Basic Speaker Design Question

rplace

Just now, Coytee said:

Just get some MWM Grand's and call it a day... :ph34r2:

I know it is Kounter-Klipsch, but I am really liking the open baffle sound. Maybe it is just different not better....and I like making things in my garage/shop. I also think the more equipment in my rack looks tougher, especially if rack mounted like the Crowns. After all it is about looks not sound, right? 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rplace said:

With 4 channels of identical amp power and 4 woofers it seems like 1 woofer per channel is the next logical test. I'm just unclear on how to make the single right output and single left output feed 2-channels in each amp. Is this worth perusing or should I just go back to 1 amp, 1 channel per dual woofers at 8 ohms? If for no other reason than to experiment I'd like to try one amp channel per woofer if that is reasonable.

They sell all kinds of cable splitters both balanced and unbalanced for very reasonable prices.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, rplace said:

I don't know. I'd guess no since it doesn't ring a bell, but I honestly don't know.

Just looked it up, yes it does. Sorry should have looked it up before asking. Crown calls it input "Y" mode. Directs input on channel 1 to both amp outputs. So you can without any adapters run one woofer off each output channel. But still you would get more overall total power with the 2 woofers wired in parallel and the amp in bridge mode. Just options that's all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, babadono said:

Just looked it up, yes it does. Sorry should have looked it up before asking. Crown calls it input "Y" mode. Directs input on channel 1 to both amp outputs. So you can without any adapters run one woofer off each output channel. But still you would get more overall total power with the 2 woofers wired in parallel and the amp in bridge mode. Just options that's all.

I had no idea such a thing exists. This is good news if I want to give it a try without waiting to order some cables. Sounds like I'd put the output from Xilica to channel 1 on the Crown(s) then mess with the menu to send that Chanel one's input to both speaker binding posts. I that how you understand it to work? 

I've been reading a bit more today on the Internet (scary thought) and I see lots of people saying not to bridge amps. Fair amount of debate, but seems like more against it than for it. 

Now that I think about it, if they are 8 ohm drivers and it is the parallel wiring that gets me to 4 ohms and thus more power from the amp. Won't an 8 ohm driver driven by a single amp channel present itself to the amp as 8 ohms? Seems like I'll be right back where I started, with the exception of a single channel per driver. Still, I guess that is 215w for one 8 ohm driver versus 215w for two 8 ohm drivers.

Thanks!

If you have 2 stereo amps,total of 4 channels, and run each output to 4 separate 8 ohm woofers utilizing the "Y" input option you will have a max power of 215 watts available for each woofer. If you parallel 2 woofers on each of the left and right side you will have 2 - 4 ohm loads. If you run each side with a bridged amp you will have a max power of 1100 watts on each side, 550 watts for each woofer. This is only an increase of a little over 3dB but hey headroom is a great thing.

• Thanks 1