Old Caps and Sound

AndreG.

I´m really just a noob when it comes to speakers, so i need the knowledge of this forum once again.

I have my Heresies, over 40 years old and i´ve always been wondering: What does a really bad cpacitor sound like? Distorted, bass missing or bad imaging (wall of sound)?

I know, the only objective way is to take it out of the XO and measure it, but that´s just numbers.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

I´m really just a noob when it comes to speakers, so i need the knowledge of this forum once again.

I have my Heresies, over 40 years old and i´ve always been wondering: What does a really bad cpacitor sound like? Distorted, bass missing or bad imaging (wall of sound)?

I know, the only objective way is to take it out of the XO and measure it, but that´s just numbers.

Yes, they may sound distorted, scratchy, intermittent, but most often sound like there's a blanket over the front of the speaker.  Muffled, too soft.

Measuring for uf value is not enough.  Need to measure for ESR as well.

• Thanks 1

You should get action here. Instead of measuring old caps, most just replacing, refreshing them. For closest to original sound, JEM seems to be gaining in popularity here as a newest Klipsch authorized supplier.

Thanks!

• Thanks 2

While my original Heresy's still had the original caps there was nothing about the sound that I can really point out... maybe missing highs but not until I replaced the caps did I notice that is was like removing a blanket from the speakers.  The music became more natural and real yet I thought it was sounding pretty good before.  It is mostly in retrospect that I would say it was muffled a bit.  Hear what you think!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndreG. said:

Thanks Billybob. Truth be told, i´ve already got new Jantzen Z-Caps here that i will install. I just wanted a discription of the kind of "bad" sound one would expect to hear.

Just saw on other thread you got some. Thinking you will be pleased. Thanks!

• Like 1

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Yes, they may sound distorted, scratchy, intermittent, but most often sound like there's a blanket over the front of the speaker.  Muffled, too soft.

Measuring for uf value is not enough.  Need to measure for ESR as well.

One of the best descriptions I have read.

Or, after a recap, "it was like blanket had been lifted."

To my ears old caps sound very similar to speaker that are out of phase.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

i´ve already got new Jantzen Z-Caps here that i will install.

smilie_op_007.gif  Well done Andre´ , one of the best affordable brands , Superior natural Soundquality, clear like a violine with the musical flow from a crystall clear mountain stream

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AndreG. said:

my Cornwall 1980 sounded muffled 10 years ago , the highs  and midrange were  dull -and the sound was  vague ,  the tweeter or the midrange sounded like 100$ speakers -the HF and mids were  lacking , LF  was very boomey   ---total lack of clarity --capacitors  replaced ----and the Highs sparkled and the midrange cleared up with detail -

Now oddly , my Heresy 1 -1977 and 1980 are as good as they were 40 years ago  , I know the caps are old , but damn do these speakers sound amazing and I am hooked on that sound ---

• Like 4

4 hours ago, billybob said:

You should get action here. Instead of measuring old caps, most just replacing, refreshing them. For closest to original sound, JEM seems to be gaining in popularity here as a newest Klipsch authorized supplier.

Thanks!

Sent my AA Crossovers off the JEM today, to remove & salvage the Sonicaps, return to Klipsch specs...

• Like 2

JEM Performance Audio:

AA Crossovers, with Sonicaps, from my 1980 La Scalas.

Sent the wife & son to the .9 of a mile away UPS Store. They wouldn’t take cash, so they had to go 6 miles away to ship.

In order to insure for the minimum $300 recommended by Jim, UPS insisted on packing themselves. Shipping cost to Jim $35.

Please note, his preferred carrier is FedEx; but, it’s not convenient to the house.

So, I suspect return shipping will be less. His pricing to me will remain between us, unless he sez it’s OK to disclose...but, was inexpensive, at first appraisal...

• Like 1