New Speakers - Klipsch Forte III or IV ok for room size shape?

Maverick_pw

Hello all,

My wife and are going to be finishing our basement this upcoming summer.  This basement will be a den that will have a projector that will be used to watch movies, sports, etc....

That being said, I will take the speakers that I have at the moment, Monitor Audio Bronze 5, and send them downstairs to be used as part of a surround sound system.  IF they had been adequate, I would have like to keep the upstairs because the fit in the décor really well.  However, sonically, these speakers just cant give me what I'm looking for.  I find that that are very detailed and like the sound signature, but they just can't fill the room and keep their composure.  Put the volume up a little higher to to moderate levels to feel the bass and everything becomes muddied.

So why not get new speakers for the living room.  It measures 18.5'L x 16'W x 20'H (cathedral ceiling).  The living room is open to the kitchen and the speakers will be placed to the side of the fireplace.  I attached a picture so you guys could really see what I am working with.

Things that brought me to the Klipsch Forte....

1. Great Sound (according to reviews, I have not been able to listen to them)
  2. Beauty
  3. Made in NA (I'm from Canada and as much as possible try to buy things made in Canada and USA, I hate Chinese throw away CRAP)
  4. Size factor is within wife's tolerance
  5. Low sensitivity and easy to match with 

I would like for the purchase of my next pair of speakers to be ''end game'' speakers that I do not have to replace until I have too much money I don't know what to do with (which will never happen anyway hahaha).  

So am asking people that have experience with either the forte 3 or 4 how do they believe the bass response will be in my living room area.  I have heard / read some comments that distance from the walls is important for the Forte's and in my case, there will be no wall behind them.  Will the bass be anemic in the setup?

I am not a basshead, but I would like to ''feel'' just a little bit of bass drum when I listen to rock.

ROCK ON!1275516405_livingroom.thumb.jpg.0b9cb6ae5b5e3778b2e35e7db5b9d713.jpg

• Like 2

You are fighting a losing battle with a room like that, I don't envy you one bit. The best you can hope for is about 50-60 % of what any speaker is capable of. So I guess it's best to start with a good speaker to wring all you can out of the system. I think the Forte would be as good as anything else for that space. And with the reviews so far, I would go for the IV.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but you would be better served to move the system to another wall in the room that can give you some reinforcement. The TV over the fireplace trick surely looks good, but isn't going to do you any favors with placing speakers thusly.

Good luck! You will need it.

Shakey

17 minutes ago, Maverick_pw said:

Thanks Billybob!

You are correct, I do not want to add a subwoofer at all, just a pure 2 speaker system!

Have a good one and...

ROCK ON!

You will be getting more on the forte' models here. Not familiar with your existing speakers being either sealed, front or rear ported.

The group may suggest the absence of a rear wall, which will come into play.

Creative members you will find.

A little patience and we should get there.

Edited by billybob

Thanks all for the responses!

I have considered to Cornwalls, but the size of them will not pass with the missus.

And also I realize that the room is definitely not ideal, I am simply hoping the forte can compensate enough to get me close to audio heaven.  I thought about getting them for downstairs, but that is where I send my three boys ages 2, 6, and 8 to go play and watch tv....so I would have nobody to guard my precious sound system.

• Like 1

Speaking of the Forte' line then, all 4 models have a rear passive radiator in common, simply meaning that yes, without something behind them, yes the sound is subject to being abit anemic in the bass department.

Looking closer at your speakers profile in pic, going to presume they are rear ported also, and your bass is suffering for it.

Klipsch do have front ported speakers so, will say, not as placement sensitive in this case.

Also, taking it that room pictured will pull dual music and movies duties.

Just things to consider since you are intent on staying 2 channel pure.

• Like 1

it would work but you're obviously not going to get the same lower bass from that radiator as you would with it being 8" from a wall.  Most of your "feel it in the solar plexus" rock bass is higher than most people imagine though, I've heard it's centered at 63 hz which is what concert engineers boost.  Not entirely sure the radiator is doing a heck of a lot in that region, pretty sure it's tuned to almost an octave lower.  

