Klipsch thx ultra2 setup

johnnyboy632

Hi all,

just upgraded to the thx range from the rp range. I have it connected to an x8500 with the audyssey reference curve. I have read that thx range have a flat frequency response, my question is to get the best out of them should I switch to the flat curve in audyssey or has that nothing to do with speaker response. Anything with a lot more knowledge than me I would love to hear your advice or tips. Also getting a weird null of -17db at the 1-3k hz range according to audyssey, I have repositioned speakers some what but only getting a slight improvement. My setup pictured below for anyone who can see what’s wrong and what I can do to fix issue. My previous RP range did not exhibit this large null

6eea8bd61b8afb1194a7457652add9b2.jpg

b1a3015779d2645b276bce09d91e29db.jpg

60016218535bce13df8b51712997d12a.jpg

981979c8092146890dca5276a80af4d1.jpg

c625855b7c80126f82bd4ac3b3c9f2eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Looks like a kickass setup.  I’m surprised no one has responded yet.  

Nulls can be tough.  Is your room square?  Is the null only present in certain measurement locations?

It’s 4.3m wide 6.5m long 2.7m high. It’s my left front and rear right mostly between 1-3k range. I guess I’ll have to move speakers around more or maybe MLP also

Yes would try flat curve and doing some manual adjustment in the menu.

Since your other system did not have a null, may not be the room 

as much as speaker placement.

The Audessey may be having a prob with the front left and right.

Would place farther apart and closer to screen wall and rerun. Fronts abit higher?

So no specifics as much as a scattered approach from me. 

Coffee time.

• Like 1

Is your graph showing the readings from your Denon supplied microphone, plugged into the AVR and then displayed on a tablet?  Sometimes the microphone position in the room makes a huge difference. I like to place the mic on arm attached to a tripod and put the mic slightly higher and forward of my listening spot to reduce the chance of picking up reflected sound waves.

• Like 1

Is your graph showing the readings from your Denon supplied microphone, plugged into the AVR and then displayed on a tablet?  Sometimes the microphone position in the room makes a huge difference. I like to place the mic on arm attached to a tripod and put the mic slightly higher and forward of my listening spot to reduce the chance of picking up reflected sound waves.

Through app and I might move mic light you said and I’ll let you know how I go

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Through app and I might move mic light you said and I’ll let you know how I go

Been a while since last post, so busy with other things. Basically it’s the audyssey pre eq readings. Had a problem with my left speaker and decided to swap it with the right speaker and same null has followed the speaker in question. It’s a little better but still off. Could there be an issue with the speaker crossover possibly or could audyssey be off with readings, how much should you read into audyssey. Should I give rew and umik1 a go as I do have one. My rear speakers have the same null at the same spot, so what’s the chances of having 3 damaged speakers. I’m lost for what to do try now

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 7:09 PM, johnnyboy632 said:

Had a problem with my left speaker and decided to swap it with the right speaker and same null has followed the speaker in question... My rear speakers have the same null at the same spot,

I think you need to isolate which "system" is causing the condition. Is it the audio signal, or the room acoustics, or the loudspeaker. Maybe you could substitute a totally different loudspeaker into one of these exact positions and check how that measures and sounds.

I think you need to isolate which "system" is causing the condition. Is it the audio signal, or the room acoustics, or the loudspeaker. Maybe you could substitute a totally different loudspeaker into one of these exact positions and check how that measures and sounds.

I ran some sweeps with REW up close and from mlp to see if audyssey got things wrong but was coming up with similar results. I’m thinking now must be the speakers so detached the baffle and tweeter and found that all the insulation foam was stuffed in with no care, it was all bunched in one side of the speaker covering the crossover and speaker terminals. Pretty much I properly lined the inside of the speaker keeping all circuitry free of any foam and ran some more sweeps with REW. Your not going to believe it, it has pretty much flattened out the null. I didn’t think such a minor thing that only taken a few minutes would make a big difference. Obviously just pumping them out as quick as possible along the assembly line and just stuffing in the foam in wherever. Issue solved and thanks for the tips guys

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...