CF 4 upgrades

HI.

I have a pair of CF 4's I plan on relocating to the garage, there is some swelling and separation.in the MDF. I am going to try to replicate the boxes and hopefully upgrade them. I know last time I checked there were no replacement diaphragms available for the horns. has that changed? Is there a driver that would work and be considered an upgrade? better woofers available? 2nd version

Mike

2 hours ago, rmichael21 said:

HI.

I have a pair of CF 4's I plan on relocating to the garage, there is some swelling and separation.in the MDF. I am going to try to replicate the boxes and hopefully upgrade them. I know last time I checked there were no replacement diaphragms available for the horns. has that changed? Is there a driver that would work and be considered an upgrade? better woofers available? 2nd version

Mike

It sounds like there will be no salvaging of your cabinets. While it is not veneer covered if you are going to rebuild the cabinets may I suggest Baltic Birch plywood? You will NEVER have to worry about water doing anything but staining if you do. As kind of a joke I put an 18mm piece outside on the dirt a year ago last October. It is still there and while weather worn not falling apart and not rotten. It is the superior cabinet material and you now have learned the hard way why MDF sucks.  

I don't have any direct experience with CF-4 upgrades, but on the Klipsch Epic owners group thread (in 2-Channel Home Audio) some people have talked about upgrading the horn driver to an Electro-Voice DH-1506, extending the ports to 5-inches in v2 and v3, replacing the woofers with CIARE woofers, rebuilding the crossovers, reinforcing the cabinets, and damping the frame structure of woofers and horns with silicone or dynamat. Probably some other things, too. I'll let the folks who have real world experience with those changes fill in the details.

If you do decide to change out your woofers and you are sure they are v2 (v2 woofers are supposedly the same as v1), I might be interested in buying them because mine are v3 (which has a lighter cone, said to be inferior to the originals). You can't buy the original woofers anymore, so I'm real curious about how they would sound in my CF-4's. In any case, good luck with your upgrade project!