vintage heresy

Issacr

I have a pair of heresy speakers I bought in 1978, my first high end audio purchase out of college. loved them for over 40 years. Recently had flooded basement with one speaker sitting on floor in 4 inches of water. woofer cone  got wet but not the driver. Unit number is 50B658 inspected by Bob Hamilton. Would like to know what to do to restore functionality to this speaker and suggestions on how to restore both speakers to original specs. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

How is the woofer now after thoroughly drying or is it still wet?

Would open back and let air and sunshine in to the rear. Barring no decent weather would use a hairdryer. Your crossover did not submerge? 

Others may have better ideas.

Welcome to the forums! I imagine you have removed the back and dried out the cabinet. Can you post a pic?  It can't be too large. The crossovers are on a board attached to the side. For yourself, take pics of the wiring!  You might want to remove everything to make sure everything is dry. At the least, loosen and retighten all the screws on the crossover terminal strip.

Have youremoved the woofer? If not, do that and, again, make sure it's totally dry.

If it hasn't deformed in any way, great. Put it all together and try it out.

You can get replacement woofers if need be, Klipsch should have them. You might want to replace both woofers, even though they will pretty much last forever.

10 hours ago, billybob said:

Welcome to the forum!

How is the woofer now after thoroughly drying or is it still wet?

Would open back and let air and sunshine in to the rear. Barring no decent weather would use a hairdryer. Your crossover did not submerge? 

Others may have better ideas.

have the back open for a couple of days. there was only a few inches of water the speaker was in so maybe the bottom edge of the woofer was in the water. the cone wicked up some  don't believe to got to the center no water on the x-over panel. reading other posts should I replace the capacitors at this time also

• Like 1

I am guessing the wood seems ok no separation of plywood. If the woofer dried out good probably just stained so need to change it really if it still works fine. If the wood starts to separateerate you will need to try and fix it or build new cabinet or find one on ebay.

11 hours ago, Issacr said:

have the back open for a couple of days. there was only a few inches of water the speaker was in so maybe the bottom edge of the woofer was in the water. the cone wicked up some  don't believe to got to the center no water on the x-over panel. reading other posts should I replace the capacitors at this time also

Since you are original owner tell us how do they sound. A little dull or just right with detail. You would benefit from a capacitor refresh. No rush but worth considering.

@wuzzzer a member here has tried different ones in his Heresy.

Thanks!