ago, 4JaxJags said:

Well, to add to the "mystery" 😃 I just took a pic of the rear panel where the crossover mounts. What is this made of? layered MDF?(& I'm not asking as a smart aleck, just asking to clarify/learn...

20210307_134818_resized.jpg

It looks like "Mr. Plywood" & "Mrs. MDF" had a baby 😂

yes thats plywood, as jjptkd posted its used on the front & rear boards, the sides, top & bottoms are veneered MDF. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 2:59 PM, EpicKlipschFan said:

yes thats plywood, as jjptkd posted its used on the front & rear boards, the sides, top & bottoms are veneered MDF. 

Thought so, & both are 1", but it appears to have less layers (& they are thicker) than the front motorboard plywood pic. I retook/edited the previous front motorboard pic to show layers better. I can count maybe 6 or 7 layers on the rear board, but either 10 or 11 are on the front, & those #'s don't include the surface veneer layers either.

Thicker layers = my Mr. Plywood - Mrs. MDF joke 😂