Gas bait and switch

CECAA850

25 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The non top tier fuels don't have the cleaning agents to keep the injectors and intake clean. 

once again I must come to Professor Bourbon with another question.  Since there are far more gas stations than oil companies, where does Kroger get their gas?  Are oil companies like fast food joints that have "dollar menus" and Kroger buys from the dollar menu while chevron buys from the regular menu?

9 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

once again I must come to Professor Bourbon with another question.  Since there are far more gas stations than oil companies, where does Kroger get their gas?  Are oil companies like fast food joints that have "dollar menus" and Kroger buys from the dollar menu while chevron buys from the regular menu?

I'm guessing that they get it from the lowers bidder of local vendors.

It's like other things, one business manufactures products for different resellers and makes it to that particular buyers specs.

• Thanks 1

Its gone from around $2 to $2.70 around here in the past 3 months

Est food is also tracking 1 to 1 with fuel bases on cost of weekly shopping trips. 25-40% increase.

All of the products listed below will also be moving up with the price of gas + 40%.

I'll have to look for the cash price, usually credit card companies charge 2% ?

chart.png

25 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

The mid grade fuel is a mixture of regular and premium. I'm sure there are a few different quality levels of fuel. Some stations are known to have sub quality fuel but at a cheaper price.

Which is why I fill at Costco whenever possible. Top Tier gasoline at cheap(er) prices.

There are several reasons energy prices have risen 60% + - since first of year. The current blame for gasoline prices in the Midwest is Texas refineries shutting down during the Arctic blast.

51 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm guessing that they get it from the lowers bidder of local vendors.

It's like other things, one business manufactures products for different re-sellers and makes it to that particular buyers specs.

Refiners put it in the pipelines, local tank farms take it out, companies blend their special additives and truck it to market.

Maybe the big retailers have their own spigot on the pipelines, but I don't think so.

Tar sand oil arrives via BNR Trains aka Buffet Railways, at a few upper Midwest refineries who boil it off into various products leaving the leftovers, gas and asphalt. Pretty sure all the retailers get the fuel from here directly.

Refiners convinced towns to pay for their trash asphalt for road construction, and cars burn the other leftover garbage from refining lubricants.

barrel-of-oil-infographic.png

BlogGraphic_Aug14-1024x922.jpg

oil-barrel-breakdown_d6-657x1024.png

Twenty-six percent of the remaining crude oil goes into the production of diesel and other fuels.

About nine percent is used to make jet fuel.

Three percent of the crude oil goes into the production of asphalt to pave roads and parking lots.

One percent of this goes into the manufacturing of lubricants: the greases and fluids that help keep our world running smoothly.

The remaining fifteen percent is classified as other. These —bottom of the barrel " petrochemical products include thousands of different items, ranging from makeup to medicine.

In fact, we highlight these —Bottom of the Barrel " products in our Petroleum Product of the Week series to showcase just how many products we rely on daily are made using petroleum (at some point in the process).

Did you know that aspirin is a petroleum product? How about food coloring and vape juice? If you dress up your smile with some lipstick, your favorite brand might just be a petroleum product, too.

Every time you reach for something plastic or something made from synthetic rubber, you've got yourself your very own petroleum product. Glasses? Check. Styrofoam? Check. Toothbrush? Check. Even money contains elements of petroleum.

12 minutes ago, Bubo said:

Refiners put it in the pipelines, local tank farms take it out, companies blend their special additives and truck it to market.

It's similar to motor oil.  O'Reilleys doesn't own a refinery or bottling company.  Different brands are made side by side at the same facility and are blended and packaged to the specs of the individual company that's purchasing them.

• Like 2

@BigStewMan  top tier fuels are higher quality, meaning they are actually what the RON metric states they are (octane).  They also include specific detergents -

not using top tier fuels can lead to lower MPG as well as knocking / detonation.  It can also lead to higher amounts of carbon deposits building up. 

we do fuel samples when we have driveability concerns for warranty.  especially if it's an engine damage claim - we have to get a fuel sample and send it to lab... 

it does matter.   if i was driving an '89 honda - i wouldn't care.... but anything new - stick with TopTier fuel brands. 

• Like 2

if you are shopping for Diesel -  Meijer grocery stores actually have amazing diesel fuel.   We did 5 gallon samples a while back because we were having issues with diesels and bio-fuel failures... vehicles are typically OK up to 5%.... and lots of places use 11% and higher to get the subsidies/tax credits. 

