RC-52 vs RC-500

MC39693

@billybob, thanks, that is what I thought... the two local seem very similar in condition. I think I could get the 52 for at least $50 less than the 500.

I recently sold a Martin Logan Theater I which was amazing but just too big. I don’t want something as big, and don’t want to spend $$$$,

so I have been looking at smaller Klipsch center speakers which will match up to my Heresy in 5.2 HT. 

I have also experimented with using two bookshelf speakers by splitting the pre-out single to power amp, then running duplicate to the two speakers. I might just stick with that since I already have the bookshelf speakers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

I recently sold a Martin Logan Theater I which was amazing but just too big. I don’t want something as big, and don’t want to spend $$$$,

so I have been looking at smaller Klipsch center speakers which will match up to my Heresy in 5.2 HT. 

How about a third Heresy? I would think that would be considerably better than the 2 centers you are looking at especially if you had Martin Logans before.

4 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

I have also experimented with using two bookshelf speakers by splitting the pre-out single to power amp, then running duplicate to the two speakers. I might just stick with that since I already have the bookshelf speakers.

I would not  use two bookshelf speakers as a single center channel, if that's what you are describing....If anything try one of those first.

@Zen Traveler, thanks for the note... I have drivers and crossover for a Heresy clone build, I could make a pair and use one as center but for my room and layout, I’m not sure it will work. But once we make those speakers, it won’t hurt to try!

The two bookshelf setup worked pretty well, actually liked it better than one, because you can spread them out to give better coverage to the horizontal seating space. I put the speakers on their sides on some foam padding and played with location to give a better dispersion... only to ear not via test equipment.  I have two sets of reasonably good bookshelf speakers but did have to manage attenuation and LF cutoff to subs. 

• Like 1

@billybob and @Zen Traveler... thanks for the comments, you have convinced me not to go for either. I’ll try my bookshelf speakers first as they don’t cost me any incremental $$$. Then build the Heresy clones and try one. And in the mean time, keep an eye out for something closer to the ML Theater I... maybe a smaller ML, I miss that ESL midrange 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MC39693 said:

The two bookshelf setup worked pretty well, actually liked it better than one, because you can spread them out to give better coverage to the horizontal seating space.

If it works for you then go with it. :) The counter to that argument is the way you have them set up spaced apart playing the same material is Comb Filtering that messes with the sound. Fwiw, I too have my RB-75s in the rear laid on their sides with the horns pointing to the MLP...If you want to try 2 bookshelf speakers as a center (still don't think that's the way to go but YMMV) laying on their side I've red that putting them together on their side with the horn tweeters in the middle touching each other counters some of the Comb Filtering mentioned above. Anyway, good luck!