Annoying Issue with Denon AVR-S720W

D-Rex

I recently purchased a Denon AVR-S720W but I am having an annoying issue arise.  As I am watching Netflix, the picture will go black like it is losing connection and then it will usually come back after a few seconds.  I am streaming through my DVD player so when I connect my DVD player directly to my TV I don't experience this problem.  This leads me to believe it is a problem with the receiver.  Now, I am going to try and hardwire the receiver to the router instead of using WIFI, do you think that will resolve the problem?  Any other ideas for what the issue might be and what could be a solution?

Hi, if you’re streaming through the DVD player, I would hardwire it. I would not think the issue is with the AVR, but the HDMI cable being used and compatibility with the DVD player and or the AVR to TV. Going with optical out is ok, but it has its limitations (no Atmos, for 1 example).

The AVR is really the only new addition.  All of this was working fine until my Onkyo went out.  Then I used my Integra for a few weeks until I bought the Denon.  I had no problems with the Integra either.  But, the Denon is the best of the group so I would like to keep it, but I can't have the picture blacking out when I am streaming Netflix.  Regular TV works great.  I am going to see if streaming Amazon is a problem as well.  I expect it should be.

2 hours ago, D-Rex said:

I guess I dont understand.  Everything is connected via HDMI, so audio and video all pass through the same connection.  

So, are you saying I should add a digital audio output connection from my receiver to my TV, if possible?

Yes.

D-Rex:  I agree with the majority of solutions our fellow forum members above have suggested. Another area of possible contingency that was not really mentioned is "Bandwidth".

It sounds to me as if your display is possibly not a "Smart TV", is this so? I believe it may not be because you did not mention using WiFi, nor a CAT6 cable directly top the TV.  I assume this is why you are streaming via your DVD player. If this is so, that is fine. However, if I am mistaken and your TV is a smart TV, by all means, please do connect a good CAT6e cable to your TV and possibly eliminate some of your latency issues with your video feed. Since the pandemic began, Internet provides have needed to go to "Throttling" their bandwidth, so there's enough to go around. This is because over half of our workforce is now working from home and kids are schooling virtually. For example, my son has a family of 4. He and his wife are both very connected with their portable devices as well as video streaming, etc. My son is also a gamer. They have two teenaged kids who both are connected at the hip to the Internet. Plus, their son is a gamer as well. Their bandwidth draw was akin to a well going dry. If they were to get a dog, they'd probably name it "Latency". Three weeks ago, my son had the provider install Gigabit service (1,000 mbps). HUGE difference!

In my situation, there are simply my bride and I, but we too are heavily connected to the web. We had 400 mbps service for quite a number of years, but lately we have been noticing the throttling and pixilation on our displays there used to never be an issue. Just this week, we upgraded to 600 mbps and there is a marked difference! Just a suggestion to consider.Best of luck! - Glenn

• Like 1

Thanks Glenn!  I probably wouldn't have thought of that but it could become an issue.  But, for now, I only have the issue when I connect through the new Denon.  When I connect through my other receiver, I don't have the issue.

You also make another good observation, my TV isn't one of the smarter TVs.   It has some Smarts but I do stream Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc., through my DVD to get to my TV.  But, as I indicated, this hasn't been a problem until this particular Denon.  Dallas