SPL-150 subwoofer specs

nut4carz

I bought Two SPL-150 Subwoofers based on previous experience with Klipsch quality. Was expecting the same quality of the old days. Klipsch claim of 18Hz on this subwoofer is false advertising these do not even produce sound at 25 Hz! They quit at about 30Hz. Now I have spent $2500 on these and I would like to know what to do with them. I want them out of my house. I will never again buy any Klipsch product!! I have La Scalas and Forte and Forte II from years ago and those perform as should. These new Klipsch products simply do not reproduce sound according to your published specs. A simple sound test proves I am right.  I am afraid I will have to lose half my money on these subwoofers as well. Paul W Klipsch personally had a saying.... "Bullshit". That is what these subwoofers are. If Paul were still alive he would be embarrassed that you are making false claims as to the performance of these units! I spent over $2500 on two of these subwoofers and my friend brought over ONE Miller and Kreisel subwoofer that is 25 years old and THAT performs down to 10 Hz. Do your own sound testing on these you will see they quit making sound at 30Hz and do NOT produce "deep bass" as your nomenclature claims. But, Klipsch designers already know this. If I hadn't wasted my money on these Klipsch subs, I could litter with them or give them away.

• Sad 1

On 2/23/2021 at 10:44 AM, nut4carz said:

Do your own sound testing on these you will see they quit making sound at 30Hz and do NOT produce "deep bass" as your nomenclature claims. 

Sorry but this just isn't correct.  I've done plenty of tests and have even measured them outside.  If multiple units are not doing anything below 30 hz then you've got something going on in your room

Actually I've even done the Barbie Doll test.  Played an 18 hz sine wave and it was moving so much air that I got my daughter's Barbie Dolls and lined them up for a hair trick video.  Was epic.  

image.png.8dd205ca9b0a7fb119335cfc2128b8bf.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

You can't hear 18 Hz.  Convince me I'm wrong.

You may not be able to hear 18 hz.  I definitely can.  15 hz is more debatable.  16 not an issue.  15, I can make it out but it's very faint.  14, all bass is gone, it's just air moving or stuff in the room shaking if I hear anything.  18 hz is completely audible.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

You may not be able to hear 18 hz.  I definitely can.  15 hz is more debatable.  16 not an issue.  15, I can make it out but it's very faint.  14, all bass is gone, it's just air moving or stuff in the room shaking if I hear anything.  18 hz is completely audible.  

I can hear what it does to the room but that's about it.  People that can hear (not feel) infrasonics have to be few and far between.  I've never met one but not going to argue over what you can and can't hear.  I can tell when infrasonics play but only by pressure and whats going on in the room. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 6:16 AM, CECAA850 said:

I can hear what it does to the room but that's about it.  People that can hear (not feel) infrasonics have to be few and far between.  I've never met one but not going to argue over what you can and can't hear.  I can tell when infrasonics play but only by pressure and whats going on in the room. 

I wouldn't speculate on such a thing but REW has a way that you can generate frequencies even down to the 10th of a Hz, and I had four sealed 18's I was able to figure out exactly how low I can hear.  Takes a lot of guess work and speculation out when you can step through it and not have to worry about whether the equipment can actually produce the frequencies in question.  Like I said though, 15 hz is very faint.  Personally I wouldn't call 18 hz an infrasonic frequency.  

image.png.be98d165c33ec23ee7ac3b8b91f81936.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

I wouldn't speculate on such a thing but REW has a way that you can generate frequencies even down to the 10th of a Hz, and I had four sealed 18's I was able to figure out exactly how low I can hear.  Takes a lot of guess work and speculation out when you can step through it and not have to worry about whether the equipment can actually produce the frequencies in question.  Like I said though, 15 hz is very faint.  Personally I wouldn't call 18 hz an infrasonic frequency.  

image.png.be98d165c33ec23ee7ac3b8b91f81936.png

I have a test cd with sine waves at one Hz intervals.  Old school.  My IB will do 110db at 10 hz measured at the main listening position which is about 12 ft away from the drivers. Its not good for the house though.

I was under the impression that anything below 20 hz was classified as infrasonic.

• Like 1