Old Caps and Sound

AndreG.

On 3/2/2021 at 3:32 PM, babadono said:

Do one speaker, compare. My $0.02

^^^ This.

Even better, only do one section of one speaker at a time. I did that method on a set of KG2.5's several years ago. The biggest difference was in replacing the bipolar electrolytics; speakers were surprisingly congested and flat before that move. Used ERSE poly's there, and a Crites kit for the rest. The other caps, the titanium domes were nice improvements, but swapping the old bipolars was mandatory to get the crossovers working right. I could have stopped there and been happy...

...but that's not what this hobby is about for me.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 1:41 PM, AndreG. said:

I´m really just a noob when it comes to speakers, so i need the knowledge of this forum once again.

I have my Heresies, over 40 years old and i´ve always been wondering: What does a really bad cpacitor sound like? Distorted, bass missing or bad imaging (wall of sound)?

I know, the only objective way is to take it out of the XO and measure it, but that´s just numbers.

If capacitors are too old (over 20-30) they sound like your favorite amp and or speakers blowing up and creating expensive repairs.

I had two amps blow recently, fortunately didn't take the Heresys with them but it didn't sound good.

In addition to electrical testing, I took the speakers apart to examine them. Fortunately I couldn't find any damage, hopefully a coil was not burned. TBD

PS I love Berlin, only regret that I wasn't there more often. Great City with great people....

0be1b22b0f822ae4032f91ec7f8de44a.png