Klipsch Promedia 2.1 without the Sub

rmpotsy

I just purchased a Promedia 2.1 used, with out the subwoofer.  I don't really need a sub and they were a great deal so I though why not.  Now, I am not sure how to connect just the two speakers to my computer without the sub.  Do I have to use the sub?  I have all of the original cable and the pod, but connecting the two front channels without the sub seems to not be possible.  Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Welcome to the forum! 

Guess that it depends on your computer outputs. Tower computer had speaker outputs compatible for desktop speakers and my plasma monitor.

Guess you could use the sub and cut down the volume to zero?

Thanks @rmpotsy

Thanks billybob.  I purchased the speakers used without the sub, so connecting it and turning it down is not an option.  The cabling that came with the speakers (stock) seems to force you to connect the two front channel to the sub via 4 leads (positive/negative from each speaker).  I was hoping that the cabling would allow me to connect the two front channel together then connect to the computer with a standard headphone/speaker 3.5 mm jack, but that does not seem to be the case.  Each speaker has a 3.5mm jack on the back.  I was hoping someone here had a workaround for not having the sub.  

EDIT: the computer connection is a 3.5mm jack

Edited by rmpotsy
  • Like 1

Well, there are 2 ways I can look at it. Buy single 3.5 to 3.5 male jack cables the length you require, along with Y-splitter for the same or, buy something like these and diy it yourself with a Y-splitter. Take a look at the illustrations for understanding. 3 wires used. Additional wire is probably control wire:

https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-Replacement-Connector-Headphones-Headset/dp/B077XS77FG/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=3.5mm+jack&qid=1614618141&sr=8-4

8 minutes ago, billybob said:

Well, there are 2 ways I can look at it. Buy single 3.5 to 3.5 male jack cables the length you require, along with Y-splitter for the same or, buy something like these and diy it yourself with a Y-splitter. Take a look at the illustrations for understanding. 3 wires used. Additional wire is probably control wire:

https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-Replacement-Connector-Headphones-Headset/dp/B077XS77FG/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=3.5mm+jack&qid=1614618141&sr=8-4

Thanks again, I thought that would be my solution, but it does not seem to be working.  Are the speakers powered through the sub?  Do they need to be powered or is the amp on the computer sufficient?  I have them connected like you suggested, but the computer speakers are still playing.  I went in to settings and disable computer speakers and enabled the headphones, but there is just silence.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Yes you need the sub. The amp is built in to that and without the sub you have nothing.

Says the man from Tennessee....  (and he's right)

The amps that are in the sub power your speakers.  I'd imagine if you could take your jack to another amp then hook speakers to that amp you'd have SOMETHING but it still might sound a bit thin.

Yes we probably looking at 50 ohms coming out of computer connection. Sure there are ways around it but, guess I got talked out of it.

OP, let me know what you think about this situation. 

Good fortune to you meanwhile.

Thanks .. My