RIP Orby TV........................Anyone know an alternative

joessportster

I knew I'd have concessions living where I do.....so I'm living with DTV as much as I (cough) love them.... and Exede for internet.  Both satellite...so I have two dishes on my roof.

Couple years ago, maybe 4...  noticed some heavy equipment on my dead end road.  Long story short...  it's fiber freaking optic!!!  coming down my road.  I was giddy.  Watched them drill underground to run the fiber...

Then....halfway down my road, they did an abrupt turn and went into the subdivision that has TWO ....well, I'll call it three homes.  They cut off another FOUR existing homes with mine being the last one.

Talked to the installer.....he said he thought the road was someone's driveway (no....my driveway is another 1/2 mile down the road)  and he had no work order to go further.

I got a letter just last week from ATT (whom I really detest)  saying to the effect "now that you have fiber optic....  (we want to sell you something??)"

So I called the number knowing I'd reach a black hole of knowledge.....tried to explain to the gal that they turned halfway down my road and I could sign them up three out of three homes for fiber if they just finished it...

I get better answers talking to a brick......I finally hung up.

So fiber is within taste/smell.....  yet like that beautiful woman.....  belongs to someone else.  Probably won't get extended down here for another lifetime.

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, babadono said:

Roger. And I'm 15 to 20 minutes from I-15 halfway between LA MetroPlex and the San Diego MetroPlex. And service sucks.

Isn't that THE I-15. I seem to remember some show making fun of all the Californians adding "the" in front of the highway name/number. Sounds like we moved into our current locations around the same time....I have to tell myself there is nothing I can do about it. But it really, really is a sore spot with me. My neighbors all think I can fix it because I'm in that line of work and I've been here longer than all of them. I tell them I've just been pushing the rock up the hill longer than them. Sorry if I jumped in your $#it earlier. I'm so sick of explaining to "regular" folk:

no I've not seen <insert streamed flavor of the month>

they say go watch it on NetFix tonight, its great.

I can't

Why you cheap bastard pay for NetFlix

I can't 

Why

I told you this the last 5 times you asked me if I have seen X,Y or Z. I can't stream things

Why

Long explanation on my part

Really, that sucks you should move

No kidding, that never crossed my mind😑 You want to buy my house?

I'd never buy a house that I couldn't stream things at

Don't end a sentence with at

You deserve no Internet, your kid of a d!ck

I may have embellished the last part but that is pretty much how it goes

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, rplace said:

You and I are in the very same boat, Joe. It is hard to believe in this day and age that fast Internet is not available. I too am using cell service and the 10GB cap is a killer for anything except basic web page browsing. Dish/Direct are painful enough as a TV provider but forget them for Internet. OTA antenna is what it is given where you live. It has probably your local 3 ABC/NBC/CBS but that seem archaic these days.

SpaceX's Elon is launching Starlink and some people are already in Beta with it. Not available in my area yet. I'm hopeful that when it is, it is better than other Satellite Internet providers. I'm seriously thinking about moving because if the world has not come to me in almost 18 years....I don't think they will. Just a guess, but I think the local cable companies won't invest in laying more cable to rural locations as everyone expects 5G to be the magic bullet. 4G was not and it also took forever to get rural towers updated. I think we are just stuck.

Check out Starlink. For now they say no monthly contract. https://www.starlink.com/ It is in Beta so not quite ready for prime time. Personally, if I could get it today even with the high cost up front, I would. I'm willing to try anything new/different at this point.

Thanks Rich I did look at it but they have language that is very off putting IE... Once you sign up and pay your down payment there is "No Guarantee" you will ever get service. If you do the price of admission is right at 500.00 to start and right now slated to be 99.00 a month.........................I have the same reservations with Elon I had with Orby. If it does not turn a profit fast enough I am positive he will have no problem pulling the plug leaving countless people holding on to useless tech like I am now holding on to Orby

Call me SKEPTICLE

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shiva said:

What is the actual download speed of the internet service you have? 

Have you ever connected a Roku device via ethernet to the router you do have?

If you mean me I have no router I have a cell phone and share that DATA to get limited internet access that might allow me to stream a couple hours till I hit the 10 GB cap and Verizon throttles it WAY back were talking low Killbits after 10 GB limit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joessportster said:

If you mean me I have no router I have a cell phone and share that DATA to get limited internet access that might allow me to stream a couple hours till I hit the 10 GB cap and Verizon throttles it WAY back were talking low Killbits after 10 GB limit

Yes,  I was curious if you had internet besides the phone.  Can you get T-Mobile in your area.  If a phone is the only option right now, might be something to explore.   They do have unlimited plans and at a good price.  If you put 4 people on a plan, it is $26 per person. It looks like they have unlimited standard def streaming as well.  I have a similar plan myself.

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/essentials  

54 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Call me SKEPTICLE

I hear ya.... just after 18 years I'm ready to try just about anything. They already have my $99 and they don't have service in my area yet. Call me hopeful.

2 hours ago, rplace said:

I hear ya.... just after 18 years I'm ready to try just about anything. They already have my $99 and they don't have service in my area yet. Call me hopeful.

"Hopeful" 🤣  Im with you though ...........

2 hours ago, Shiva said:

Yes,  I was curious if you had internet besides the phone.  Can you get T-Mobile in your area.  If a phone is the only option right now, might be something to explore.   They do have unlimited plans and at a good price.  If you put 4 people on a plan, it is $26 per person. It looks like they have unlimited standard def streaming as well.  I have a similar plan myself.

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/essentials  

The only Reliable Cell service I get here is verizon. All others drop calls and Lose service, Even Verizon gets down to 1 bar at times

3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

-has anybody  ever seen Elon Musk not make Money or offer good service ,, I would expect exceptional quality , and the latest cutting edge technology

No such thing as perfection. The service he is discussing offering will cost tons to initiate, and tons to maintain. He is a billionaire by being smart in business, He is no different than anyone else when it comes to a new business venture,  if he sees it as a losing battle he will cut bait and run this way he stays a billionaire. 

You could be the smartest person on the planet , That does not give him or anyone insight to just how many people are willing to shell out the $ month after month making it profitable.

7 minutes ago, joessportster said:

You could be the smartest person on the planet , That does not give him or anyone insight to just how many people are willing to shell out the $ month after month making it profitable.

Joe -----you know what I like,     give me 30 days FREE  to evaluate the service and a total refund warranty ,  I use it , I like it , great ,  I pay for it --I dont like it , give me money back ----simple , easy business ---

Glad your off air antenna still bringing it in for you. News, weather, entertainment. Suppose you have already considered Hughes, Viasat for internet.

Too bad about Orby...

Think I too would recc. A service like YouTube.

For internet, also would recc. Starlink. Not much longer we should be hearing more about their service.

Thanks!