The Klipsch Audio Community
JMON

First Watt

I haven't seen a thread dedicated to First Watt amplifiers so thought I would start one here.  For those of you that own or have owned First Watt amps, please indicate the model and share you impressions here.  Thanks!

• Like 1

First Watt J2. Sold my VRDs and George Wright 2A3 mono blocks. That good.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rplace said:

I've owned the Wright 2A3 Monos (still regret selling them), so I consider that to be very high praise!

• Like 1

Currently the F3 and J2,  both using JFET power transistors. Even producing less power,  15 vs 25 watts, and having less gain I’m leaning to the F3. It’s a damn special amp and like Rich said, very much a single ended signature but  more so than the J2 to my ears. A short period with the M2 but for me it was nothing special. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 4:25 PM, rplace said:

On 2/27/2021 at 9:40 AM, richieb said:

Currently the F3 and J2,  both using JFET power transistors. Even producing less power,  15 vs 25 watts, and having less gain I’m leaning to the F3. It’s a damn special amp and like Rich said, very much a single ended signature but  more so than the J2 to my ears. A short period with the M2 but for me it was nothing special. 

I have been fortunate to find another of the scarce F3’s so the F3 vs J2 comparison has come to an end. The J2 was sold to a forum member and the two F3 are being run as monoblocks. Very satisfied with the outcome and being able to prove my ambition to 

run monoblock F3’s with special thanks to Nelson Pass and Forum buddy MikeB. 

• Like 2

I think a First Watt thread is a great idea for Klipsch forum.  I have a Pass labs xa 25 and I’d love to learn peoples impressions of First Watt.  I’d love to try one.

1 hour ago, VDS said:

I think a First Watt thread is a great idea for Klipsch forum.  I have a Pass labs xa 25 and I’d love to learn peoples impressions of First Watt.  I’d love to try one.

As you may have noted I’m a fan of FW, the F3 in particular. I actually sold the XA25 in favor of the F3. For the money invested I enjoyed the F3 over the XA and sold while they were the latest and greatest from Pass. Fast forward to today and I sold a FW J2 after finding a second F3 to run as monoblocks. I did own an M2 for a short time and found it too didn’t live up to the F3. All my opinion of course - 

From what I’ve read in several places, the F3 sounds like a stand out.  I’ll be looking for one from now on.  I notice the F3, J2, and F8 are all jfets.  That may be too simplistic of a connection on my part.

Anybody have experience with the F8? Supposedly a “updated J2” according to NP. 

If memory serves the F3 is the only single ended And single gain stage “F” series. It’s single gain stage is part of its secret sauce. Keep in mind it is a 15 watt amplifier.