Ceiling Speakers for Heritage HT

cerescobra

Thanks for all the responses.  I bought the CDT-5800-C II's today.  There was no recommendation for enclosure size.  These speakers were meant to be installed in the infinite baffle of ceiling joints, so no enclosure is required or specified.  

Looking forward to getting them to the point that I can fire them up!

Cheers!

Chuck

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cerescobra said:

Thanks for all the responses.  I bought the CDT-5800-C II's today.  There was no recommendation for enclosure size.  These speakers were meant to be installed in the infinite baffle of ceiling joints, so no enclosure is required or specified.  

Looking forward to getting them to the point that I can fire them up!

Cheers!

Chuck

Just curious, have you listened to your complete HT system yet? That's a very nice list of goodies in your signature, and must sound wonderful.

Oh no, Bill, I'm in the early stages of theater construction.  I expect it will sound fantastic, but will have to wait awhile to confirm.  I'm working on two projects at the moment, so the HT won't get my full attention for awhile.  I've been collecting the audio gear for quite awhile and actually have spare amplifiers to press into service if needed.

Attached is the current status of what's not in boxes.  All of the speakers could certainly use refinishing, but since they'll be hidden in the theater, that's not part of my plan.  I fire them up to provide incentive as I work!  And yes, it does sound good...

Cheers!

Chuck

P1080187e.JPG

Thanks.  I'm engaged and totally looking forward to the journey. 

Funny story...I received the six CDT-5800-C II's yesterday and had them temporarily stacked near the kitchen.  My 90-year old mother in law looked at the boxes, and focused on the word "ceiling".  She asked if the boxes contained ceiling tiles.  And I said no, they are speakers.  She said speakers, why do you need so many speakers?  I replied, because I only have 13 and need more!

Cheers!

Chuck

IMG_20210304_113112191e.jpg

• Thanks 1

If budget isn't a big issue, for anybody looking to do this in the future, I would look at the IC-650-T.  I've actually sold more of the 8" 800's but the dispersion angles are a little narrow on those, these 650's are all you need for the home.  It has a transformer for 70V applications but you can bypass it for use with normal amps.  Only problem is that they cost significantly more than typical street price of the 5800's, cost is the big draw on those.  Anyway, these are ported and Roy designed that horn, there is a patent on it.  It's going to be the best match.  

https://www.klipsch.com/pro/distributed-audio#ic-650-t

Klipsch Home Speakers IC-650-T (W) (In-Ceiling Speakers) from Impel Services

Klipsch IC-650-T Par de bocinas para plafon de 70v de 60watts

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I'm going to start building backer boxes soon, so thought I would ping this group on size and interior treatment.  The boxes for the CDT-5800-CII's will be about 12" wide x 12" deep.  The length can be pretty much anything within reason.  Any recommendations on approximate volume of these boxes?  They'll be made from 5/8" MDF (because I have it) and will be lined with a layer of either 1/2" or 5/8" drywall for soundproofing.  So, I'm trying to decide how long to build the boxes and if they should be stuffed with some absorbent material.  If I make the boxes 1.0 - 1.5 cubic feet of volume, should that suffice?  Would I gain anything by increasing the volume?  I suspect not, since I doubt there will be much low frequency sound coming from above.  And should I stuff them with fiberglas insulation or pillow fluffy stuff or something else?  Or leave them "unstuffed"?

Thanks for any advice you can share!

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 3:22 PM, cerescobra said:

I'm going to start building backer boxes soon, so thought I would ping this group on size and interior treatment.  The boxes for the CDT-5800-CII's will be about 12" wide x 12" deep.  The length can be pretty much anything within reason.  Any recommendations on approximate volume of these boxes?  They'll be made from 5/8" MDF (because I have it) and will be lined with a layer of either 1/2" or 5/8" drywall for soundproofing.  So, I'm trying to decide how long to build the boxes and if they should be stuffed with some absorbent material.  If I make the boxes 1.0 - 1.5 cubic feet of volume, should that suffice?  Would I gain anything by increasing the volume?  I suspect not, since I doubt there will be much low frequency sound coming from above.  And should I stuff them with fiberglas insulation or pillow fluffy stuff or something else?  Or leave them "unstuffed"?

Thanks for any advice you can share!