• Like 1

I would use the fortes strictly for 2 channel listening, will not use for tv or movies (that will be done in the basement).....all this leads me to conclude that I really need to try to get a seller that will let me try them at home,  but that just is not possible, I am from Quebec and the nearest Heritage dealer is 100 US miles from here and they do not permit trying them out.

Does anyone have a comparable Klipsch speaker to recommend?

• Like 1

May I suggest a pair of Sonos speakers (for background music). I use a pair in the dining room and they produce some nice sound. For serious stereo listening, I suggest some high-quality, well reviewed headphones. Headphones today are excellent and they will give you bass feel that you are looking for without disturbing the rest of the family. Two ideas to consider and a good way to save lots of coin.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Frank1938 said:

May I suggest a pair of Sonos speakers (for background music). I use a pair in the dining room and they produce some nice sound. For serious stereo listening, I suggest some high-quality, well reviewed headphones. Headphones today are excellent and they will give you bass feel that you are looking for without disturbing the rest of the family. Two ideas to consider and a good way to save lots of coin.

I agree completely. If I were faced with that room as the only option I’d certainly go down the high end headphone road. 3-4K will buy a very nice set of cans and killer amplifier.

Shakey

5 hours ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

it would work but you're obviously not going to get the same lower bass from that radiator as you would with it being 8" from a wall.  Most of your "feel it in the solar plexus" rock bass is higher than most people imagine though, I've heard it's centered at 63 hz which is what concert engineers boost.  Not entirely sure the radiator is doing a heck of a lot in that region, pretty sure it's tuned to almost an octave lower.  

@Chief bonehead , are you reading this?  What frequency range is the passive radiator tuned to?   Would it work in a room like his?  What about just turning up the bass control a bit (if there is one).  Thanks!

As to a kick drum:

image.png.50cb5bc02a1c3f4761ff08e17f4d534e.png

6 hours ago, Maverick_pw said:

I would use the fortes strictly for 2 channel listening, will not use for tv or movies (that will be done in the basement).....all this leads me to conclude that I really need to try to get a seller that will let me try them at home,  but that just is not possible, I am from Quebec and the nearest Heritage dealer is 100 US miles from here and they do not permit trying them out.

Heresy's are fairly directional and front firing, 12in woofer, no rear radiator

May be ideal for your space, I prefer them on end tables which may work in your space

and keep them from being hit on the floor, mopped, cat spray etc.

Heresys are great speakers, no qualifications.

If you need pounding bass later, you could stuff a sub under a table

Ikea has black end tables rated for 50lbs that go on sale for $9ea

Or start checking craigslist etc and resale shops for a good pair of end tables.

On 2/22/2021 at 11:16 AM, Paducah Home Theater said:

I have the Forte III’s and I’ll give my testimony to the bass produced by the rear passive radiator. I have mine 8” from the rear wall and listening to music that I’ve had for years when listened to on the Forte III’s I thought my KLIPSCH R-120 SW Subwoofer was on!! Holy cow!  My AVR has Direct and Pure direct mode and while in this mode the sub will not be allowed to come on and still swore it was on , that’s how phenomenal the low frequency is with the combination of the 12” Active woofer and that woofer moves enough air to make the passive move and bounce off the rear wall and BAM , smooth deep rich clean bass. Yes , the rear passive is important and makes the Forte ROCK!! 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 3:36 PM, Maverick_pw said:

See getting some ideas now.

If you could use the front of fireplace for a rear firing but as we discussed, there are front firing speakers.

Guess you could use Heresy 1,2, or 3 models as sealed cabinets.

These best on floor to help limited bass with no sub for pure 2 channel.

Thought someone would bring up a decent new floorstanding Klipsch front ported.

There are plenty of Klipsch front ported.

Yours almost make it for you and still thinking they are rear ported.

Alright, figure front of fireplace out. A little bit tight anyway.

Lol...

Here’s a thought. Move the television downstairs too. Let the kids have that room and watch movies down there when you want to. Then you can move the speakers upstairs to a more suitable place in that horrible room for when you want to seriously listen to music. It’s still a compromise but it might be the best one.

Shakey

• Like 1