Best sounding integrated for Chorus II ?

Sorry if this is asked frequently.  Looking for a nice tube, hybrid or class A ss amp for my Chorus II, preferably with good DAC (not required), under $1k.  I've got Klipschorns at my other house and love a high quality tube amp with them, but I have read that Chorus II prefer a lot more power to drive those big stiff woofers since they don't have the benefit of the folded horn like the KHs.  Anyway, here's where I'm leaning toward, but haven't heard any of them (prices are for new or used, depending what I'm seeing out there).  Thoughts, experiences??

ELAC EA

CAMBRIDGE CXA60

REGA BRIO

NAD C368 - class D

VINCENT SV200 hybrid tube
MUSICAL FIDELITY A100, A3.2 or A5 - class A (the A100 can be had for close to $500)
SCHIIT AEGIR - class A - $800

ROGUE AUDIO SPHINX v2 - hybrid tube/SS

Tubes in the pre amp section are popular now, the idea has gone around a few times.

Search for bench tests on the amps, measured performance matters.

There are a lot of 50W models SS in the market now, this is the sweet spot and is highly competitive.

Built in DAC might get you in the SN 110db or better range, Schiit does it outboard if I recall correctly

I own some older great sounding 50-75 amps

Haven't tried one, but the reviews, feedback and bench tests all like Schiit and this product

the owner is, was, a high end audio engineer and went out on his own.

You would need a DAC with this unit and a pre amp unless the DAC has a volume control

S sells a passive volume control for $50

Their DACs are also highly regarded.

Refresh my memory, what are the Specs on the Chorus ??

SCHIIT AEGIR - class A - $800

I have had Chorus 2s for several years now. Most of those years tethered to a NAD C372 (150Wx2) with a NAD C162 preamp, which I thought sounded pretty good. Not lacking to be sure.

Recently an Emotiva XPA2-GEN3 (300Wx2) with a NAD C165 preamp fell into my livingroom.

I had NO idea what I was missing until now. Punchier, tighter, lower, WELL-defined bass!

Even my 13 year old son came downstairs the first week and asked where all the bass came from.

An unexpected, yet familiar, by-product of all of this is that the volume level at which I become engaged in the music has actually gotten LOWER. Very much like when I finally took the plunge on LaScalas. 

Nobody needs a Hemi to drive around the block, but there is no replacement for displacement.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, geoff. said:

I have had Chorus 2s for several years now. Most of those years tethered to a NAD C372 (150Wx2) with a NAD C162 preamp, which I thought sounded pretty good. Not lacking to be sure.

Recently an Emotiva XPA2-GEN3 (300Wx2) with a NAD C165 preamp fell into my livingroom.

I had NO idea what I was missing until now. Punchier, tighter, lower, WELL-defined bass!

Even my 13 year old son came downstairs the first week and asked where all the bass came from.

An unexpected, yet familiar, by-product of all of this is that the volume level at which I become engaged in the music has actually gotten LOWER. Very much like when I finally took the plunge on LaScalas. 

Nobody needs a Hemi to drive around the block, but there is no replacement for displacement.

Couldn’t agree more. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, geoff. said:

Andover Mass ???

Not to hijack this thread at all, but figure this is related enough. Any feedback on this piece? I run all digital sources and have always liked NAD's sound. I am looking for more punch on my RF-7's in a similar way as the OP is. NAD C 390DD Stereo Integrated Amplifier

14 hours ago, geoff. said:

A 2nd gen XPA-2 got my 2 channel rocking. 

Is the 3rd gen XPA-2 modular, able to add channels?

6 hours ago, NavinRJohnson said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I've got a strange set up and room, so was hoping to just place the amp on top of one of the speakers and would like an integrated vs. separate full size pre/pro components.  I may just have to try something and see how it goes.

You can score a used surround amp with good decoders for almost nothing $50-100 and turn off all of the surround and go direct from the DAC into the Amp section, gets you pretty much everything inc a remote control. I like Yamahas, also have a HK I like and some pioneers, I buy them as toys if the price is low enough.

Location ?

11 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

A 2nd gen XPA-2 got my 2 channel rocking. 

Is the 3rd gen XPA-2 modular, able to add channels?

The XPA can accommodate up to five channels in one chassis. Due to wall current limitations the maximum power output of each channel decreases slightly as you add more, there’s only so much juice to squeeze.

• 5 months later...
On 3/1/2021 at 8:07 AM, Ceptorman said:

Ive heard good things about that Cambridge Audio CXA61, it's $1000.

I'm strongly considering the CX81 myself. I like that it has balanced XLR inputs so that I could go XLR from my Schiit Modius into the CX81. Currently I'm going from the Modius into an Onkyo TXNR757 A/V receiver via RCA and I tell you what: bypassing the internal DAC of that Onkyo was one of the best audio upgrades I've ever done. I wasn't even a true believer in DACs up to that point. And maybe it isn't the DAC chip that made the difference, maybe it was just bypassing the noisy internals of the receiver. But whatever it was, it was night and day. 

• Like 2

You may want to consider the Rotel lineup of Integrated Amps. Their more recent models such as the RA-12 and A-12 have built in DAC’s. I am currently using the Rotel RA-12 as my Pre-Amp while hooked up to a SAE-501A 250wpc power amp. It offers a tons of flexibility for inputs, optical/coaxial, to which I run my Oppo Blu-ray and tv. Cd and phono sections as well as a front panel input if you ever want to run your IPhone or other such device directly to the Rotel. It is also Blu-Tooth capable. Used they are well within your budget and I saw one recently trade on AudioKarma around the $600 price point. Good luck in your search.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RT FAN said:

You may want to consider the Rotel lineup of Integrated Amps. Their more recent models such as the RA-12 and A-12 have built in DAC’s. I am currently using the Rotel RA-12 as my Pre-Amp while hooked up to a SAE-501A 250wpc power amp. It offers a tons of flexibility for inputs, optical/coaxial, to which I run my Oppo Blu-ray and tv. Cd and phono sections as well as a front panel input if you ever want to run your IPhone or other such device directly to the Rotel. It is also Blu-Tooth capable. Used they are well within your budget and I saw one recently trade on AudioKarma around the $600 price point. Good luck in your search.

Bet that SAE delivers. Some Rotel integrated even have a sub out.

Cool...

• Thanks 1

I don't know about the Chorus II, but I just picked up the best sounding integrated amp (or separate amp for that matter) that I've had the pleasure of hearing. An Allnic T-2000. The latest version is the 25th Anniversary model which can be had new for 10K. Used models range from 4K to 6K. An absolute bargain for what it does.

Shakey

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billybob said:

Bet that SAE delivers. Some Rotel integrated even have a sub out.

Cool...

Not to derail the thread, but I found.a guy who worked with the designer of that SAE amp. He was doing repair work on that engineer’s models, SAE, Ampzilla, Son of Ampzilla, etc. last I heard he was working for VPI turntables.

As a side note, the loudest I ever pushed the SAE was 1 whole watt, given the efficiency of the Chorus II, it was concert level loud for these old ears. (As a tribute to the passing of legendary bassist/vocalist John Wetton, I cranked up King Crimson: USA.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1