CHORUS BRACING

Chorus1 Fan

18 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I had a pair of damaged kg 4.2's that ended up in a fire pit I thought they were plywood as well until I broke them apart.

Anyone here ever had or seen a "broken" Chorus 1 side panel? (Mookie?) Or burnt one 😂

Aha! "playing detective" I flipped em & took a pic of the riser wood. It's veneered (?birch) MDF just like you described. so I'm sure the sides/top/bottom are the same stuff. Still makes me wonder why Klipsch did that (cost, accoustics, etc.)

I posted my "why" question over in the ask the historian section to widen the opinions ( esp. for Jim & HDBRBuilder's)

20210308_080131_resized.jpg

Only thing I saw was water damaged mdf.

I do know the motor board was 1" plywood. Sides mdf, not sure of the back. They weren't my speakers so I really didn't mess with them that much. Just measured them and built new cabinets. Matthews took all the drivers out, put them into the new cabinet that he finished out. I did add a few braces to the design though.

post-36834-0-18800000-1441475052_thumb.j

Here's a pic of the small "cleat" glued on the side to side brace. This is what really glues the side brace to the side cabinet wall.

You can also see my 3/4" x 3/4" brace on the front wall that provides additional stiffness to the narrow (weak) spot between the mid horn & woofer mounts on the front motorboard. (The 3/4" x 3/4" brace in the corner that runs top to bottom of speaker is a factory Klipsch piece on all 4 internal corners. The top/bottom corners have this too)

20210317_085522.jpg

• Like 1

Crossovers are now done & ready for re-install. All the caps were the Klipsch originals from 1989 & due for a changeout...

I ordered the "new" Klipsch approved JEM capaciter kit from Jim for 64.00. Then I had my local vintage stereo expert install em (been in business 35+ years)

Probably be about 2 weeks before I sound test em though, gotta finish up the 7" port extensions 1st

20210315_085812_resized_1.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/25/2021 at 8:14 AM, Outrider 6 said:

Where did you get the tubing and the flared ends?

I tried EVERYTHING, (too big, too little, etc.) & finally found these at a chain craft store called "Michaels". They're almost an exact fit.

1.) push them thru from the inside outward until about 3" sticks out the front. 2.) wind 2-3 layers of electrical tape around the end until it's a tight "press fit". 3.) pull it back thru by working it/wiggling it & install flush to the surface. 4.) Hot glue the inside seam, where the ports/wood meet. (makes em rock solid)

I also use my chop saw with a fine tooth blade to trim to length. In the pic the right one is trimmed & the cut piece beneath it.

20190426_134851.jpg

20190426_134914.jpg

https://www.michaels.com/white-shipping-tube-by-celebrate-it/M10323409.html?dwvar_M10323409_size=4&utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=2470763&utm_campaign=14079089&cm_mmc=Affiliate-_-CJ-_-2470763-_-14079089&affSource=2470763_14079089&cjevent=2c79bd6994ee11eb827d02db0a82b82c

Here's a Link. My pic is from my 1st pair I did, (the 6.2" size), but the 10" size can be cut down into two ports (or 1 speaker), so cheaper to buy two 4 x 10" ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ports are in, & the lower bracing below the woofer opening is almost finished. I still need to glue in the crosspiece that ties the front-to-rear braces together. The "crosspiece" braces are what takes the flex out of side panels, (1 upper & 1 lower).

20210401_220910_resized.jpg