A Home Theater System

MASTER_G

I am trying to set up a home theater system in my house. This is my first time doing this so all of this is pretty new. I am tech oriented though so most of this stuff will probably be pretty easy to figure out. I am trying to set up a system that will include the following:

RC-7 Center Channel

Dual RF-7 Front Channels

Dual RS-7 Rear Channels

RSW-15 Subwoofer

That is all easily figured out. Now my question is how do I support all of this stuff. What hardware will I need to run all this stuff. I would assume that all I would need is a Stage One Preamplifier and Processor and a 2005 Amplifier to run all of the speaker channels.

Edited: Also, the capacity on the speakers is limited. If the 2005 is just outputing a solid 200W per channel all the time, wouldn't that be bad for the speakers and cause issues. Or will the thing simply compensate and change the ammount of wattage necessary for that ceratin speaker. Like if I were using a 100W speaker on a 200W amplifier would I be blowing out speakers left and right or would the amp. compensate and only output the necessary 100W.

Thanks for the help.

" If the 2005 is just outputing a solid 200W per channel all the time, wouldn't that be bad for the speakers and cause issues. "

The output power specification of an amplifier refers to the amount of power that is available at maximum output. The amount of power the amplifier actually supplies at any given time is dependent upon the voltage supplied by the input device and the power demand of the loudspeakers.

The reference series are extremely efficient loudspeakers and put out one hello of a lot of sound at very low power levels so a 200 X 5 amplifier is probably overkill in that those speakers will rarely if ever draw more than 50 watts per channel and most of their operation will be happening at something less than 5 watts per channel. That said the speakers are easily capable of taking all of the clean power the amplifier can supply.

Here's the math:

To double the sound output of a speaker the acoustic output ( ie. volume ) must be increased by 3 db. Every increase of 3 db. in acoustic output requires a doubling of input power.

The RF 7's are rated at 102 db/w/m. ( In other words a Sound pressure meter will register 102 db. if pointed on axis (ie. directly at ) an RF 7 which is being driven by a 1 watt signal of 1 Khz frequency - Therefore :

1 watt > 102 db

2 watts > 105 db

4 watts > 108 db

8 watts > 111 db

16 watts > 114 db

32 watts > 117 db

64 watts > 120 db

128 watts > 123 db

Given that 100 db. is routinely characterised as " loud " ( a gasoline lawnmower in full flight produces about 96 db. and 100 db is a little over twice as loud)) in published articles by audio engineers and audiologists alike and further that anything over 110 db. is considered dangerous (ie. your hearing may be permanently damaged) if your ears are subjected to it for extended periods it would appear that a 50 watt per channel amplifier is more than adequately able to provide the short power bursts required by transients in your music or in the explosions/gunshots/etc. being presented in your movies.

Leaving aside the marketing value ( as per Tim "The Toolman" Taylor ) of high power ratings it is also true that many of the speakers produced by other manufacturers require a considerable amount of power to produce high SPL's:

For example speakers rated at 90 db/w/m are considered of average efficiency but would require a power input of about 120 watts to produce a spl of 110 db. It follows then that while users of low to moderate efficiency speakers may actually require high powered amplification - Users of high efficiency speakers do not need high power amps and in fact there is evidence to suggest that many high power amps produce significantly more distortion at low power (ie where highly efficient speakers operate most of the time) than they do at power levels which are so high as to be of no practical value with high efficiency speakers. Another reason that "amplificados con mas grande cojones" are more suited to low efficiency speakers than to the Klipsch line.

Notwithstanding all of the above it is true that while a good 200 watt/ch/5 ch amplifier will not harm your Reference Series speakers I would suggest you do further research and look for an amp that provides adequate power and features and not worry overly much about whether other amps out there might be able to provide excess power that you will never be able to use.

Quality is more important than Quantity

Master_G,

The Synergy speakers do not compare to the Reference series in sound quality for home theater. Very few speakers can compete with the RF-7s, if you like horn drivers.

I believe Lynnm's only point was that a lot of power is not needed to drive RF-7s well. A good 125 watt amp will do quite nicely.

Bill

mg, what happened here? did lynn scare you away? 9.gif you wouldn't be downgrading speaker power, you'd be downgrading speaker performance. i'd get the reference speaks & if you need to save some dough get a lesser powered amp.

though the 2005 would be fine & what i'd get at least w/ the stage one pre/pro. more power is not bad to a point (like maybe 500W/channel 16.gif). & you will be driving 5 speakers. i have 200WX7 & its excellent w/ no problems at all even cranked all the way up at times. only damage to worry about is your ears. 2.gif

FWIW

The figures I quoted are based on a single high efficiency speaker @ 1watt/@ 1 Khz.. Assuming a normal sized room (eg. 15 X 20 X 8 ) I cannot imagine the need for more than a stereo pair of Klipsch speakers driven by something in the order of 50 watts/channel .

To reiterate my point is not that high power is bad per se but simply to point out that high power is not really needed for the Reference series and that the major factor to consider when purchasing an amplifier is how good is the amp. How powerful the amp is is a lesser consideration.

I will have to respectfully disagree with McGoo's assertion that the Synergy Series does not compare to the Reference series.

In absolute terms, yes, the RF-3II's do have a nicer sound than the SF-2. However, saying the SF-2 "doesn't compare" is misleading. The SF-2 has probably 95% of the capabilities of the (much) more expensive RF's. In my humble opinion, and in my humble checkbook and my humble listening space for that matter, the SF-2's have 95% of the sound for about 65% of the cost. Not a bad comparison.

If you have the money, by all means, get the RF's. However you shouldn't feel like you've been shortchanged if you step down to the Synergy series... Sounds almost the same, and certainly better than anything else in the same price range.