Cornwall and Heresy maintenance

Cabaguan

I am new to the forum and appreciate your guidance and direction.

I have a pair of Cornwalls (Type CD-BR, Serial #s 10P152, 10P148) which I bought used 40 years ago and still love, have not used them regularly in the past 15 years but am planning to now. They still sound great, but I appreciate that internally they should be maintained, as no work has been performed on them since I first bought them.

I bought a pair of used Heresy Industrials (Type H, Serial #s 1136, 1138) about a year ago; they too sound very good but I'm unsure of their history regarding any work which was done on them.

At this point, what work/assessment would be appropriate for each set of these to be sure they're functioning at their best? I don't have any experience working on speakers, and would appreciate having a basic understanding of what I might need when talking to a potential audio shop/technician so I don't sound like a complete fool. After finishing some remodeling, I want to get each of these placed without having to move them again any time soon.

I so appreciate the knowledge and history available here, and the time taken to respond to this post to get me headed in the right direction. As well, any information regarding the componentry of these speakers which would be good for me to know would be appreciated as well. 

Again my thanks for sharing your time and insights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless any of the caps are leaking you really aren't going to gain anything unless you invest in some really high end networks.  I would get some Caigs DeOxit and loosen up all the spade terminals on the crossover network give them a spray and retighten all of them.  Make sure crossover board is mounted tight on the side on the cabinet.  Unscrew each of the K-55's and replace the rubber gasket that is inside the horn lens at the bottom of the threads.  That is about it.  Really easy doesn't cost much other than the Caigs and some of your time.

• Like 2

Thanks for both of these posts.

I've done very simple soldering now and then, certainly no expert. 

I can take and attach pics if helpful--the Cornwalls are not pretty, as I used to DJ with them and have bumped them around a bit.

I'll order some Caigs DeOxit; where would I get the gaskets from?

Thank you both for your time and advice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cabaguan said:

where would I get the gaskets from?

if you can find plumbers sheet rubber gasket , Orange --just cut /outline the same size as the old parts --and if thicker ---better

Using Plumbers gasket with embossing folders to eliminate folder lines. |  Card making techniques, Card making tutorials, Embossing folder

You can get new capacitors from BOB Crites or JEM i think here. I think JEM are Klipsch certified but a little high priced for me. Check all crossover screws loosen and retighten them. I would put a foam seal on the back panel to seal them better. I used O ring on my mid driver instead of that flat washer. 1 x 1 1/4 x 1/8. 

Most likely those capacitors are way off spec. New Crossovers | Critesspeakers.com     JEM Performance capacitor rebuild kit - Heresy Type E network - Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio Community

19 hours ago, Cabaguan said:

Thanks for both of these posts.

I've done very simple soldering now and then, certainly no expert. 

I can take and attach pics if helpful--the Cornwalls are not pretty, as I used to DJ with them and have bumped them around a bit.

I'll order some Caigs DeOxit; where would I get the gaskets from?

Thank you both for your time and advice.

Yes just keep it simple and enjoy!

I am new to the forum and appreciate your guidance and direction.

I have a pair of Cornwalls (Type CD-BR, Serial #s 10P152, 10P148) which I bought used 40 years ago and still love, have not used them regularly in the past 15 years but am planning to now. They still sound great, but I appreciate that internally they should be maintained, as no work has been performed on them since I first bought them.

I bought a pair of used Heresy Industrials (Type H, Serial #s 1136, 1138) about a year ago; they too sound very good but I'm unsure of their history regarding any work which was done on them.

At this point, what work/assessment would be appropriate for each set of these to be sure they're functioning at their best? I don't have any experience working on speakers, and would appreciate having a basic understanding of what I might need when talking to a potential audio shop/technician so I don't sound like a complete fool. After finishing some remodeling, I want to get each of these placed without having to move them again any time soon.

I so appreciate the knowledge and history available here, and the time taken to respond to this post to get me headed in the right direction. As well, any information regarding the componentry of these speakers which would be good for me to know would be appreciated as well. 

Again my thanks for sharing your time and insights.

If they sound good,don’t do anything just enjoy. You’ll know if anything goes wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk