Klipsch KLF 20/30 cabinet repairs

Hi everyone. 
I have a friend who wants to trade me these KLF’s with water damaged cabinets. I’m looking for guidance on repairing them if possible. There are no tags on them so I’m guessing they are KLF 30’s, the woofers are 12”. The bottoms and about 1” up are swollen and they have various chips and scrapes. So far I know the tweeters are dead, mids are 12 ohms on the meter and so far 2 of the 12” woofers are at 6-7 ohms. One woofer has lost its dust cap. They are 46” tall 14” wide and 17” deep. I’m also wondering if they are worth the $300 trade value. Thanks

CCCCEDB6-4BEB-4F72-B573-52153AACF153.jpeg

92136532-80CE-48D5-89F1-1610B619C934.jpeg

Edited by Vince1966
Add photos

They aren't worth a cup of coffee.

If your friend GAVE them to you, then I'd say yes. You might be able to find replacement tweeters/midrange driver on eBay, You could repair the woofer with parts from simplyspeakers.com.

You can't repair water damaged cabinets; the underlying plies usually warp, and the cabinet may begin t split at the joints. Repair it for use in a man cave, basement, or garage.

The good: 4 woofer 

2 mid range drivers and horns.

Crossovers

2 binding post plates.

4 port tubes

the bad:    2 dead tweeters

2 bad cabinets

Not liking the idea of having to replace the cabinets, I’m sure a cabinet shop can make new ones for a decent price out of better materials, has anyone gone this route? Is it worth the effort? I’ve built a few subs and custom cabinets and there is a local shop that will do the cutting but I’m not finding any plans for these, reverse engineering Looks like the only option. Are they a worthy speaker to save/ resurrect as far as sound quality goes?

My 2 cents is if you're looking for a project, have at it. It can be fun. 

-Crites Ti diaphragms are $63 shipped for the tweeters.   

-Dust caps are pretty cheap.... I would replace all 4 to match.  I purchased several times from Lord of base.... I was hesitant at first because of the name, but they are actually great and have great customer service: https://thelordofbass.com/product-category/loud-speaker-parts/dust-caps/

I like to refinish speakers, but I am very hesitant to get into a project with speakers that look very neglected.... it says to me they didn't care for them... and that usually translates into cranking the heck out of them usually past their limits (blown tweeters, rubbing voice coils on the woofers, etc.)

If you're looking to just part it out, you will most likely at least break even or do a little better, but the frustration dealing with the average person out there might not be worth it!  The mids will sell relatively easily.  It took about 3 months for the ones I had to sell. I think I sold them for about $100 for the pair.  The crossovers sold for $60 for the pair.  The tweeters sold for $50.  The woofers I still have. (And all of the components were/are in excellent condition)

Majority of the damage is swelling at the bottom and edges opening up a bit. Inside the cabinets are dry and the joints are solid. The bottom panel has to be replaced. 
i rechecked the woofer readings with my other multi meter, they are all 5.8 ohms. The mids are 11.8. Tweeters still dead. Sad thing is, down here we have a lot of humidity, storing anything with MDF is a death sentence. 

0B2F0209-F255-42D0-B56A-3B1E894F8BA8.jpeg

2CECD3E0-D82C-4218-AB99-D264C7A01B85.jpeg

35701472-49C6-42D1-BE3A-DE43C2C9536F.jpeg

7A2CC590-69F4-476F-91F9-696E688D1931.jpeg

Edited by Vince1966

they are easily worth that price parted out.  the "not worth a cup of coffee" comment is ridiculously wrong. 

the water damage does look pretty bad on the bottom boards, & they should be replaced if you are trying to make them look presentable, however, if you just want to have some speakers in say a garage or primitive man cave to blast some music then you could possibly just sand them down to flatten/level out the swelling & use some gorilla glue on the inside seams for strength, shoot some black paint on them & use them as is for awhile until you decide if you want to have new cabinets made.  also, used OEM tweeter diaphrams come up for sale quite often for a lot cheaper than new titanium diaphrams, & thats all thats needed to get the tweets working again.  

also being they are so rough & have some blown tweeters, you can probably get them for less that $300.  whatever you do keep this thread updated or if you part them out im sure the parts will sell quick on here.   

• Like 2

. I have been going over the cabinets and seeing what can be done, most of the damage is at the edges.  I'm going to take one to our cabinet guy and see what he thinks, maybe new bottoms and fix the edges. he cut all my wood for the Lil Mike subs at a fair price. the front motor board and rear board are undamaged. 

• Like 2

i have built new bottoms, removed the front and rear panels to rebrace the cabinet walls, I salvaged the veneer off the bottoms to use a repair pieces for some chips in the cabinets. anyone know what paint Klipsch used on the klf"s? Lacquer or oil based?

• Like 1

can say for sure what type of paint klipsch used on these but many people say a common satin black is a good match & looks great.  if you want to spray it you can use krylon satin black in a spray can or rustoleum to roll on. dont think it was lacquer but any type of decent quality paint will work fine if prepped good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

can say for sure what type of paint klipsch used on these but many people say a common satin black is a good match & looks great.  if you want to spray it you can use krylon satin black in a spray can or rustoleum to roll on. dont think it was lacquer but any type of decent quality paint will work fine if prepped good. 

thanks, I will pick up a few different ones to test out. 

• Like 1