A little Hum

jcmusic

Ok guys I need some help on this one, my system is tri amped so each set of drivers has their own amp. The other day I noticed a little hum coming from the left woofer only, I thought it might be the amp so I switch the speaker wire from the A side to the B side bingo no more hum. However that was short lived ten minutes later the woofers on both sides went off, so I swapped out that amp for another and back in business no more hum.

Now two days later while warming up I hear that hum again in the left woofer only, after about 20 minutes it is gone. So is that woofer going south? It is the original 15" woofer in my khorns from 1977.

Jay

Jay,

Most likely it's the connections to either the amplifier, crossover, or preamp, in that order, then inside the electronics boxes themselves.  Check all connections--wiggle them when it happens.  Thermal cycles (off-on-off, etc.) loosen the connections, as well as corrosion of RCA and XLR connectors, etc. in high humidity environments (like that found in most of Louisiana and adjoining states, for instance).

Make sure the routing of external wires are away from any power cords or other new equipment, including TVs, etc.

Chris

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chris A said:

Jay,

Most likely it's the connections to either the amplifier, crossover, or preamp, in that order, then inside the electronics boxes themselves.  Check all connections--wiggle them when it happens.  Thermal cycles (off-on-off, etc.) loosen the connections, as well as corrosion of RCA and XLR connectors, etc. in high humidity environments (like that found in most of Louisiana and adjoining states, for instance).

Make sure the routing of external wires are away from any power cords or other new equipment, including TVs, etc.

Chris

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the reply I am gonna check all the connections as you said, hopefully it is nothing..

Jay