Cheap Steamer for Tidal MQA

wetowne

A few of you may be aware of my attempts to put together an inexpensive solution for streaming MQA. I tried the Dragonfly initially and failed.

Volumio software running on the Raspberry Pi does not do the first unfold as it is called.  The Dragonfly needs this first "unfold" to render full MQA.

Using Volumio you need a DAC that does the full MQA rendering process via hardware.

Up until now hardware MQA DACs were all somewhat pricey, enter the Khadas Tone2 Pro DAC headphone amp for under 200 dollars.

This is a very nice sounding DAC and voila it works well with Volumio. So now it is possible to stream Tidal MQA with a dedicated streaming device for about 275 dollars.

IMG_0219.jpg

Fair enough, not trying to fix any existing problems? Let us know what you find out.

Quite the heated topic over in the Roon world. I don't stream (because I can't) so I have zero experience with it. I am curious to hear genuine impressions when compared to same album/tracks of non-MQA stuff. 

• Like 1

I think MQA is lame hype only available on Tidal!. There are only a Limited amount of MQA tracks available and I did not hear any difference between MQA files and CD Quality files. Amazon HD music files sound better to me and you do not need an MQA Dac to unfold the files. I switched from Tidal to Amazon HD Music and will not be going back.

• Like 2

My two other systems I am very satisfied with and don't play around with them much at all. My third system is my sandbox, I've been trying out all kinds of different Amplifier and  DAC combos all with an emphasis on affordability. Just having fun.

My only other experience with MQA is with headphones and I'm not one who enjoys headphones all that much, so the goal here is to hear how it sounds with good speakers.

Initial impression is that MQA sounds excellent. Is it better? Maybe. Maybe not. The technology is interesting in how it supposedly gets more from less. Perhaps it's more VooDoo than science but sonically it appears to do no harm at least. Now  the whole licensing and marketing debate I'm not going there. I just figure it's part of my Tidal service so why not give it a sincere try.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 2:15 PM, Fido said:

I think MQA is lame hype only available on Tidal!. There are only a Limited amount of MQA tracks available and I did not hear any difference between MQA files and CD Quality files. Amazon HD music files sound better to me and you do not need an MQA Dac to unfold the files. I switched from Tidal to Amazon HD Music and will not be going back.

I definately hear a difference on MQA tracks on tidal when they are available. I've tried a dozen music platforms and tidal has been best quality wise so far. I use an EAD DAC.

On 3/2/2021 at 2:15 PM, Fido said:

I switched from Tidal to Amazon HD Music and will not be going back.

The Amazon Music interface is terrible. I couldn't ever get used to it. SQ was great but I just couldn't get over the usability.

2 hours ago, seti said:

I definately hear a difference on MQA tracks on tidal when they are available. I've tried a dozen music platforms and tidal has been best quality wise so far. I use an EAD DAC.

If I had heard a difference I would have stayed with Tidal but most of the music i love was not available as MQA files. Maybe if I was more into Rap, Hip Hop or EDM I would have found more titles. I love classic rock and acoustic covers etc. Regular Tidal CD quality sounded great but no better than Amazon HD. Glad you found the music you like on Tidal and that you can hear a noticeable difference.Sometimes I can not hear a difference in systems or cables or amps etc etc and I am aware that other people can. If I could I would buy the more expensive cables and subscribe to Tidal and buy more expensive amps and turntables etc. It is never about the $$$ for me - I just want things to sound as good as possible in my house with my system and the music I like to listen to.

2 hours ago, Fido said:

If I had heard a difference I would have stayed with Tidal but most of the music i love was not available as MQA files. Maybe if I was more into Rap, Hip Hop or EDM I would have found more titles. I love classic rock and acoustic covers etc. Regular Tidal CD quality sounded great but no better than Amazon HD. Glad you found the music you like on Tidal and that you can hear a noticeable difference.Sometimes I can not hear a difference in systems or cables or amps etc etc and I am aware that other people can. If I could I would buy the more expensive cables and subscribe to Tidal and buy more expensive amps and turntables etc. It is never about the $$$ for me - I just want things to sound as good as possible in my house with my system and the music I like to listen to.

Honestly I don't even look anymore to see if it is MQA I'm just happy they play when available. I like the interface and the features. Cool stuff.