Cornwall I's - Yamaha A-S801 or Schiit Saga+ and Vidar?

Cornwill Is

Hi all! I am looking for recommendations!

I'm considering upgrading my vintage 1970's amplifier with something sweet, but not horribly expensive, that would pair well with my Klipsch Cornwall 1s. Say... something in the $1,000ish range.

I've had my eye on the Yamaha A-S801 integrated amp (built-in pre-amp and DAC), or separately, the Schiit Modi 3 DAC (I already own this), Saga+ pre-amp and Vidar amplifier.

Since there is no way to for me to listen to these amps with my speakers, some good advice would be appreciated.

I'm open to other amplifier brands and models as well! Looking forward to your feedback/advice!!

Never owned or heard the Yamaha A-S801 but have read really good things about it.  Though they are similar but in a different line of Yamaha integrated amps, the A-S1000(all analog) that I own pairs very well with all speakers(RB-75, RF-63, Heresy 1, Heresy 2) I have demoed with.  Very neutral "natural" presentation with gobs of grunt and very balanced top to bottom.  

If I were to bet, the 801 will mate very well with the Cornwall 1s.  On the other hand, since you already have a nice DAC, look for one of their analog integrated amps(A-S1000, A-S2000, A-S1100, etc).

Bill

I assume this is for 2 channel listening? A lot of places now will let you demo gear, if you don't like it you can send it back. Both of your choices are good, if space is a concern, an integrated is hard to beat, but all 3 of those Schiit separates wouldn't take up much space though. Many people with Heritage recommend older receivers, that might be what you have now. 

I recently heard this piece being highly recommended, it's an integrated amp, 60 watts class AB amplification, upgraded dac, bluetooth.....https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/hi-fi/cx-series-2/cxa61 and it's in your price range....1000.

• Like 1

Yamaha made world class 2 ch for a long time

And a few years ago got back in the game when the market picked up

Is the Yamaha using differential amplification ?

I have stacks of Yamaha gear, their top end lines, love everyone of them.

Schiit is among the best in bench tests, and has a large and growing following.

Their 20W Class A is very interesting

I would read the user reviews on both, but I think both are top quality.

• Like 1

I have that exact setup in my living room.  Got the Yamaha 801 from Crutchfield when they 1st came out, using them with Cornwall I's from 1977.  I think it's a great pairing, I've tried the 801 with my La Scalas and Khorns and to me it mates the best with the Cornwalls.  Been using it for a few years now and have no plans to change it, really like the variable loudness too.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2021 at 5:02 AM, Ceptorman said:

I assume this is for 2 channel listening?

Yes, two channel listening most definitely. I went through a A/V receiver phase that lasted a decade or more. I could just never get into it, though I know alot of people who invested big money in fancy home theater systems. I am quite happy with my KCW's. I recently did a JEM Performance Audio capacitor upgrade in them and they sound fantastic. I'm lusting for something sweet in the $1000-ish range... a forever amplifier (integrated or separates). With all the advances in electronics in the past 40 years, I know something special awaits me... I just don't exactly what yet!!

I've always like Yamaha's integrated amplifiers. I should probably go with them again, but I've always wanted to try separates. All the amplifier specifications are good... somewhat comparable, but I realize this tells us nothing about how they sound, especially paired with vintage Cornwall (1s).

I always believed that great amplifiers have big, heavy power supplies. Considering that, I was thinking choosing a dozen or so popular picks, and doing an analysis of their weights divided by their price... then going with the company that had the greatest weight to price ratio. 😉

• Like 1

I run the Yamaha A-S801 (bought used for $600) with my CF3's and it sounds great. I specifically chose with the 801 for the built in DAC (USB input from the computer) and optical input so I could connect my TV. 

I've been eyeing the A-S1100, 2200, etc... (used) though... I've seen them come down a bit in price recently. 

In the off chance you are in central Oregon you could borrow mine for a weekend to try it out. 🙂

image.thumb.png.d60f9f90078943f1227a672c7be5e5a5.png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Zack R said:

I run the Yamaha A-S801 (bought used for $600) with my CF3's and it sounds great. I specifically chose with the 801 for the built in DAC (USB input from the computer) and optical input so I could connect my TV. 

I've been eyeing the A-S1100, 2200, etc... (used) though... I've seen them come down a bit in price recently. 

In the off chance you are in central Oregon you could borrow mine for a weekend to try it out. 🙂

image.thumb.png.d60f9f90078943f1227a672c7be5e5a5.png

You are too kind! Thank you for the feedback!

• Like 1