Some of the Gasoline TopTier stations had the WORST diesel fuel.  BP and Shell were rocking at 20% plus bio....  but every Meijer gas station we went to consistently tested at  0%.   - incredible. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MercedesBerater said:

if you are shopping for Diesel -  Meijer grocery stores actually have amazing diesel fuel.   We did 5 gallon samples a while back because we were having issues with diesels and bio-fuel failures... vehicles are typically OK up to 5%.... and lots of places use 11% and higher to get the subsidies/tax credits. 

Some of the Gasoline TopTier stations had the WORST diesel fuel.  BP and Shell were rocking at 20% plus bio....  but every Meijer gas station we went to consistently tested at  0%.   - incredible. 

Bio fuels are what, the hydrogenated french fry oils that are impervious to soap, dish soap, easy off and direct flame trying to burn them off ?

12 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It's similar to motor oil.  O'Reilleys doesn't own a refinery or bottling company.  Different brands are made side by side at the same facility and are blended and packaged to the specs of the individual company that's purchasing them.

I was talking to someone who works at a cooking oil bottling company.

Pretty sure he said the same thing, I'll have to ask him the next time we speak.

16 minutes ago, Bubo said:

Bio fuels are what, the hydrogenated french fry oils that are impervious to soap, dish soap, easy off and direct flame trying to burn them off ?

We used to have a couple trucks come to our shop that ran on a majority percentage of biodiesel.  When they idled in the shop it made the whole place smell like a deep fryer.

38 minutes ago, MercedesBerater said:

...  but every Meijer gas station we went to consistently tested at  0%.   - incredible. 

I got Pfizer shot #1 at a Meijer store.  I hope it wasn’t even 1% bio-diesel.

We have used Meier gas exclusively in our personal and business vehicles for decades for local purchases with excellent results.  

FYI our younger son worked at a Meijer gas station.  Every morning someone drove around to check out the competitors’ prices.

3 hours ago, dtel said:

There are a couple stations here that have non ethanol which is slightly more but we like it better, with no choice but to pay what they charge we don't pay much attention.

The 1968 Chris Craft engines, carbs and gas tanks in my boat don't do well with ethanol gas, but I can't by non-ethanol gas on the lake.  It is against the marina rules to bring fuel in cans or tanks and refuel in the slip.  I wish at least one of the three marinas with fuel docks would carry real gasoline.  I would gladly pay a premium for that.

Prices & Best Gas Stations in Utica, NY

BJ's

BJ's 

400 River Rd
Utica, NY

$2.64
Price Reporter Icon visitor3 hours ago

Amenities

Pay At PumpPay At Pump
Membership RequiredMembership Required

Reviews

Wornhall's avatar image.
Wornhall
Sep 10 2018
Bad Review Icon

Usually lowest in the area, but needs membership I'd.

VIEW FULL STATION DETAILS
 Details
Pay With GasBuddy Banner
SavOn

SavOn 

5527 NY-31
NewYorkState, NY

$2.66
Price Reporter Icon bechler434 hours ago
CASH

Amenities

Offers Cash DiscountOffers Cash Discount
C-StoreC-Store
Pay At PumpPay At Pump
RestaurantRestaurant
RestroomsRestrooms
Air PumpAir Pump
ATMATM
Loyalty DiscountLoyalty Discount
BeerBeer

Reviews

colophonicd's avatar image.
colophonicd
Feb 05 2021
Great Review Icon

Fantastic convenience store and gas station run by Oneida Nation - huge variety in the store, slots if you care to gamble, and some of the best gas prices in the area. Only thing that could be improved is the restroom - men's room has one stall and one urinal which is kinda small for a station this size and they're looking worse for wear despite having been renovated in the last 5 or so years.

Details
Sunoco

Sunoco 

8199 Turin Rd
Rome, NY

$2.67
Price Reporter Icon MyVanIsBigger1 day ago
CASH

Amenities

C-StoreC-Store
Car WashCar Wash
Pay At PumpPay At Pump
Air PumpAir Pump

Reviews

maduram's avatar image.
maduram
Dec 16 2018
Bad Review Icon

no customer service people works there no respect to customer

Details
Sunoco

Sunoco 

6787 Martin St
Rome, NY

$2.69
Price Reporter Icon jfgordon45 hours ago
CASH

Amenities

Pay At PumpPay At Pump

Reviews

13480's avatar image.
Dec 04 2019
Bad Review Icon

Another bad place to stop not even open 24 hours

Details
Stewart's Shops

Stewart's Shops 

506 Eire Blvd W
Rome, NY

$2.69
Price Reporter Icon gbahr1 day ago
CASH

Amenities

C-StoreC-Store
Pay At PumpPay At Pump
RestroomsRestrooms
Air PumpAir Pump
ATMATM
BeerBeer

