Covid Vax, who's got it? and Worried About Side Effects?

kevinmi

Having said that, it is curious how "the flu" was all but non-existent last year. Something worked there.

There are a lot of "curious" things about Covid. Or at least about the way it was portrayed and reported.

Shakey

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, geoff. said:

I literally flip-flopped several times on the final decision to take the shot of my choice.

I believe myself to be a very healthy specimen.

I also believe I had Covid just before Christmas 2019. I NEVER take a day off work for illness but I recall thinking if I wasn't off for holidays at the end of the week it was going to be a personal first. I was more drained than I had ever felt. Within a matter of days it was gone and the holidays were here.

In the end, in my heart of hearts, I do not for a moment believe we have seen the end of diseases like Covid. And their progressively worse variants.

I also think the mRNA approach is the answer.

A little adjustment to the recipe at each stage of mutation. 

I have never taken a flu shot, but I may reconsider this in the future too.

Having said that, it is curious how "the flu" was all but non-existent last year. Something worked there.

Logic says that the hand washing, distancing, and masks had a rather large impact on the flu.

Would venture to guess on the common cold also.

• Like 4

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

You are right. The risk will never be zero that you can contract covid. The risk that a monkey will stab me with a letter opener in my backyard while wearing a pink tutu is not zero either.

We take risks every day. The problem is our society has been conditioned to think "even if it saves one life". People don't want to think critically and figure out what's best for them. They would rather have an authority figure tell them what to do. If that's you (not you specifically, but figuratively speaking), then that's ok. That's your decision. I just don't think I should be penalized and reduced to a second class citizen because I didn't "do my part". And that's exactly where we are headed if "vaccine passports" become the norm. It's a slippery slope, just beware.

Shakey

It's actually here sooner. Last year Maine had a referendum to veto the legislature passing a law in 2019 that eliminated non-medical exemptions for child vaccinations to enter school. Your child has to receive the standard vaccinations to attend school unless a doctor signs off on a valid reason. The referendum lost (meaning the vaccination requirement stands) 70/30. 

When the next one hits, and there will be a next one, and if it has an R naught on the order of 4 (polio) or 15 (pertussis) and a mortality rate of something like 25 to 50% in children, you won't have a choice. But then, people wouldn't even be debating whether to get vaccinated or not. A big with those numbers would kill 10 to 50 million in the US (very conservative numbers). 

If the next one is mild like this one (relatively speaking of course), an R0 of around 2, and mortality of under 6% (and almost nil for kids) I don't think you are going to have much to worry about on changes other than minor short term lockdowns on international travel.

It's all going to be a function of the R0 and lethality of the next one.

• Like 2

If you attended public schools in Alabama, you've been vaccinated for all kinds of good stuff in the past. Had a guy at work yesterday tell me had wasn't getting a Covid shot and that he had never been vaccinated. What? I asked, did you attend public school? Yes, he said. Well, you've been vaccinated.

The specifics:

Children attending 5 year-old-kindergarten through 12th grade must have had 5 doses of diphtheria/tetanus/pertussis vaccine (4 if the 4th dose was received after the 4th birthday) and 4 doses of polio vaccine (3 if the 3rd dose was received after the 4th birthday). Booster doses of tetanus-diphtheria toxoid vaccine must be given every 5-10 years after the preschool booster. Children in these grades should also have received 2 doses of measles-containing vaccine and 1 dose each of mumps and rubella vaccine, usually administered as 2 doses of MMR vaccine. Varicella (chickenpox) vaccine for kindergarten entry became a requirement in 2001. This requirement will increase by one grade cohort until Fall 2013, when varicella documentation will be required for all children, kindergarten through 12th grade (see chart below). A positive test for varicella immunity or documentation of chickenpox disease is acceptable in lieu of varicella vaccine. Also, children attending 6th grade are required to have Tdap.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, geoff. said:

I also believe I had Covid just before Christmas 2019. I NEVER take a day off work for illness but I recall thinking if I wasn't off for holidays at the end of the week it was going to be a personal first. I was more drained than I had ever felt. Within a matter of days it was gone and the holidays were here.

I probably would have gotten tested prior to getting the shot then.  There's more information coming in all the time that says that you have immunity after having covid.

On 6/2/2021 at 2:35 PM, Shakeydeal said:

There are a lot of "curious" things about Covid. Or at least about the way it was portrayed and reported.

You mean things like the funeral home close to where I live that was totally booked for weeks on end? They almost couldn't get all the bodies prepared for the funerals.

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I probably would have gotten tested prior to getting the shot then.  There's more information coming in all the time that says that you have immunity after having covid.

Logic says, even if you did have it before, the information says likely antibody in the marrow, not positively. Also, even if were true and enough T-cell response could be generated to protect somewhat, are you protected from the variants?

I seriously doubt so...

Alright then, lol...

• Like 1

I was more afraid of Mr. Bubbles than I was getting the Pfizer shots. If Bill Gates has me microchipped now ... then he's in for a very boring time "tracking": me. 

Bottom line ... we all have to be comfortable with the decisions we make. I'm fine with my decision to be vaccinated. Funny how debating this vaccine is very similar to debating politics ... I don't think any of us will change anyone else's mind. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Heart inflammation investigated as possible rare COVID-19 vaccine side effect in teens and young people

Is Heart Inflammation a Side Effect of the COVID Vaccine? CDC Is Studying Reports of Myocarditis in Young People

In a May 17 statement posted on the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website, the Vaccine Safety Technical Work Group said it has received "relatively few reports of myocarditis to date," adding that these cases have been seen in males more than females, more often after a second dose of vaccine, and typically within four days of vaccination.

I bet Jon Rahm would get vaccinated if he could turn back time. With a 6 shot lead on the 18th hole Saturday at the Memorial Golf tournament (Top prize $1.6 Million) he tested pos. for Corona and was forced to withdraw. Had he been vaccinated, no testing required per PGA!!!

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/here-is-the-prize-money-payout-for-each-golfer-at-the-2021-memorial-tournament

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I got the Pfizer a week ago and shortly after noticed I had the most severe and intense neck aches in recent memory.

THEN I remembered I am looking up culling tent caterpillars off my birch tree branches several times a day! LOL!