RP-160m vs old RF-62 mk1

StianT

Welcome.

Probably yes. Those RP160s are great speakers, but bookshelf speakers have a hard time keeping up with towers, especially if you like it loud. Your RF62 are pretty good speakers also.

I would definitely give it a try, you have nothing to lose. Is this for home theater or 2 channel music? Those four speakers would work well in a multi channel setup.

Let us know your findings.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Probably yes. Those RP160s are great speakers, but bookshelf speakers have a hard time keeping up with towers, especially if you like it loud. Your RF62 are pretty good speakers also.

I would definitely give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

True, nothing to lose but time to do it.

On the other hand, move the RF-62s to another room for a banging stereo rig.  They are very capable speakers for 2 channel and HT.

Bill

• Like 2

That sounds nice. Are your RP160s on stands? Usually a bookshelf on stands take up the same space as a tower. You might get a larger sound stage with the towers. If it's easy to switch, I would try it.

Or like Bill said, you have a great start to another system, because both of those speakers are worth using.

• Like 1

I would definitely try the 62s, even being off a little timbre wise, it could still sound better. A center speaker is the most important, then probably the sub, then mains.

I think those 160s are too high anyway, they should be somewhat in line with the center.

9 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I think those 160s are too high anyway, they should be somewhat in line with the center.

They are pretty close but maybe centered on the space between the horns and the woofers on the RP-160Ms would be a bit better.

Bill

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Just curious Bill, which speaker do you think would sound better?

Hard to say for me.  I have never heard the RP-160Ms.  

In true stereo, I think the RF-62 would have the edge due to them having a wider frequency response.  Add a well integrated subwoofer/s to the RP-160Ms and you would have a different ball game.

Bill