First time using a receiver and new speakers..

TnGuy

Hello everyone so I ordered a set of Klipsch speakers in a package and the floor speakers have three terminals each and I do not know what to do with them. I have enclosed pictures of  the system I bought and the receiver and the back of the floor standing speakers. If someone would be so kind to help tell me how to hook those speakers to the front when my receiver only has one front channel. I'm lost. Thanks so much and have a great day! P.S. The receiver picture isn't showing up but it's the Denon

AVR-X2700H

download.jpeg-60.jpg

shopping.jpeg.jpg

AVR-X2700H-1b_19102020.jpg.webp

Edited by TnGuy
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum @TnGuy, and congratulations on your purchase. I can see how the terminals on your main speakers will confuse you, but luckily there's an easy explanation... 🙂

Let's take the bottom set of terminals first: those are the terminals for the main speaker, and if you look carefully, you will see that the two sets of terminals are actually bridged together with metal straps. You can connect your front left and right channels on your receiver to either of these sets of terminals. I normally just connect to the bottom pair. So for the left Front channel, connect black from your receiver Front Left channel to black on the bottom terminal and red to the red, etc. Don't remove the metal straps, as these are bridging the tweeter and woofers together. If you wanted to power the tweeter and woofers separately, you could remove the bridging straps and connect an output from an amp/receiver to the tweeter terminal and then another output to the woofer terminal... but this is definitely not needed or recommended, and you don't have enough channels on your receiver to do this anyway. So leave the straps in place and just connect to one of the terminals.

Now that you have your mains connected, let's look at the top set of terminals. These are for your Dolby Atmos height channels. The speakers are located on the top of the speaker box and are designed to fire up towards your ceiling and then reflect back down to your listening position, attempting to simulate overhead height speakers. This gets a little tricky, and I had to look it up in your owners manual to ensure I'm giving you accurate instructions. You need to connect the top terminals on your front (main) speakers to the terminals labeled "Surround Back" on your receiver. You will then go into the receiver settings and Set “Assign Mode” to “Front Dolby” in the menu for a  7.1-channel (front Dolby Atmos Enabled speaker) system.

I hope this isn't too confusing, but here are some pictures from your owners manual to help explain the Atmos speaker setup:

Example connections when using front Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers

This 7.1-channel surround system is the same as a basic 5.1-channel system but with front Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers.

1179787640_PictFrontDolbySPLayoutX2__ZHOBILybeyhvxo.png.abdb0c770f89062bf56918098c078d87.png

Set “Assign Mode” to “Front Dolby” in the menu. link

1285732954_ConneSP7.1FDX27E2_DRDZILvefmqxkf.thumb.png.07f7d7cd784feb25cc8f449aeee10269.png
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Ah, thank you Bill ( @willland ) and @Ceptorman. It's great that we have this platform to help others that are just getting started with this awesome hobby / "obsession"... 😉

4 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Be nice to save this to post when this question comes up.

Is there a particular way to save the post that you had in mind? Or were you just saying that it would be nice if there was a way? 🙂

3 hours ago, TnGuy said:

Hi, thanks so much for the help @inMotionGraphics . You couldn't have explained it better. I appreciate it.

You are most welcome my friend! I wish you all the best as you embark on this exciting journey... you won't regret it.

Brendon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, inMotionGraphics said:

Ah, thank you Bill ( @willland ) and @Ceptorman. It's great that we have this platform to help others that are just getting started with this awesome hobby / "obsession"... 😉

Is there a particular way to save the post that you had in mind? Or were you just saying that it would be nice if there was a way? 🙂

You are most welcome my friend! I wish you all the best as you embark on this exciting journey... you won't regret it.

Brendon

There is a way to make it a sticky, a mod or @Chad would have in initiate that.

Lots of helpful folks on here.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TnGuy said:

so the speaker wire is copper and silver, which would be positive and negative?

There's no right and wrong with this, IMO. However you choose to do it, keep that configuration the same for all terminals at each speaker and at the receiver. That keeps the polarity consistent. If you decide to connect the silver end to the black (negative) and copper to the Red (positive), do that everywhere.

As far as I know you won't fry anything if the polarity is inconsistent, it just won't sound right. Bass will sound weak. Heard about this from a friend. 😃

Should add, don't touch the silver and copper wires together when the opposite end is connected to your amp or receiver. A lot of amps and receivers have built in protection against this, but don't count on it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, billybob said:

Welcome to the forum !

Do you mean 1 all copper and 1 all silver color that is aluminum speaker wires?

@TnGuy

I bought 100 foot on a spool and it's clear coated and 1 wire is copper and the one beside it is silver in color. I figure I'll hook the copper to the red and silver to the black. I bought 16 gauge wire, is that good enough?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rivernuggets said:

There's no right and wrong with this, IMO. However you choose to do it, keep that configuration the same for all terminals at each speaker and at the receiver. That keeps the polarity consistent. If you decide to connect the silver end to the black (negative) and copper to the Red (positive), do that everywhere.

As far as I know you won't fry anything if the polarity is inconsistent, it just won't sound right. Bass will sound weak. Heard about this from a friend. 😃

Should add, don't touch the silver and copper wires together when the opposite end is connected to your amp or receiver. A lot of amps and receivers have built in protection against this, but don't count on it. 

Thanks so much. I'll keep the receiver off till I'm finished lol hopefully it won't hurt anything 😅

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sancho Panza said:

Most people use copper coloured wire to red, & silver to black.

I assumed this but assuming gets you into trouble sometimes so I wanted to come ask the professionals 😃😊 thanks for answering!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TnGuy said:

I bought 100 foot on a spool and it's clear coated and 1 wire is copper and the one beside it is silver in color. I figure I'll hook the copper to the red and silver to the black. I bought 16 gauge wire, is that good enough?

Yes that is good enough. And yes hook it that way is fine.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, billybob said:

Yes that is good enough. And yes hook it that way is fine.

Thanks, I also have banana plugs I'm going to use, this is all going up tomorrow coz my receiver was delayed but will be here tomorrow! I cannot wait!!! 😊😊 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TnGuy said:

Thanks, I also have banana plugs I'm going to use, this is all going up tomorrow coz my receiver was delayed but will be here tomorrow! I cannot wait!!! 😊😊 

Cool... Let us know how it turns out for you either way. Need help just ask here. The users manual is your friend.

• Thanks 1

16 gauge speaker wire will work, but larger wire would work much better, especially for the long runs to the surround speakers, since resistance increases with the length of the wire.  I recommend 12 gauge as a general purpose size, and nothing smaller, in order to carry a greater amount of the amplifier’s power to the speakers.  In regards to the colours of the wire, as long as you do it the same way throughout your system, it doesn’t matter.  Either way is fine.

As for the connections, you may want to study your manual, in order to see all the features and capabilities of your new sound system.  It can also be called a stereo, since stereo simply means more than one channel.  Usually it’s two channels, but it can have eleven channels and still be a stereo.

Welcome to the Forum, and happy listening!

• Thanks 1