Gas bait and switch

CECAA850

Just curious as to whether or not this is a nationwide thing.  With gas prices raising about a dime a day (it seems) I've been watching the price signs at gas stations to see who has the cheapest prices.  It seems the common ploy around here is to advertise a really low price on the electronic display.  When you get to the pump you see that it's a "cash only" price.  Credit card can be as much as 20 cents a gallon more and that's normally how I pay as it's faster than going inside.  It started out as one or two stations doing it but the practice is spreading vaster than the Wuhan around here.  I'm not a fan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Just curious as to whether or not this is a nationwide thing.  With gas prices raising about a dime a day (it seems) I've been watching the price signs at gas stations to see who has the cheapest prices.  It seems the common ploy around here is to advertise a really low price on the electronic display.  When you get to the pump you see that it's a "cash only" price.  Credit card can be as much as 20 cents a gallon more and that's normally how I pay as it's faster than going inside.  It started out as one or two stations doing it but the practice is spreading vaster than the Wuhan around here.  I'm not a fan.

Interesting, I will  check here on Atlanta.

That is happening here too.  Some stations have been doing it for a number of years.  It started here with the gas stations associated with the large supermarkets.

I live in area where for at least 20 years the five local unaffiliated stations would charge 20-30 cents more than stations just 10 mile miles away in any direction.  They were relying on the convenience factor of people preferring to buy fuel near home, but I think there was some tacit collusion going on.  That went on for years until a corporate Murphy station replaced one of those stations.  Now the fuel prices are competitive.

• Like 1

Just now, Ceptorman said:

There are a few stations around here that charge more for using a CC, but they're always marked well. It's usually less than $.10.....We are $2.70 currently.

$2.35 was the cheapest I could find this morning.  It wasn't that long ago that we were under $2.00.

• Like 2

I can think of 8 stations around here and they all fluctuate on an daily basis.  Kroger has a station, which accepts their "shopping points" program.  Simple, ya shop in the grocery and for every $100 you spend on groceries ya get a dime off a gallon.  They also factor in "additional" points on specials, double coupon offers, points for using their credit card, etc.  They've got it made because the only other place in town is Wal-Mart. 

Wait, did I mention what they made last year?   https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/kroger-reports-third-quarter-2020-results-and-raises-full-year-2020-guidance-301185645.html 

Fuel wise though they all call each other if you can believe that.  Yup, they do!  Ohio "The Heart of it All."  😂

$2.69.9 here yesterday.  hahaha  Oh yea, round-up to $2.70

gas is so cheap right now... I don't really care to even pay attention.

that being said, the old lady works for Kroger, so she gets a decent percentage off at the pump on fills up... I don't out smith's/kroger fuel in my car.

Always(well as far back as I recall) been $0.10 less per gallon for cash where we fuel up. This is enough for me to use cash for gas. Plus the fact of the the skimming/ scamming at gas pumps that goes on around here.

Now as to prices going up...don't get me started..that could go political in a nanosecond.

14 minutes ago, babadono said:

Always(well as far back as I recall) been $0.10 less per gallon for cash where we fuel up. This is enough for me to use cash for gas. Plus the fact of the the skimming/ scamming at gas pumps that goes on around here.

Now as to prices going up...don't get me started..that could go political in a nanosecond.

Economic talk often turns political when one doesn't understand economics (not aimed at anyone in particular).

• Like 1

• Moderators

There are a couple stations here that have non ethanol which is slightly more but we like it better, with no choice but to pay what they charge we don't pay much attention. It is much more convenient to pay at the pump so you get use to it to the point it's aggravating to walk into the building.

It is what it is, still way better then lines at the pumps like in the late 70's. But it is like bait and switch.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dtel said:

There are a couple stations here that have non ethanol which is slightly more but we like it better, with no choice but to pay what they charge we don't pay much attention. It is much more convenient to pay at the pump so you get use to it to the point it's aggravating to walk into the building.

It is what it is, still way better then lines at the pumps like in the late 70's. But it is like bait and switch.

several years ago in Los Angeles, gas prices were ridiculous ... approaching $4 per gallon.  I was filling up my chevy Silverado and stopped at $99 because I just couldn't put $100 of gas in the truck ... something inside of me said "don't allow three digits" left of the decimal point. 

4 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

understand ... thanks.  however, will NON top tier fuel damage an engine or will the result just be lower efficiency?  

The non top tier fuels don't have the cleaning agents to keep the injectors and intake clean. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

several years ago in Los Angeles, gas prices were ridiculous ... approaching $4 per gallon.  I was filling up my chevy Silverado and stopped at $99 because I just couldn't put $100 of gas in the truck ... something inside of me said "don't allow three digits" left of the decimal point. 

I hear you, my truck holds 36 gallons, and it likes fuel.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

9 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I hear you, my truck holds 36 gallons, and it likes fuel.

GUTI or GOI.