Sealing rear ports of rp-160m

StianT

Hello good sirs and sirettes!

I'm building my small HT in the basement, with built in rear, surround and atmos speakers which are already placed and installed.

My question is, I have a pair of rp-160m and a 440c as the front-stage, can\should I seal the ports of the 160m's?
I'm thinking of wall-mounting them with a clamper-mount (due to having two kids with busy fingers, so I'm afraid of getting stands.)

Or would they perform just as good without sealing the ports while being mounted to the wall?

Cheers!

• Moderators

Welcome

Sealing the ports will change the tune of the speaker, it's designed to move air from the woofer through the port. Damage it, I don't know?

What about a stand/shelf built on the wall, high enough where they can not reach it until they get old enough to know better. ?

Just another idea

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dtel said:

Welcome

Sealing the ports will change the tune of the speaker, it's designed to move air from the woofer through the port. Damage it, I don't know?

What about a stand/shelf built on the wall, high enough where they can not reach it until they get old enough to know better. ?

Just another idea

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I could go for a shelf, but how much distance behind the speaker should I have?

Looks like I can get about 10cm of air between the wall and the rear port if I use the wall-mounts I have, is that horrible?

I have these btw; https://www.btechavmounts.com/product-range/products/bt77

4 hours ago, StianT said:

Looks like I can get about 10cm of air between the wall and the rear port if I use the wall-mounts I have, is that horrible?

That is plenty of room for the ports to breathe with those speakers.  Now if we were talking the RP-8000F floorstanders, then yes 10cm might be a bit too close to the wall.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

The first Klipsch I bought was bookshelf speakers and I mounted them on shelves for the same reason, not worrying about little kids doing something to the speakers or knocking one over on themselves.

Then over time the kids grew up and the speakers got bigger to the point now the grandkids can't move one. 

• Like 2