Mobile Jubes

LTusler

I've been wanting to move the Jubes around easily so I can play with the imaging in my room.  They are on a concrete floor, they will slide on the silver buttons they came equipped with but its quite a bit of effort.  I am a pack rat so I saved much of the packing material that came from Metropolis.  They go the extra mile to assure they do not get damaged in shipping.

So after much libation and thinking, here is my solution:

First I created a template of the shape of the base cabinet in cardboard, then cut it out reduced by 1/4" on all sides, this will leave a small reveal at the bottom of the cabinet.

Screwed two of the 3/4" plywood pieces of suitable size from the shipping container together.

Traced the template onto the plywood and cut it out with s Skillsaw.

Separated the pieces and sanded the edges and rounded the corners so they aren't sharp.

Painted the top and bottom edges with flat black .

Installed 8 each 1" ball bearing casters from Northern Tool item number 60147.  They support 70lbs each, so 8 of them are good for 560Lbs.  The Jubes weigh 260 or so.

Carefully painted the caster bases to hide them better.

Set the base cabinets onto the wheel platforms, they move nice now.

It did raise the speakers 2", but I'm ok with that.

Full Wheel.jpg

Base Close Up.jpg

Pattern.jpg

Painted.jpg

Wheels.jpg

• Like 4

I did something comparable.

In my case I glued some carpet underlayment (felt not foam rubber) to the base. I did not want to use staples since they might scratch the floor. It slides nicely on hardwood  and tile floors. I agree also that playing with the position and toe-in is very worthwhile. 

33 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

@Bill W. can you help him out with what you did at your restaurant to be able to bring then in and outside easily? 

The Jubilees are moved safely and easily with a simple two wheel hand cart. I just slip it underneath and rock it backward, then it can be moved as a single unit, top and bottom. I know I am not typical, I have worked in the supermarket industry for most of my career, unloading semi-trucks and handling heavy freight. For me, these are easy.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Bill W. said:

The Jubilees are moved safely and easily with a simple two wheel hand cart. I just slip it underneath and rock it backward, then it can be moved as a single unit, top and bottom. I know I am not typical, I have worked in the supermarket industry for most of my career, unloading semi-trucks and handling heavy freight. For me, these are easy.

For some reason I had in my mind you made platforms with wheels.

5 hours ago, Bill W. said:

I too used a two-wheeled hand cart to move the four Speakerlab SKhorns about in my mobile DJ business.  The plywood construction, including plywood enclosed backs and metal hardware cloth over the fronts and rears of the top hats, put each speaker at just under 200 Lbs.  easily moved with a hand truck, but not easily moved by pranksters or would-be thieves.  Of course, there was no concern for the safety of the black painted plywood, as there would be for fine hardwood veneers.

For domesticated fine furniture I like the OP’s Jubes, I prefer the elegant solution designed and built by @LTusler.

These work under just about anything without having to fabricate anything, and are inexpensive and easily replaceable:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8CSHRB/

You can also find even less expensive brands.  They don't like dirt and grit on the floor (none of these devices really do), but that's easy enough to clean up with a vacuum before moving.  Once the large object is in place, these sliders can be removed and returned to a good storage location.

Chris

3 hours ago, Godataloss said:

I had those ball bearing casters on a pair of Yamaha towers.  They will scratch the floor and seize up in a few years.  Then they will really scratch the floor.  Took them off and switched to heavy felt pads.

Yeah, they are cheap and sound like they use small rocks for the bearings, but they are good enough for now and will be most likely be replaced.  Good enough for proof of concept.

• Like 1

I dunno..... my Jubes are fairly easy to move about a couple feet this way or that. This is just with the provided metal feet on travertine tile. When i get to an uneven grout joint it takes a little persuasion thats all. BTW those furniture "super sliders" maybe good for carpet only. I bought some at harbor freight and put them under my LaScalas.....fuhghettaboudit..they became virtually immoveable objects.