On another subject; puppy training

USNRET

Nice Shepard, I like those!

Before I was online I sent $19.95 to David Dykman for some flashcards on a ring and a twenty foot canvas leash and did that for four or five months with my Rott`n' Pit and he was set for the rest of his life. The leash training method takes some time. But with the right dog temperament and if you had him as a pup eating on one side of the kitchen and doing his business on the side away from that and where he slept.. it's all good!

21 hours ago, JJkizak said:

One of the issues with owning dogs is they attain the status of your children. Did you ever take your dog to a vet to be euthanized? And seeing the look on the dog's face as he is being led away from you?

JJK

When that time comes, you should always be there with your dog, they're scared and want you there.

• Like 2

My lab ran off to die. Guess he was trying to save us the grief.

Adopted another lab recently, who’d been abused (over fed) by his owners. 64 lbs overweight.

Vet he sez there’s a nice dawg in there, waiting to get out, sezee. 😉 🤣

Needless to say, he’s on a special diet. First check up, weigh in, next week. He’s already able to move easier.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

My niece is a vet, they do it quite a bit. Some do, some don't I guess. Isn't it amazing how attached we can get to a pet 😄

I never met a good vet in my whole life  , when dogs get really  sick , there is not much  they can do , Vet  medecine is in need of a serious revamp to catch up with the advances of medecine in general -

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I never met a good vet in my whole life  , when dogs get really  sick , there is not much  they can do , Vet  medecine is in need of a serious revamp to catch up with the advances of medecine in general -

Keep looking, there are good one's out there, just like in our medical field, some good, some bad.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 12:20 PM, JJkizak said:

One of the issues with owning dogs is they attain the status of your children. Did you ever take your dog to a vet to be euthanized? And seeing the look on the dog's face as he is being led away from you?

JJK

I would never let any of my dogs be led away to die. They deserve to be with the ones they love at the end. Not alone and scared with a stranger. I just did it two weeks ago and it's incredibly hard but they deserve the company. And I'm still an emotional basket case. I miss my buddy immensely. So lonely and quiet around here.

• Like 2

Had to put down our pitbull last year, even though they are trainable, they are stubborn. Just picked up an Australian Shepherd yesterday. 10 weeks old, very smart dog. One day in and he's learning his name Tito, recalling and sitting very well.f229e299dc53ecad4d5bc92a470b17a8.jpg5be2e0f466f40cd0cc6c61d4091b47aa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Last tuesday at 11:45 am , pts my 20 year old cockapoo , I cried in the tech vet room , held her in my hands as  she slipped away from me .

God made one perfect animal , the dog , nothing else comes close , except my wife , she comes pretty close .

Martina gave me 20 amazing dedicated years .

We got a new pup one year  ago , she is a cavapoochon named Marcela 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Been a dog person forever.  Worked for a Vet for a couple of years and with rescue groups recently.  My buddy Jake (see avatar) died 3/2/21 of cancer.  I really fell in love with the Norwich Terrier breed (smallest of the sporting class). 

So a little over a month ago I got another one after a 1000 mile round trip.  Swanky (5 years old) is the first dog I have had that is not motivated by food or treats so training is tough!   Like me he can be a couch potato😊 

IMG_1285(2).jpg

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Swanky (5 years old) is the first dog I have had that is not motivated by food or treats so training is tough!   Like me he can be a couch potato😊 

your Swanky is missing the dogs or the people he was used to for 5 years --35 years have been wiped out ,  so he's coping with that loss - plus , they operated him , not too long ago , that really changes a dog's character  and the hormonal change is sudden--- I would have him  socialize with other dogs , first as much as possible , and the most often possible before any training , then ,  the dog will train naturally , give and you will receive , the give here , is not candy or treats , but the other dogs -   -