On another subject; puppy training

USNRET

• Moderators

Nice looking puppy. looks small in the first pic's, until I noticed 92 pounds.

Only had one dog that was trained to commands, it's amazing how training changes everything about having a dog for the better. They still play and be a normal dog but just better overall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, USNRET said:

these dogs are extremely bright , and they  mold to their Master as a friend--very easy to train when young ,   very natural bonding  , the more you trust the dog , the more the dog gives back -

Crate train crate train as a pup !!!  Later they can have free range of the house.  Best thing we ever did with our, now senior, pup.  Having a smart dog makes training easy and time investments worthwhile.  Ours knows right and left - makes walking easy.    

• Like 1

She seems to be behaving well on the videos and from trainer reports but the correction for counter surfing and aggression toward strange humans and animals had darn well be worth a WHOLE lot of $$$1/2 large.
At about 8 months old Riley was attacked and neck bitten by neighbor's dogs that were not leashed while we were on a walk. She has been anti-social since. I hope the trips to tennis courts, Lowes, PetSmart and several malls has greatly reduced her anxiety. And yes, I informed that neighbor that I carried and if that happened again he would have 2 dead dogs. While witnessing the act he denied it took place and the wife, also a witness, was all about apologies. He and I didn't quite come to terms but on every other walk he saw the holster. Yes, for you 'others' I meant it,    

• Like 3

Two daughters two new dogs;

#1 is nearly 11 months now... 87 lbs Bernese Mountain dog... Jasper is his own man(ish). Gets in a lot of trouble with very strict youngest daughter.

#2 only 2 month old Border Collie .... so cute, and attentive. She should be a good running dog for tri-athlete eldest daughter. 

• Like 1

On a similar topic, we recently adopted a three year old.  Bu coincidence, she looks almost exactly like the dog in my avatar and has the same personality. 

The previous owner fed her something like pedigree or some other really cheap dog food.  I switched her to Blue Buffalo grain free, then after reading that some of the ingredients in grain free can cause heart problems, switched her to chicken and brown rice. 

https://bluebuffalo.com/dry-dog-food/life-protection-formula/chicken-brown-rice-recipe/

Her coat looks great and she does not itch anymore, but she licks the floor or cement when she gets excited.  This can be a deficiency.  Any recommendations as to what to feed her?  My wife or I exercise her every day so she is really fit and trim. 

My buddy recently passed away. :( I am going to Texas on the 13th to pick up a new friend. He's 4 years old and unwanted 'cause his ears don't stand up. Well I couldn't care less if his ears are floppy. He will be a challenge but it's accepted. Too quiet around here without a dog.

A photo.

shaggy1.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, geezin' said:

My buddy recently passed away. :( I am going to Texas on the 13th to pick up a new friend. He's 4 years old and unwanted 'cause his ears don't stand up. Well I couldn't care less if his ears are floppy. He will be a challenge but it's accepted. Too quiet around here without a dog.

A photo.

shaggy1.JPG

Looks like fine new friend. God Bless you for adopting him.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, babadono said:

Looks like fine new friend. God Bless you for adopting him.

Not really an adoption. He's at a breeder but as mentioned they've had him for 4 years. He was a house dog but after a couple years they had to move him out to the kennel. Don't misunderstand that,the kennel is heated and air conditioned. They just raise the puppies in the home for the first part of their life and couldn't spare the room anymore. I like the breeder 'cause their website says "AKC registered Quality pedigreed healthy puppies at a fair price,for family pets & Protectors, only." When contacted about him they asked me about my experience with adult Shepherds and my intentions for him. Gave me the feeling they care about the dogs. It's a 3K mile round trip for me but I need the time off from work.

• Like 1

A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140,2000%7C81XNFQxjz

Sammies are extremely intelligent, generally have good manners and a sense of personal space, and are typically very easy going.  However, they don't care a lot about what you want and march to their own drummer instead.  They are so cute that they can get away with most anything.

5ef3d63f7e92026710c2683d6fad8797.jpg

However, Border Collies take charge when there's any lapse in leadership--and keep you on a tight schedule.  We never had to take a BC to training although we tried with our first one. He just sat there watching the other puppies make fools of themselves, did all the "exercises" right on first try, and finally retired to underneath our chairs to stay away from the other "fools with no manners".  Took the class prize.  It was a waste of money.  The dog already knew everything. 

They end up training their humans quite intuitively...and free of charge. 😉

Chris

• Like 1