Reviews

13480's avatar image.
Oct 31 2019
Great Review Icon

Best place to stop in Rome

Details
Mohawk Fuel & Food Mart

Mohawk Fuel & Food Mart 

5773 NY-291
Marcy, NY

$2.70
Price Reporter Icon bobby5400015 minutes ago

Amenities

C-StoreC-Store

Reviews

m0neyz1ngh66's avatar image.
m0neyz1ngh66
Jan 25 2019
Great Review Icon

Great gas station, store is clean and everything works. New owners are very nice people. This is my new favorite stop

Details
SavOn

SavOn 

5233 Patrick Rd
Verona, NY

$2.70
Price Reporter Icon Lfortino21 day ago
CASH

Amenities

PropanePropane
C-StoreC-Store
Car WashCar Wash
Pay At PumpPay At Pump
RestroomsRestrooms
Air PumpAir Pump
PayphonePayphone
ATMATM
Service StationService Station

Reviews

barks's avatar image.
barks
Oct 22 2020
Great Review Icon

Very nice

Details
Byrne Dairy

Byrne Dairy 

16 Main St
NewYorkState, NY

$2.73
Price Reporter Icon dartgnon11 hours ago

Amenities

PropanePropane
C-StoreC-Store
Pay At PumpPay At Pump
RestaurantRestaurant
RestroomsRestrooms
Air PumpAir Pump
ATMATM
Loyalty DiscountLoyalty Discount
BeerBeer
WineWine

Reviews

anon_rw9fg2a3's avatar image.
anon_rw9fg2a3
May 09 2019
Great Review Icon

nice place

Details
Circle K

Circle K This station is verified!

4835 NY-365
Oneida, NY
REDUCED EMISSIONS!

$2.71
Price Reporter Icon DataFeed18 hours ago

Amenities

C-StoreC-Store
Pay At PumpPay At Pump
RestaurantRestaurant
RestroomsRestrooms
Air PumpAir Pump
PayphonePayphone
ATMATM

Reviews

Wowszer's avatar image.
Wowszer
Jun 17 2019
Great Review Icon

Great

Details
Maple Leaf Market

Maple Leaf Market 

6789 NY-13
Verona Beach, NY

$2.74
Price Reporter Icon dartgnon11 hours ago

Amenities

PropanePropane
C-StoreC-Store
Pay At PumpPay At Pump
RestroomsRestrooms
Air PumpAir Pump
PayphonePayphone

Reviews

shermancahal's avatar image.
shermancahal
Sep 27 2020
Great Review Icon

Amazing seasonal coffee choices from the Utica Coffee Company!

Details

4 hours ago, Bubo said:

bio fuels are bad for diesels - yes they're made from hydrogenated oils, restaurant oils, etc and blended into diesel

- they clog filters, lower BTU, and if left in a tank for extended periods (3-4 weeks) they can start to grow algae! 

ethanol is equally garbage for gasoline engines.  it can be lethal to small engines like lawn mowers and handheld tools.  Stihl products will fail in a season if using pump fuel - but will run for decades on ethanol free fuel.   higher content than 10% of ethanol can cause internal plastics to fail, gaskets to swell and fail etc.  

get as pure as you can, as often as you can. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MercedesBerater said:

bio fuels are bad for diesels - yes they're made from hydrogenated oils, restaurant oils, etc and blended into diesel

- they clog filters, lower BTU, and if left in a tank for extended periods (3-4 weeks) they can start to grow algae! 

ethanol is equally garbage for gasoline engines.  it can be lethal to small engines like lawn mowers and handheld tools.  Stihl products will fail in a season if using pump fuel - but will run for decades on ethanol free fuel.   higher content than 10% of ethanol can cause internal plastics to fail, gaskets to swell and fail etc.  

get as pure as you can, as often as you can. 

My landscaper neighbor used Stihls exclusively and went through a lot of them because of their inability to handle over-revving and destroying electronic circuit chips. He switched to Husqvarna.

Went to the Grocery Store at 5Pm

Two gas stations, across the street from each other,  had Regular for $2.70 a gal

Left the Grocery Store at 6pm

Once gas station had increased their price to $2.85 a gal

Electronic Bill Board with the pricing must be an advantage in inflationary times.

10 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

There are a few stations around here that charge more for using a CC, but they're always marked well. It's usually less than $.10.....We are $2.70 currently.

10 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

There are a few stations around here that charge more for using a CC, but they're always marked well. It's usually less than $.10.....We are $2.70 currently.

Looked at stations today, yeap .10 to .20 increase. Most stations here post one price and don't even said it's cash price. A few do show both cash and cc/debit price but not many.