Marantz SR5012 vs Yamaha AVR AVENTAGE RX-A1070

D-Rex

The Yammy has a better amp - look at the numbers:

Marantz: Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive):100W

Yammy: Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) :110 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)

The Yammy gives you 10% more watts at lower THD. Looking the weight of the two - Marantz 22.1lbs, Yammy 32.8lbs. A lot of an AVR weight is due to the amplification components.

Most people may not notice or need the difference in power and may not notice the difference - YMMV.

I have an RX-A3060 - so there may be a bit of bias in my response 🙂

• Like 5

I can't comment on the Yamaha, but I bought and have a Marantz SR-5012 that I purchased new in 2017 when it first came out and I really like it!!! However, I also wanted to try the similarly configured, but updated Denon AVR-X3500H so I bought one new in 2019. They both sound pretty much the same, with some subtle differences, in my 5.1.2 system so I'm still using the Denon while the Marantz rests on the sidelines for now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buck115 said:

I can't comment on the Yamaha, but I bought and have a Marantz SR-5012 that I purchased new in 2017 when it first came out and I really like it!!! However, I also wanted to try the similarly configured, but updated Denon AVR-X3500H so I bought one new in 2019. They both sound pretty much the same, with some subtle differences, in my 5.1.2 system so I'm still using the Denon while the Marantz rests on the sidelines for now.

Doesn't Denon and Marantz share a lot of electronics?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Yes, they do, especially since Marantz is owned by Denon they seem to keep the product lines and models within very similar with subtle differences.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I have noticed that they both use Audyssey - looking at the backplane of the SR-5012 and the X3500H - they are incredibly similar. They must share a lot.

And their weights are similar -there I said it 🙂

• Like 1

I had I think a Yamaha A-1050. It stopped working right out of warranty.  After that happened, I bought a refurbished Marantz SR-6012 that looked like new when I received it.  I’ve heard some refurbished are just returns for whatever reason that can’t be sold as new. Very happy with the Marantz. Their room correction Audyssey program works a lot better than the Yamaha version(can’t remember what it’s called)

I know I’m not talking about the exact same models you are, but they are close.  Definitely prefer the Marantz “sound” 

I don’t have any high end shops near me to sample.  I hate buying this stuff hoping for the best...

• Like 1

"By the pound" is an interesting comparison indeed, one I wouldn't discount without consideration.  But, I did recently purchase a pretty lightweight Denon (22lbs) and I think it does a better job than my heavier (32lb) Onkyo at immersing the room in surround sound.  But, I have heard good things about the Yamahas so I was curious what others thought.  I have heard the Marantz sound and liked it which is why it was already at the top of my list.

• Like 1

My first "real" AVR was a Yamaha RX-Z1 purchased back in the early 2000s. It weighed 62 lbs or so, a behemoth. Specs were 130Wx6 RMS (8ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.015% THD). Not sure the spec measurement was the same back then.

I "upgraded" to a Denon AVR-4311Ci in 2012 - specs: 140 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD, with 2 channels driven. 38 lbs. I upgraded for the HDMI input/outputs. I never thought the sound sounded as loud and clear as the RX-Z1. This is my opinion only.

In 2016 I "upgraded" again to a Yamaha RX-A3060 - specs: 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.06% THD, with 2 channels driven. 40 lbs. I felt I needed to go back to Yamaha, and wanted 4K and the new "stuff". I feel this is better than the Denon, but not as loud and clear as the RX-Z1.

I have kept my RX-Z1, thinking one day I could use it as an amplifier. I still have the Denon 4311Ci too. Not sure I will use either of them again and is likely time to sell them.

That is why I am "obsessed" with weight and receivers - the best sound I think i have heard was from the 62 lbs RX-Z1. And, it has made me a Yammy fan.

Good luck. I have never tried an Onkyo....maybe next 🙂

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I stumbled into a great deal on a Marantz SR5013 for $425.  It looks brand new and wasn't even supposed to come in its original box but it did.  I had to buy a remote, which I happened to find an OEM remote for $33 so I think I got an amazing deal!  It sounds great, and even makes the picture immaculate!  I am sure given some time I could nitpick on it a little but, for now, I am pickled tink!  😁

• Like 2

On 3/18/2021 at 12:33 AM, D-Rex said:

Well, I stumbled into a great deal on a Marantz SR5013 for $425.  It looks brand new and wasn't even supposed to come in its original box but it did.  I had to buy a remote, which I happened to find an OEM remote for $33 so I think I got an amazing deal!  It sounds great, and even makes the picture immaculate!  I am sure given some time I could nitpick on it a little but, for now, I am pickled tink!  😁

Bargain hunter:  well done!  Keeping an eye out for bargains is how many Forum members, including me, managed to acquire the great systems that we have today.  Keep saving in a dedicated account (at the bank or under your mattress) for your next system upgrade, and you’ll be ready to act quickly when you spot a good deal on something you really want.

Happy listening!

• Like 3

Well, I stumbled into a great deal on a Marantz SR5013 for $425.  It looks brand new and wasn't even supposed to come in its original box but it did.  I had to buy a remote, which I happened to find an OEM remote for $33 so I think I got an amazing deal!  It sounds great, and even makes the picture immaculate!  I am sure given some time I could nitpick on it a little but, for now, I am pickled tink!  [emoji16]
I'm going to say you suck because I passed up on several due to low funds. Now that I have funds I cannot find one. But have spotted one that is new in box, but doesn't power on. If he comes down on price, I might take a chance to repair it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bargain hunter:  well done!  Keeping an eye out for bargains is how many Forum members, including me, managed to acquire the great systems that we have today.  Keep saving in a dedicated account (at the bank or under your mattress) for your next system upgrade, and you’ll be ready to act quickly when you spot a good deal on something you really want.

Happy listening!

My hiding spot is anywhere my wife doesn't know about.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm going to say you suck because I passed up on several due to low funds. Now that I have funds I cannot find one. But have spotted one that is new in box, but doesn't power on. If he comes down on price, I might take a chance to repair it

that repair could be a breeze  , I would buy it in a heartbeat

• Like 1