Audio/Video Delay when watching DVD's?

imasndtek

Let me start by saying that I just recently got the Elite 45tx, and I really like the MCACC(seems very accurate, although I did readjust some of the EQ settings to my taste). When watching the LOTR the other night I noticed a very visible delay in the audio compared to the video. I immediately went into the settings for my receiver and removed as much delay as I could from the settings, and it did improve, but still not acceptable. Do I have to run my DVD(component video) through the receiver to alleviate this delay? Also, how is this going to affect my picture quality? I want to make sure that this is not some feature of the receiver that is affecting this. Any help would be appreciated....

Imasndtek,

Check your optical cable. I have had that problem before and it was the optical cable. The audio lags the picture. I thought it was my reciever(Old sony I used to have) also. I had it checked by service tech 2 times. They left it on continously for 3 days and monitored it and could not find any problems. I finally linked it to a cheap optical cable. After I replaced the cable with a decent one I never had the porblem agian. Hope this helps.

EJ1.gif

Hmmm, I don't think that it tis my optical cable, but thanks for the suggestion. I have a MC Lightspeed 200 optical cable, so it is not like I cheapened out on my optical cable. I also have never had this problem before, with my Denon AVR 3300. Maybe I'll go back and hook that up and see if it improves. Might help me narrow it down to the receiver or not.

Thanks

Yes I have calibrated the distances, and with the correct distances in, it seems to be worse. I reduced the distances as much as I could, still keeping all the times between speakers the same, and it got better but not good(still noticeable). As I indicated in my first post, will running the DVD player through my receiver and then to my tv fix this, and how will this affect my picture quality? Does the video get dalayed by the amount of time set in the speaker setup? How does that work? Currently I have the component outputs going directly to the tv.

Maybe I did not make my post clear enough in the beginning. The problem that I am having is that the audio is delayed from the video. I see the lips moving, and then sound starts to come out. I have reduced the audio delay on my reciever as much as I could, still allowing the front, center, and rears to be aligned, but it is still noticeable. So my question still remains, when you run all of your video signals(including component) through your receiver, and then to the TV, does the circuitry in the receiver delay the video signal the settings set in speaker distance menu? Please help!!

Imasndtek,

Be sure the sound delay feature on your receiver is set to zero. The 45TX and 49TXi have this feature. Use your owner's manual to find it under sound delay. On the 49 remote, sound delay is under "Effects Channel Select." It is a completely different function than the speaker distance setting in the setup menu.

Your receiver should not delay the sound unless the delay feature is engaged. Running component video through the receiver should have zero effect.

Do all sources have audio delay? Is it more pronounced on 5.1 sources? Does stereo direct make a difference??? Stereo direct turns off all sound processing in the receiver. (Plain stereo allows some processing to be done.)

I would take heed of the prior suggestion on your optical cable. They are easily dammaged, and yours may have been affected by the transfer to the new machine. If your DVD has a digital coax connection, try using it. A good video cable can be used as a substitute digital coax cable.

MCACC has to be experienced to be appreciated, but it takes a lot of processor power. The 49TXi uses 3 separate microprocessors to decode, process and do the acoustic correction. As a last thought, if LOTR is the only time things get out of sync, your sound processors may be falling behind due to being overloaded. I consider this unlikely as this would be the first time it has come up.

Bill

Alright, so after further analysis, it is actually the video that is delayed. I hear the sound first, and then their lips move. Now as far as I can tell, the Elite 45tx does not have a sync delay. If some other 45tx owner out there knows where in the menus to find one, please let me know. I have tried all different sound modes(stero, direct, DD, and DTS), and they all are the same. I have also tested this with multiple movies, and they all have the same problem. Last night I hooked everything back up to my old receiver, and the same thing occured. I couldn't believe it. I wanted to see if it was my DVD player, so I borrowed my neighbors sony, and the problem remained. I was really hoping that it would have been my DVD player, but now I don't know what to think. Somebody please help me.... I'm running out of ideas.

So does this mean that I need to get a receiver that does have a sync delay? I can still return this receiver and get a different one if I need to.

Have you tried hooking up your DVD player directly into one of your Toshiba TVs inputs in stereo with just the two rca cables and using the component connection for video ? Thus taking the receivers and the digital audio connections to the players out of the equation. Also use different DVDs if you try this. Are both the DVD players you are using older models?

Good call BBB, that is what I was just going to suggest until I realized that you had just said it. It must be the tv although that is very strange.

Is it possible to get some kind of a wicked nasty ground loop in the video that is causing the signal to bounce around before it gets to the tv?

EJ

Ok, so I hooked up the stereo outs of my DVD player to my TV, and the same delay is there. I've tried composite video, S-video, component video, and cable, and all of them are delayed. Does this mean that my TV is somehow delaying the video processing inside? Is this Possible? Does anyone out there know if this kind of thing can be adjusted by a technician? I would have never suspected my TV....

Imasndtek,

I suspect your TV has a video microprocessor to deinterlace the picture that it receives. It gives a similar result to progressive scan DVD players. With movies it also does 3:2 pulldown. On my Pioneer it is called "Pure Cinema"; on your machine it is called "Intelligent Digital Scan Conversion." I can turn Pure Cinema off in the menus.

Consult your TV manual. Look under features to see if it makes some claim to improving the picture, particularly for movies. When you find it, try to turn it off. It may eliminate the delay at the expense of watching an interlaced picture, but a progressive scan DVD would fix that.

As far as sound delay is concerned on the 45TX, you are right as near as I can tell. The 45 manual makes no mention of it that I can find by digital search. Sorry for the misinformation. I read it on another forum.

Bill

Hmmm. All I can think of is that you made sure your 3 component cables are hooked up to one of your color stream inputs HD1 or 2 correctly and the rca cables are connected to the same input. Select the color stream input you are hooked up to in your menu .Not video. Go to your player and make sure it is set for progressive out versus interlaced. Avoid anything that says auto. Make sure S-video is disconnected. You MAY have to go into the menu and unlock settings that you may have locked before or they may of reset to factory settings somewhere during your switching things around. Something may have changed while doing all the hooking and unhooking of your cables. I dont know. Its awfully tough to figure out when the equipment is not sitting right in front of me. Good Luck.