Covid Vax, who's got it? and Worried About Side Effects?

kevinmi

I  did my double vax (Moderna) late March/late April, having scheduled the first dose for my first day of eligibility. First was pretty mild - felt sleepy/slouchy 6-30 hours out but not much else. Second one bit a little more....had fever/chills/sweats alternating and felt pretty out of it for a day or two. No picnic, but yet not intolerable either, a small price to pay for the statistical "advantage" of being vaccinated.

I spoke with an epidemiologist about the subject some months ago, where he gave the analogy of the bouncer in a bar. Said bouncer is working a bar where a certain troublemaker is causing problems around the place: first to the bartender, then on the back patio, then in the bathroom line, but he's not noticed so much cuz he's a stranger to the place, and no one places him. But the bouncer finally catches up with him and tells him his time is up - not too much of an event but everyone knows who he is now.

Four weeks later, said offender (now recognized COVID protein that the mRNA produces) shows up again, and now the staff knows who he is. Along comes the bouncer and kicks his arse out of the bar, and makes a little scene. Makes a few uncomfortable. But those who know the place knew who he was and wasted no time jumping him to eject him. This is the second shot, when your immune system now recognizes the offender (and hence the stronger and more direct reaction).

That's what's supposed to happen, to one extent or another, in someone with a normally operating immune system. Elderly whose immune systems are shot don' get much reaction. They really need the stuff.....

I would suggest hydrating well going into the procedure/timewait (36ish hours thereafter) as the second especially seemed to be taxing here (sweats/fever/chills, very evident the water loss). I had no issue keeping food/water/etc down, in fact woke up middle of night two drinking water just a bit hot around the head and elsewhere 🙂 Would do it all over again to put the numbers against infection on my side. Big relief getting that after a 13 month stint of working in and with the public and in tight quarters in a job where I have no other choice. So to me, its really was a relief, even among the night sweats.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, mungkiman said:

The day after my second Moderna jab was a little rough... YMMV

Same for my wife and me, both Moderna. She had body aches and joints on fire after about 36 hours. I just generally felt crappy and achy. We both felt markedly better by the following morning, after a solid night's rest (48 hours).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Second Moderna today.  So far still alive, yet I have this feeling that I am one day closer to death---thanks Pink Floyd.  Long term side effects include eventual death, I'll let you know when that happens so the anti-vaxxers can say I told you so, if they are still alive.

• Like 4

I'm a couple weeks out from my one-shot J&J vaccine. A little itchy rash at injection site for a few days is all so far.

That being said a coworker flew to Chicago for a wedding a couple weeks ago. Now he tests positive for Covid and his wife is actually sick from it. I told him to stay off airplanes and drive out but he said "I'm fully vaccinated." Hope his wife pulls through this.

North of the border here, 55 years old, “essential” worker (aren’t we all?) FINALLY got my first shot after a month long wait.

We wrote the book on nipping it in the bud up here... not. We are actually still locked down, no kidding.

I been Pfizered, second dose not scheduled until September. That’s supposed to change though.

I was indifferent at first, kinda like my take on crypto (lol), but we took a vote and my kids’ sway votes were democratically acknowledged.

Worked all day without incident, actually had a very productive day? Hmmmm... a side effect?

Feels like I bumped my arm on something, which is a normal occurrence on a good day. No scrapes or cuts is a bonus.

The real issue that is troubling me is I’m starting to feel privileged. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

No Fauci jab so far, still alive. Let’s all meet back in five years and see what’s what. 😀

Me either.  I think that if I were forced somehow to take one it would be either the Astra Zeneca or Novavax.

11 minutes ago, Deang said:

mRNA is the safest with the least side effects, and is the future for vaccines. Some of you have some really weird thinking on how this vaccine works. 

No weird thinking, just looking for several years worth of data in humans.  The amount of mRNA vaccine that has been pumped into people lately should give future users plenty of information on the safety and/or side effects of this type of treatment.  Scientists say this then say that and everything is revered as gospel till years later when it's actually not.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deang said:

mRNA is the safest with the least side effects, and is the future for vaccines. Some of you have some really weird thinking on how this vaccine works. 

I'm thinking that I should mow the lawn with a sickle today instead of a mower. Like seriousleh, if vacuum tubes are the way to audio bliss why not step back in terms of tech in these other ways. Sickles for lawn mowers, oxen for roto-tillers and old school technology vaccines when better is available.

If you want the "non-fauci" one it's the Pfizer, 100% "warp-speed" and gubmint free, point of fact....

I weighed my options and decided I'll take my chances with the virus. The odds are waaaaaaay in my favor. And all the vaccinated people need not worry about me. They are vaccinated.

Not saying I'll never get it, just don't see that it's necessary.

• Like 1