RB-81ii’s as Atmos speakers?

timdog5000

Good evening all,

The times that I have actually heard my rear surround speakers in 7.2 configuration, are few and far between.

I remember one specific movie, “Jack Ryan-Shadow Recruit” with Chris Pine.

there was an explosion in a helicopter scene and it was the first time I heard them and it sounded really awesome, however that’s about the only time that comes to mind that I actually noticed them. 
     Are they playing much more ambient sound than I realize? I’m just wondering if I could move them to Atmos duty in a 5.2.2 configuration. I spray painted my floor joists black and they would fit in well up there but I’m not sure the dispersion pattern is correct for Atmos. Or Possibly other problems that are over my head even. (No pun intended..atmos..I kill me)

If that is a bad idea I could always sell them and get the CDT 5800, I believe I’ve read that’s a good choice.

I’m finally getting actual walls and a screen in my basement home theater after assembling things for the past 12 years. 
I have six children and I think John Lennon said it best when he said something to the effect of,”life is what happens when you try to make plans.”

Anyway, any and all comments or suggestions are appreciated.

I know I always say this on the few posts that I do make.  The most important resource we have is our time, I appreciate any spent helping me on this post!

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I'd say it's definitely worth trying. 5.2.2 might just sound better in your room the 7.2. Triple RF7lls might be hard to keep up with.

I do give them a slight boost, after I run YPAO . Still...crickets..

On 2/28/2021 at 9:03 PM, Zen Traveler said:

If you seldom realize your rear speakers it sounds like an AVR setup issue. Fwiw, I've run rears for almost 2 decades and now use the "Dolby PLIIz" setting using heights and Rears and it sounds fabulous! When my Den9n Avr-4311bites the dust I'm going 7.2.2. :)

I almost always watch Blu-ray’s down there exclusively. So I usually just default to Dolby true HD or whatever it says on the setup.

I’ll have to give that a try

I'll tell you what I've found that rears in at least a 7.2 config helps is Multichannel Music (DVD-A/SACDs). I have the Talking Heads collection and they are phenomenal!.  There are quite a few tracks where I swear it was a 7.1 mix! 🧐 I also read where the new Dolby Surround mixer for Atmos is a step above that. Unfortunately I can't consider that until my current AVR bites the dust. 

7 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Each room is different, some rooms might like 5.2.2, some rooms a 7.2 might sound better.

I know I hear crowd noise in concerts but effects in movies seem few and far between. However, I also dont stand back there listening for them. They are nice big Ol’ rear surrounds and look cool hanging from my floor joists bracket aiming down toward us. BUT, I have read somewhere 5.2.2 can be better option than 7.2. I guess only one way to find out.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2021 at 8:58 PM, timdog5000 said:

BUT, I have read somewhere 5.2.2 can be better option than 7.2. I guess only one way to find out.

Oh, I would definitely probably to that route if I had to choose but when my AVR-4311ci goes out I will go from 9.2 (7.2 config with hights) to 7.2.2 and keep the rears. I of course would need an upper end AVR but I wouldn't be upgrading anytime soon.  

21 hours ago, dtr20 said:

When I first got atmos, I ran 7.2.2 for a bit, but the effect was lost without the rear. Once I got my rear atmos speakers, the effect was complete. I love it now

I gather you were using front and middle  heights prior to adding the rears? Fwiw, I'm hoping I can still use the same front height placement my speakers are currently in and add an additional pair of speakers overhead to make 7.2.4. 

I gather you were using front and middle  heights prior to adding the rears? Fwiw, I'm hoping I can still use the same front height placement my speakers are currently in and add an additional pair of speakers overhead to make 7.2.2. 
I'm using middle heights for my rear atmos speakers. I can't place any in the rear, but the middle still gives the effect

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1