Chuck

Why not use one of these Dynamat solutions?

https://www.dynamat.com/products/dynabox/

https://www.dynamat.com/products/enwall/

On 4/15/2021 at 5:12 PM, japosey said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've looked at those and wouldn't mind using them, except they are pretty pricey.  I'd rather build something at much lower cost and spend that money on other areas of the theater build.  The Dynabox looks like the bees knees for retrofitting though!

• 5 months later...

Backer boxes finished. Good first experience with applying Green Glue. Toughest part was cutting and fitting the drywall in the boxes.

Ceiling speaker boxes
ceiling-speaker-boxes-jpg.3182029

Ultrathin recessed light fixture boxes:
recessed-light-boxes-jpg.3182030

Combo boxes. These will accommodate both a speaker and a recessed light placed next to each other in one box .
combo-boxes-jpg.3182031

The sealant isn't pretty, but won't be visible. I plan to use the approach of mounting them with supports fastened to the ceiling channels. After doing the small replumbing job, I'll install DD + GG under the two HVAC supply runs and be ready to locate the backer boxes and finish the ceiling insulation. Then on to building one last bulkhead before running speaker wiring. I also need to run a LAN cable from my upstairs modem to the theater. What do you recommend? CAT 5, 6, 7, 8? I'm totally unfamiliar with network cabling and will appreciate your advice. It will be about a 50' run.

• Like 1

Should I put any insulation inside the boxes around the speakers?  Or leave them bare like the Heresy speakers are?  I've had one recommendation to put a square of insulation in one end of the box for damping, but am hoping for more suggestions.

Thanks!

I've seen recommendations on other forums to either loosely stuff the boxes with poly-filll or to simply put a square of insulation in one end of the boxes. So I'll probably do the poly-fill.  I've not encountered any suggested downsides to either approach.  Any comments here?

3 hours ago, cerescobra said:

I've seen recommendations on other forums to either loosely stuff the boxes with poly-filll or to simply put a square of insulation in one end of the boxes. So I'll probably do the poly-fill.  I've not encountered any suggested downsides to either approach.  Any comments here?

Yes, just do one and hear what you think. May be more difficult if already done all.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Clips and channel installed for the ceiling.  Backer boxes installed and wired.  All cables run.  Ready for drywall.  

86 sheets delivered.  Will start hanging it this week.  Partnering with a friend that does drywall finishing to do the whole job, including paint when the drywall is done.

IMG_20211107_184421479e.jpg

IMG_20211110_195151044e.jpg

IMG_20211111_144524182e.jpg

IMG_20211111_144528812e.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

It's been awhile since posting, but I'm getting closer.  First layer of drywall has been installed except for the bulkhead area where we have to move drywall to have access.  Second layer installed on the ceiling and in the areas where false soffits needed to be built.  Those were structured today and the speaker wires have been routed to the equipment rack area.  Hoping to be ready for mud and tape this weekend!

P1080466e.JPG

P1080467e.JPG

P1080468e.JPG

P1080469e.JPG

P1080472e.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Drywall's hung and taped.  Finishing will start today.

Test fit all the holes for lights and speakers.  Kudos to Klipsch for designing the CDT-5800-CII with 1 3/4" reach on the retainers. So they will easily be mounted in a ceiling with double drywall thickness.

Side surround backer boxes fit well also.  Looking forward to mounting speakers, but have to build stage, riser and columns before paint.  Then speakers!

Happy New Year!

IMG_20211230_133632975e.jpg

IMG_20220101_164445666e.jpg

IMG_20220101_164457705e.jpg

IMG_20220101_164505077e.jpg

IMG_20220101_164515273e.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Getting closer to completion.  I temporarily hooked up the CDT-5800C II's and found they sound pretty good.  But after changing the hookup to the Heresys in the surround positions I had to sit down and listen to a CD.  This is going to be good!  Especially after getting the La Scalas into the system along with the subs.  Carpet is scheduled on February 21 and then I can put the speakers on the stage.

IMG_20220208_143212960e.jpg

P1080556e.JPG

P1080552e.JPG

IMG_20220204_131952289e.jpg

IMG_20220204_132333214e.jpg

IMG_20220205_165932521e.jpg

• Thanks 1