Speaker Break In?

Fido

9 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

But I do realize that if people THINK it's better, than it is better. PERCEPTION always trumps reality no matter where it comes from.

Thus the efficacy of double blind tests. 

Also, the variable of "brain state" [concentrating on the sound to make a judgment v.s. letting the music wash over you when you are relaxed while listening the music for its own sake for a period of time (minutes to hours to weeks)] can be built in as an additional independent variable in a 2 way ANOVA or other design.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, babadono said:

And your auditory cortex:)

Now that's funny and true.

When I am working on repairing sets of speakers I normally let them run for days. Often I think those sound OK and after a few days think they sound pretty good. So I think I could live without my S-MWM's if I had to with these. Then they find new happy homes and I fire the S-MWM's back up.  DARN I forgot how good those things sound and after a week they are still really good but nothing special as I have accustomed myself to them again.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

Now that's funny and true.

When I am working on repairing sets of speakers I normally let them run for days. Often I think those sound OK and after a few days think they sound pretty good. So I think I could live without my S-MWM's if I had to with these. Then they find new happy homes and I fire the S-MWM's back up.  DARN I forgot how good those things sound and after a week they are still really good but nothing special as I have accustomed myself to them again.

You just need to find a favourite, fairly dynamic, well-recorded tune that you really like but don’t play that often.  Whenever your system starts sounding like just another stereo, pop that tune on/in and turn up the volume.  Sometimes it’s necessary to remind yourself what your system can do, and why you like it so much better than those ordinary ones.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Islander said:

You just need to find a favourite, fairly dynamic, well-recorded tune that you really like but don’t play that often.  Whenever your system starts sounding like just another stereo, pop that tune on/in and turn up the volume.  Sometimes it’s necessary to remind yourself what your system can do, and why you like it so much better than those ordinary ones.

I agree completely with this.  My good system makes bad recordings sound bad, which makes me question the whole journey.  A listen to a great recording puts it all back into perspective.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Islander said:

I do have a small list of ones I find remarkable. My favorite one for some time now has been Japanese Fireworks and not music. Good Cello recordings are next. Then it is a few from diverse genres that made it past the sound engineers in good shape.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

I do have a small list of ones I find remarkable. My favorite one for some time now has been Japanese Fireworks and not music. Good Cello recordings are next. Then it is a few from diverse genres that made it past the sound engineers in good shape.

To me well recorded vocals are the differentiator. Well recorded fireworks (rare) is the best differentiator for peak power output and transient response. The most impressive live AUDIO I have ever experienced for the Raw Power of Infrasonic BASS was when I went aboard my friend's pontoon boat and we were directly underneath the July 4 fireworks display on Lake Orion in 2016. Holy moly!

15 hours ago, rgdawsonco said:

I must say, I like when Fido posts about photography.

Me too, but he must keep in mind that Women's Nipples are EVIL in America (not in France) and can never be shown of Facebook or on a speaker forum. But men's nipple are ok to show. Funny world.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

And you thought cables and AB/X boxes were a big tangent from the OP about speaker break in. GOTCHA!

The crazy thing is every human has nipples and here in America people have issues with seeing a woman’s nipple but seeing the rest of the female breast is totally fine. What effect this phenom has on my speakers break in time escapes me but is par for the course on this audio forum. I am not sure my image of the rules violation warning even revealed any nips. I personally am not offended by seeing nipples from any gender. Now it’s time to listen to my well broken in speakers. I’m out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So I tune in and look to the Recent Post directory and see Speaker Break In and its latest posts on female nipples. Funny how threads take turns so far away from the topic although I am open minded and willing to learn about how female nipples effect speaker break in. 
Knowledge is a powerful thing — 🧐

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, richieb said:

So I tune in and look to the Recent Post directory and see Speaker Break In and its latest posts on female nipples. Funny how threads take turns so far away from the topic although I am open minded and willing to learn about how female nipples effect speaker break in. 
Knowledge is a powerful thing — 🧐

I guess I would be even more surprised if a 7 page thread didn't take a side trip now and then.  Not unique to this forum.