Covid Vax, who's got it? and Worried About Side Effects?

kevinmi

Wife and I work a a facility where certain staff get tested once a month. We had our second vaccine shot on Feb 1. Wife tested positive on test last Friday, so they sent us both home to quarantine.

I had test last week before medical procedure and was negative. No symptoms for either of us... no pay while we're out, but I can do some work from home (IT). We're pretty sure it's a false positive.

We usually test somewhere else, as it has seemed that many have turned up positive and never shown symptoms. It'sour own medical staff taking the samples, which are sent out for the actual testing.

Very frustrating when your check drops... Filing unemployment for the short time off seems a crazy burden on the State system.

All that being said, some of those who have been positive have had symptoms and needed care and treatment.

12 hours ago, richieb said:

Hows about we play devil’s advocate here. Yes we all saw the Presidents with their sleeves rolled up and having an injection. Now the devils part - none of us has the slightest idea they received the actual vaccine - or sugar water. Nor will we ever - 

Tomorrow the wife and I - second Moderna 

Well it’s obvious that HE got what HE at least believes is the actual vaccine because he came out of the basement. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

It doesn't prevent you from getting covid.  Thats just more disinformation. 

What? Can you explain that? I can't find anything along those lines.

I do hope we learn a lot from this about managing epidemics in the future. In retrospect I bet we will say some states were too restrictive, some were too loose, and no one handled it perfectly. We will probably use the US response as textbook case of how not to handle things in the future. It will be medical experts that do that work, based on science and data, not armchair journalists pulling together a few random facts to make clickbait. This is also why we need competent professionals in places like the CDC.

It is frustrating and frankly scary that many of the states that did not impose regulations did so not because they had better science, data, or medical opinions, but because for some reason people thought being asked to wear a mask in public is infringing on their personal liberty.

Anyway, rant over! Here's to things opening up and my god I can't wait to have a beer on a crowded outdoor patio with no mask. 🍻

29 minutes ago, iaRIVR said:

What? Can you explain that? I can't find anything along those lines.

Everything I've read said that you can still get the disease but the effects will be lessened after vaccination.  They're not 100% effective in everyone either.  The vaccines are supposed to help your body fight the disease once you have it.

NYCU-Can-I-still-get-COVID-after-getting

So I’m sure we have all seen that the “experts” at the cdc have now said that masks reduced the infection rate by a whopping......2%. Wow that’s just incredible! So I guess all the mask propaganda was right, mask do save lives..🙄

29 minutes ago, iaRIVR said:

It is frustrating and frankly scary that many of the states that did not impose regulations did so not because they had better science, data, or medical opinions, but because for some reason people thought being asked to wear a mask in public is infringing on their personal liberty.

The science is all over the place on this.  What is the science behind California STILL not allowing gyms to open?  Is their science right and all other states wrong or the other way around?

Aren't most of the COVID fatalities people with pre-existing conditions that in many cases can be improved or addressed so that the "outcome" is better (e.g. not death)? For instance, no one is talking about how to reduce diabetes, obesity, etc. Rather, the system seems geared more toward creating things that profit from poor health conditions (e.g. more drugs, higher prices for drugs, fast food, long working hours, etc.). There's not much money to be made in preventative care under the current system for the health care giants.

Carl: Here's a link to the data you mentioned about rates in FL v.s. others with more restrictive economies. This one from the WSJ.

4 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Because saying the vaccine was developed and delivered between 2 administrations was giving credit to both and why we have a vaccine.

That's just begging for a political partisan response.  You're not naive enough to think it isn't.

Absolutely pre-existing conditions are a factor, but people are dying because of covid.

I have no idea what science is behind CA not opening gyms, as I said when we look back we will find (gasp) states on both sides were wrong.

23 minutes ago, Madman1 said:

So I’m sure we have all seen that the “experts” at the cdc have now said that masks reduced the infection rate by a whopping......2%. Wow that’s just incredible! So I guess all the mask propaganda was right, mask do save lives..🙄

Where is this fact? So if the CDC are not 'experts' who do you trust the next time we have a pandemic???? I don't get it.

Even if it's 2%, that's a lot of lives and it slows transmission rates. So it's better. And it's not hard to do.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, iaRIVR said:

Even if it's 2%, that's a lot of lives and it slows transmission rates. So it's better. And it's not hard to do.

A good article on masks.

https://www.livescience.com/are-face-masks-effective-reducing-coronavirus-spread.html

Last paragraph if you don't want to read the entire article.

"There's been enough research done to be able to confidently say that masks wouldn't be able to stop the spread of infection, that they would only have a small effect on transmission," Cowling said. "We shouldn't be relying on masks to help us go back to normal."

My personal opinion (which isn't worth much actually) is that for masks to be effective, EVERYONE should wear an N95.  If not, then they're not much use.  There's tons of pros and cons all over the internet to bolster anyone's argument one way or the other.

Just for giggles- the author of that article is in no way a medical expert and is clearly just pulling random facts from all over the place. This is not a good article.

Stephanie Pappas is a contributing writer for Live Science. She covers the world of human and animal behavior, as well as paleontology and other science topics. Stephanie has a Bachelor of Arts in psychology from the University of South Carolina and a graduate certificate in science communication from the University of California, Santa Cruz. She has ducked under a glacier in Switzerland and poked hot lava with a stick in Hawaii. Stephanie hails from East Tennessee, the global center for salamander diversity. Follow Stephanie on Google+.

Although I do agree on cloth masks, I get early on when there was a shortage but now the higher the better. No one is saying masks are the solution, but they are definitely part of the solution. Along with vaccines.

• Like 1

Here is a more current article from a reliable source: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

From the JAMA link: 

Prior to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, the efficacy of community mask wearing to reduce the spread of respiratory infections was controversial because there were no solid relevant data to support their use. During the pandemic, the scientific evidence has increased. Compelling data now demonstrate that community mask wearing is an effective nonpharmacologic intervention to reduce the spread of this infection, especially as source control to prevent spread from infected persons, but also as protection to reduce wearers’ exposure to infection.

COVID-19 spreads primarily through respiratory droplets exhaled when infected people breathe, talk, cough, sneeze, or sing. Most of these droplets are smaller than 10 μm in diameter, often referred to as aerosols. The amount of small droplets and particles increases with the rate and force of airflow during exhalation (eg, shouting, vigorous exercise). Exposure is greater the closer a person is to the source of exhalations. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Here is a more current piece: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

From your article.  It appears that they're covering their butts.

"Recommendations for masks will likely change as more is learned about various mask types and as the pandemic evolves."

They're still gathering info on various mask types?????

Again, I think that IF you're going to wear a mask that the N95 is the one to use.  We have all this data and yet say that any face mask is fine.  Follow the science or don't follow it.

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

From your article.  It appears that they're covering their butts.

No, they are a scientific journal giving information to date. 

"Recommendations for masks will likely change as more is learned about various mask types and as the pandemic evolves."

They're still gathering info on various mask types????

I guess so.

Again, I think that IF you're going to wear a mask that the N95 is the one to use.

Definitely! If you wear yours you have a significant amount of protection especially if you continue to social distance.

We have all this data and yet say that any face mask is fine.  Follow the science or don't follow it.

I agree except if a great number isn't following the science we all suffer the consequences.