Gas bait and switch

CECAA850

1 hour ago, MercedesBerater said:

bio fuels are bad for diesels - yes they're made from hydrogenated oils, restaurant oils, etc and blended into diesel

- they clog filters, lower BTU, and if left in a tank for extended periods (3-4 weeks) they can start to grow algae! 

ethanol is equally garbage for gasoline engines.  it can be lethal to small engines like lawn mowers and handheld tools.  Stihl products will fail in a season if using pump fuel - but will run for decades on ethanol free fuel.   higher content than 10% of ethanol can cause internal plastics to fail, gaskets to swell and fail etc.  

get as pure as you can, as often as you can. 

Older sons inlaws live in Canada... and have family in Atlanta. They have a Suburban , withe two tanks. One is diesel, the other vegetable oil reclamed from restos, fast food places. They have a process they go through to filter out the junk, heat it to drive out moisture, etc. They start the engine on diesel for five minutes or so, then switch over to the veggie oil. When they stop, they switch back to the diesel for a couple of minutes the clear the lines of veggie oil before shutting it off.

They've been doing it for years, with little problem.

Drove from Canada to Atlanta and back on veggie oil... coming through customs with the roof loaded with 5 gal. jugs of veggie oil. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MercedesBerater said:

bio fuels are bad for diesels - yes they're made from hydrogenated oils, restaurant oils, etc and blended into diesel

- they clog filters, lower BTU, and if left in a tank for extended periods (3-4 weeks) they can start to grow algae! 

Straight diesel can grow algae too.

• Like 1

@CECAA850  true, biodiesel is just much worse in about every way except lubricity. 

if i had an old Mercedes or Volvo diesel - i'd convert it to run on pure bio -  those things are incredible. 

i'm actually saving my couch-cushion money to get an old M35A2 with the multi-fuel engine -- kerosense, diesel, bio-deisel,  gasoline cut with used motor oil, etc -- heck yeah!    8" lift, on 53's,  bobbed axle.   mmm mmm mmm. 

On 3/2/2021 at 11:30 AM, dtel said:

There are a couple stations here that have non ethanol which is slightly more but we like it better

Here too and so do I. It does last longer, Ive fond non eth premium here and once in a blu moon or two I will fill up with it.

I swear the 2.7 Eco Boost loves this stuff.

7 minutes ago, MyOwn said:

Here too and so do I. It does last longer, Ive fond non eth premium here and once in a blu moon or two I will fill up with it.

I swear the 2.7 Eco Boost loves this stuff.

There's one station in the city here that sells non ethanol gas.  Regular grade only.  I use it in all my lawn equipment.  I tried a tank once and got worse gas mileage that the normal gas I use plus it was more expensive so that was the first and last time.

21 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

There's one station in the city here that sells non ethanol gas.  Regular grade only.  I use it in all my lawn equipment.  I tried a tank once and got worse gas mileage that the normal gas I use plus it was more expensive so that was the first and last time.

My pops swore up and down on non eth for small engines. This is what I ran in my lawn mower and snow blower all the time.

For the truck, I couldn't tell you if mileage is or was different vs 10 % eth.

I can tell you it seems to last longer and the GiddyUp seems to be better when running non eth. "Seems" I know is subjective.

57 minutes ago, MyOwn said:

My pops swore up and down on non eth for small engines. This is what I ran in my lawn mower and snow blower all the time.

For the truck, I couldn't tell you if mileage is or was different vs 10 % eth.

I can tell you it seems to last longer and the GiddyUp seems to be better when running non eth. "Seems" I know is subjective.

The ethanol is what ears up yet fuel lines and primer bulbs in small engines.  Its also hydroscopic so it attracts water which will build up in your gas can and gas tanks.

This has been every truck stop for a very long time.  Part of me wants to pull out a bunch of money for this... But I don't.  I'd imagine it'll be more difficult for businesses to handle cash vs digital funds, soon.  I never carry cash.